Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i hope someone can help. I have a phev due in a few weeks and i have ordered my new free charging point. There is a £95 upgrade option on the charger to 32A but in the phev literature it lists 10a , 16a and rapid charging options, nothing about the 32a. Does this mean that the32a is not an option for the phev.
I am interested in also fitting a rapid charger at our business head office as i plan to change some of our company cars to ev equivalents, does anyone have an idea how much these cost to fit

Im not up to speed on the jargon yet so im struggling to understand all that im reading

Any help/advice will be greatly received.

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
363 Posts
I took the option although the phev won't benefit. It's in prevision of the next car which I hope won't lug around a petrol engine and will support charging a larger battery at 32 amps.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Yep the outlander will still be able to charge on the 32A station but due to the on board charger only able to take 16A, you will not benefit from the faster charge rate. But it still is worth installing the 32A for the future. For me 32A should be a standard on new EVs.

The figure I keep seeing about installing a rapid charger is £20k. But this depends on location of the rapid and what station you choose. Why not get in contact with @Thephoenixworks for a quote?

·
Super Moderator
6,338 Posts
I am interested in also fitting a rapid charger at our business head office as i plan to change some of our company cars to ev equivalents, does anyone have an idea how much these cost to fit
Depending what your business is means you probably could just use a 32a fast charger.

Taxi, deliveries etc then a rapid would pay for itself, but if all you need is to charge up while you are in the office for 8 hours then go for a fast charger. Someone from ZCW might provide the unit for free if it is public accessible.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Rapids can vary quite a bit, but as suggested above, depending on what EVs your thinking of and how many, may mean that option is not economical.

You could install numerous 7kW or even 22kW fast chargers for half the cost of a single rapid.

·
Registered
118 Posts
@Sion great choice of vehicle but I would say that as I have one.
Drop me a line if you want some advise about commercial charging solutions rapids may be a little over kill as @AndyG just mentioned and your finance director may get upset.
[email protected] cheers

·
Registered
50 Posts
Personal view but for a home charger I simply don't think the upgrade is worth it. I intend keeping my PHEV for at least 3 years and the 32A (for the extra £100) offers no benefit. My first full charge suggests about 4 hours with my BG installed 16A. As I charge overnight what is the benefit of being faster (even if it did work which it doesn't) - I need more than 4 hours sleep!
The idea of "futureproofing" is a myth - the reality is cash upfront now for a technology that has no immediate use and may either become cheaper or obsolete.
I put CAT 5 sockets all over my house in 2001 - before wifi.....

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
When I bought my Leaf over 3 years ago I opted for a 32A even though the Mk1 Leaf could only charge at 16A.

I have never needed the 32A in the 3 years and I now regret paying for the upgrade. The future-prooing argument is flakey at best given that we all keep our cars for years. Tech changes fast in the EV wold and so I have now changed my approach.

I now only get what I need right now. If I need to change in the future then so be it but by then I'll probably have more choice and other options open to me.

If you are expecting to have EV visitors then it might be worth it but then get a charging unit with a type 2 socket rather than a tethered cable so all car types can charge.

Personally, I wouldn't get a 32A charger upgrade now unless I needed it for the car I was buying.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The faster it charges the better in my eyes. I get home with 20miles remaining. If I did have a 32A on board charger, an hour charge can double this to 40miles allowing me to go back out in the night with out waiting around for a rapid charge.

£100 extra to install a 6mm2 cable, a 32A MCB and a 32A EPC in my eyes is worth it because in 5 years time you will regret it when it takes 20+ hours to fully recharge your 200 mile BEV.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Except that the OP only has a car that can charge at 16A so getting a 32A charger would be a total waste unless they expect to get EV visitors.

In 5 years time they will need a new charger anyway! After 3 years I am on my 2nd already!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I went for 32a rather than 16a with the Ampera, knowing I wouldn't use the extra, since for £95 I figured all the components and wiring would be operating well within their spec - nothing would be operating 'near the top of it's range' within the charger. Given the cost of the car and how much I was saving running it I liked the idea :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts