Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my daughter to Uni in Exeter from London yesterday. It was my first time driving beyond the range of the car within a day. The 170 miles drive out went really well with perfect 17C sunny weather and arrived in Exeter with around 60miles remaining range, exactly as predicted by the GOM.
Needing a few groceries, we drove to Morissons intending to use the Genie Point Fast charger there. Connected and started the charge with their app after seeing the charge appearing to start according to the car dashboard. 20 min later, the remote app was showing the charging still as initialising. I thought it might be the app not updating but unfortunately after 40 min in the shop, we came back to a car that had taken just 0.715kwh from the charger. Disappointing but I had planned to stop at the ionity station on the M5 anyway as this charge would not have been enough in any case.

The ionity experience was almost perfect (at that price it'd better be), connected the car, scanned the QR, followed the link, did a paypal payment and charger steadily delivered over 70kw. I barely had time for lunch in the car whilst the range went from ~35 miles to 160. It seems trying to open the windows using the remote (in there another way when the car is off?) might have interupted the charge (it would make sense since it activates the port release) and I had to restart the it to get to the 190 mile range I wanted to drive 165 miles return.

Unfortunately, by then the outside temp was 24C and needing the AC on the motorway, I knew another top-up would be needed. I had a frustrating experience at a Amesbury Polar charger which failed to take contactless payment and appeared to be unreachable by the app with phone support missing in action.

It looked like another genie point charger at the Weyhill service station would make up for that but unfortunately only delivered 5kwh and couldn't restart the charge. It looked like I was just going to be able to make it home with the GOM showing 15 miles range more than needed but things took a bleak turn when on restart the car dash showed 'High voltage system fault detected vehicle will not start or charge' . As luck would have it, only the latter part was true. The car started and I made it home with 10% battery left driving the remaining 65miles at around 60mph and swapping the M25 and A3 stretch to the slow speed of the more direct suburban route.

However the fault has stayed and the car still starts but with 20miles range and unable to charge at home, it's not going anywhere. I'll be in touch with the lease company for the next steps. Scouring a few forums yielded no reset procedure I could try and the car e-guide doesn't even mention that fault.

I was hoping that trip become the template approach for future long drives but now just grateful it didn't finish with a long wait for a flat bed truck 60 miles or more from home.

On another note, it looks like Jag designers have completely overlooked you might be sitting in a car whilst charging. You can't open the windows, can't use the aircon, the infotainment sytems will switch off every 10-15 min and has to be restarted each time. It's a shame as the car is one of the nicest place you can be in at many service stations.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,395 Posts
12v battery is probably low voltage or toast. That causes all manner of gremlins including being unable to charge.

You should be able to use the infotaintment etc. Either press the power button twice or long press it once. If you just use the controls directly I think you end up being accessory mode which runs off the 12v so this might be why it's gone daft.

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
kudos to Jaguar and the roadside engineer they sent today who spent a good 1h30 on the car, checking every basics and then updated any software module that could be and lo and behold, the fault is gone and the car is charging.

Goes to show that these updates need to be delivered over the air if the lack of them can cause a fault as bad as that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts