Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Kona64
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi = I had a original flavour 7kw GTE, but the new ones are near double in battery capacity
A friend has asked me what do I think of the new ones, and I guess the near-double battery is a stonking plus point
I've told them to have a good read of this forum to learn what more about pros cons tips.

Of course the EV range is a major item - what do users actually get ? ( my best in the one I had was 26real miles but it was that smaller battery)
35-37 real ? I am guessing Passat owners with the same battery but heavier car get 30-34 ?

I think the GTE is one of the better intro-to-EV motoring cars, so clever and so much fun.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
I am guessing Passat owners with the same battery but heavier car get 30-34 ?
For the last couple of weeks, I've been averaging 3.4mi/kWh in my Passat (70 plate). This is about 60% hilly country road miles, 40% city miles, probably 8-12C outside temperatures most of the time. There was one day where it was 16C and I got 3.8mi/kWh on the same journey. In the dead of winter (sub zero), I was getting maybe 2.3mi/kWh. So with my 10kWh usable of the 13kWh battery, that puts me in a weather dependent 23-38 miles for my particular route.

All of this is with the A/C set to 20C, usually with a passenger and/or a boot full of junk, and driving fairly sensibly. I take things leisurely, change speed smoothly, but generally drive at the speed limit - basically I'm faster than the average Prius but BMWs and Audis still hate me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Since I got my Golf Mk8 GTE last October I have learnt a lot how to maximise electric range. Travel slowly, accelerate gently, avoid hills, turn off heating and air conditioning and only drive when the air temperature is above 12C. Doing this and you might, just might get the 39 miles that some reviewers mention but where’s the fun in that. I regularly do the same 30 mile round trip. The first 3 miles includes a long climb so I put it in hybrid mode and for most of those 3 miles the engine is running. If the weather is chilly I wait until the water temperature gauge reaches 60C and then turn on the heater but usually I don’t bother. After 3 miles I have reached the highest point and for the rest of the journey and all the way back I drive in electric. I travel at 60mph for much of the way, traffic permitting, appreciating the amazing handling. I think when the weather warms up I might be able to do the entire trip in electric. If the whole journey was on the level I’m convinced I could do it electric only even if the weather was cold.

On longer journeys I have learnt to use hybrid (engine) climbing hills (there are a lot of hills where I live) and switch to electric on the level and regenerate downhill. Driving this way the engine has a chance to warm up so that when there is an opportunity to overtake I flick the gearbox into ‘S’, floor the throttle and roar past like shit off a shovel with me smiling from ear to ear. Very impressive, entertaining, challenging. What’s not to like?

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
For the last couple of weeks, I've been averaging 3.4mi/kWh in my Passat (70 plate). This is about 60% hilly country road miles, 40% city miles, probably 8-12C outside temperatures most of the time. There was one day where it was 16C and I got 3.8mi/kWh on the same journey. In the dead of winter (sub zero), I was getting maybe 2.3mi/kWh. So with my 10kWh usable of the 13kWh battery, that puts me in a weather dependent 23-38 miles for my particular route.
Yesterday, I managed a new personal best on this journey.... 4.2mi/kWh :oops:

I feel like I should get a medal or something.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yesterday, I managed a new personal best on this journey.... 4.2mi/kWh :oops:

I feel like I should get a medal or something.
Yesterday was the first day since buying mine , January this year, that I managed my commute too and from work on just electricity. My commute is 12 miles and I only charge at work ( free electricity ) I usually get home with about 14-15 miles left on the GOM but with colder mornings the engine usually cuts in about 1-2 miles from work. But Yesterday I did the full commute on electric
Only people on this forum would understand the sense of achievement I felt doing this
I'd also like a medal if they're being dished out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
“Only people on this forum would understand the sense of achievement I felt doing this”
I agree with you Somlinson32 that achieving a good range from the GTE is very satisfying but I fear we can easily miss out on the GT element of the car. Every now and then, just give it the beans and bugger the consumption. Like someone said (might have been on this forum), with the GTE you can be Greta Thunberg in the morning and Max Verstappen in the afternoon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts