Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 80 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Does anyone else have a view...?
So how much did CM pay MKC for the bays which are now their own private trading area?
Can anyone set up a private* charger in a reserved space?

*in this case private means anyone with one of my rfid cards (£10000 registration) who tries to use it will be billed at £10 per second, (Note if it's my companies charger I'd get company discount - free!)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I hope they do make this change - it will be fascinating to see how many posts are used when the cost is slightly above that of charging at home. My guess is that they will still be largely unused and that free is the only price that makes it attractive for most.
I would charge for 15p per kW good deal

·
Registered
407 Posts
This is a list of the 64 charge only bays from Sara:-
  • Silbury Boulevard - outside Diechman Store - 6 bays
  • Silbury Boulevard - outside Burger King - 6 bays
  • Silbury Boulevard - outside Currys - 4 bays
  • Silbury Boulevard - outside Disney Store - 4 bays
  • Silbury Boulevard - outside Coventry B Soc. - 4 bays
  • Silbury Boulevard - outside Cauldwell Estate Agents - 4 bays
  • Silbury Boulevard - outside Virgin Monay - 4 bays
  • Silbury Boulevard - Lloyds Court - 2 bays
  • Saxon Gate - outside M&S - 6 bays
  • Midsummer Boulevard - outside Post Office - 4 bays
  • Midsummer Boulevard - outside John Lewis - 6 bays
  • Iceland - 6 bays
  • Civic Offices - 4 bays
  • Travelodge - 2 bays
  • All Bar One - 2 bays
Total of 64 EV parking bays.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It's clear chargemaster are trying to force a precedent of charging rates as they know (and it has been used in responses from mkc) that london are due to set their rates the same. That to my sound like inside trading which is illegal isn't it?
So.eveeyone please complete the source london survey and state per kwh charging and 15p per kwh cost!
Only a few months until they announce their pricing which will ring high in the market and if they did the same as York mkc argument would be null and void and CM would have to revise their prices to compete!

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Anyone here smart enough to flip that and figure which are free and not subject to this council/private company charge collusion?

Seems odd that the council are attempting to coerce (almost force) members of the public to pay for a third party service they claim they make no money from at all.

Disgusting.

·
Registered
407 Posts
This is a list of the 64 charge only bays from Sara:-
No. of bays

Silbury Boulevard - outside Diechman Store

Silbury Boulevard - outside Burger King

Silbury Boulevard - outside Currys

Silbury Boulevard - outside Disney Store

Silbury Boulevard - outside Coventry B Soc.

Silbury Boulevard - Outside Cauldwell Estate Agents

Silbury Boulevard - outside Virgin Monay

Saxon Gate - outside M and S

Silbury Boulevard - Lloyds Court

Midsummer Boulevard - outside Post Office

Midsummer Boulevard - outside John Lewis

existing bays at Iceland

existing bays at Civic Offices

existing bays at Travelodge

existing bays at All Bar One

Strangely if this is based on usage it must have been from before the charges were brought in as these spots were the ones I used regular (mainly because they were the only 32a points commissioned at the start of this year)
A cynic would say that the decision would have been make by CM who were looking to maximise profit by picking favorite areas, and they can because they provide the usage data to MKC and are directly able to manipulate the data with directed employee usage (which would be linked to a free card for staff of course).
Would explain the ampera I saw connected outside virgin money on 13th april that had drawn about 8 kwh as Julian will know no ampera owner who had to pay for charging at even £1.50 per hour would do as more than the cost of petrol.
So how about this as an idea. CM staff are given the company car and told to go and park in these locations as much as possible to fabricate demand... sounds very possible and viable...

·
Banned
961 Posts
Anyone here smart enough to flip that and figure which are free and not subject to this council/private company charge collusion?

Seems odd that the council are attempting to coerce (almost force) members of the public to pay for a third party service they claim they make no money from at all.

Disgusting.
How exactly are they forcing anyone to pay for anything?

Something was free, it no longer is. Throw all toys out of the pram.

·
Registered
407 Posts
How exactly are they forcing anyone to pay for anything?

Something was free, it no longer is. Throw all toys out of the pram.
Because we are told we still get free parking but to be eligible for that we must be paying £1.70 per hour to be connected to charge point.. hence offering one thing on the condition of another is manipulating us into buying something we don't want.
But you're right in that we are not being forced, just royally pissed about.

·
Registered
253 Posts
[QUOTE MK Tom, post: 36610, member: 506"]This is a list of the 64 charge only bays from Sara:-
No. of bays

Silbury Boulevard - outside Diechman Store

Silbury Boulevard - outside Burger King

Silbury Boulevard - outside Currys

Silbury Boulevard - outside Disney Store

Silbury Boulevard - outside Coventry B Soc.

Silbury Boulevard - Outside Cauldwell Estate Agents

Silbury Boulevard - outside Virgin Monay

Saxon Gate - outside M and S

Silbury Boulevard - Lloyds Court

Midsummer Boulevard - outside Post Office

Midsummer Boulevard - outside John Lewis

existing bays at Iceland

existing bays at Civic Offices

existing bays at Travelodge

existing bays at All Bar One

64[/QUOTE]

The john lewis ones have never worked so selection based on usage is a lie.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
so a couple of things I can suggest

1. goto a MK council meeting and during the part of the meeting that is open to the public raise this, keep raising it and become a royal pain in the arse. The local papers will be in attendance so good chance to bring this up

2. Submit a FOI request to find out how many MKC employees get free cards from chargemaster and ask if these are considered benefits in kind

3. Do not shop in MK, make a consious decision to go elsewhere and let the shop keepers association know why

4. Start a social media campaign on facebook to garner support and focus all the above in one place

·
Banned
961 Posts
Because we are told we still get free parking but to be eligible for that we must be paying £1.70 per hour to be connected to charge point.. hence offering one thing on the condition of another is manipulating us into buying something we don't want.
It's a perfectly reasonable condition - otherwise all the spaces will be ICEd by EV drivers who don't want to charge and nobody will be able to use the posts at all.

But you're right in that we are not being forced, just royally pissed about.
This was known months and months ago that some spaces would become 'charging only'. I don't think that classes as being 'pissed about'.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Having spent a lot of time recently in other towns and cities I appreciate you're used to horrific parking conditions (in every sense) but in Milton Keynes we're just not. I'd rather we were not dragged down to the levels of other towns in that regards.

Honestly, outside of MK I'm not sure I'd own or regularly use any form of car.

·
Registered
528 Posts
It's clear chargemaster are trying to force a precedent of charging rates as they know (and it has been used in responses from mkc) that london are due to set their rates the same. That to my sound like inside trading which is illegal isn't it?
So.eveeyone please complete the source london survey and state per kwh charging and 15p per kwh cost!
Only a few months until they announce their pricing which will ring high in the market and if they did the same as York mkc argument would be null and void and CM would have to revise their prices to compete!

CM told MKC these prices would be best for all (all being CM). MKC shrugged and said OK.
Now CM can tell Source London that "Well that's what we did in MK and it's a got the biggest charging infrastructure in the UK, so the model will suit you too."
Source London - shrugs and says OK. (CM grins.)

Now if enough people do the Source London survey and ask for Per kWh prices, maybe SL will say, that's very interesting, but 5000 people on our survey said they'd prefer the CYC/York model...
CM go very quiet...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
@fenlander I don't know if you support CM or are just being devils advocate, but perhaps you could have a go at trying to justify this point: a private company being given (at we assume no cost) a hundred parking spaces in which to make a profit by charging people to use those spaces.

When these spaces were free to EV's that were not charging there was no monopoly on the space, now they are compulsory(set by council) to charge and therefore pay, they are the exclusive trading area of CM.

·
Banned
961 Posts
I'm not defending anyone - this exclusivity is true of any charging post anywhere, unless you think ICEing is good.

Park in a different space?

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
I'm not defending anyone - this exclusivity is true of any charging post anywhere, unless you think ICEing is good.
Aren't many posts multi-card, not exclusive?

Park in a different space?
For which you are penalised with a charge.

If you want to be positive MK Council are incentivising you to give money to Chargemaster, if you want to be negative, they're charging you to avoid paying Chargemaster.

Seems odd to me, considering they claim to have made no money from this agreement.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I'm not defending anyone
I didn't make that claim.
- this exclusivity is true of any charging post anywhere
No it's not. It's a private land verses public land issue, motorway services (ecotricity) are not public land, neither are pubs and hotels (zeronet).

Yes it does affect all onstreet chargers where an exclusive trading area (used for generating profit) is provided on public land by a council for free of charge.

Reactions: Paul

·
Banned
961 Posts
Aren't many posts multi-card, not exclusive?
I can't think of any pay-for posts that are - do you have examples? (Free posts, yes, but that's irrelevant.)

If you want to be positive MK Council are incentivising you to give money to Chargemaster, if you want to be negative, they're charging you to avoid paying Chargemaster.

Seems odd to me, considering they claim to have made no money from this agreement.
This makes no sense. They have given the contract to a company to operate the posts on their behalf - nothing different from the provision of many other council services. IIRC we were told on this forum that nobody else even bid for the project - they all wanted paying to run the network.

61 - 80 of 194 Posts