Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

MMCS - Really?

15K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Simon Wardle 
#1 ·
o_O Well, had the Outlander a few days and can honestly say that the MMCS is a massive disappointment, even my Father-in-Law's Dacia has a more functional user friendly system!

What system does not show phone numbers calling/waiting or enables you to look at the call list (Received/Dialled/Missed)?

Having said that it has a barometer, altimeter, and a calendar to name but a few! WTH?

I could actually rant.....;)..... but interested in other owners opinion?

Also interested in anyone with front parking sensors..... now they are pants!!! :mad:

#2 ·
I agree, it's not great but then again, despite being a computer and gadget geek, I don't care much at all about in car electronics. I am kind of glad Mitsu didn't spend much investment money on being up there with the best on that and other interior details as it could have pushed the cost beyond what I am comfortable with. But you are right, MMCS made me want to open the manual! that is bad indeed.

My main gripe is the trip computer. I can't remember any of my previous cars not showing time and distance driven with average speed and consumption. I might have missed it but I found it on all the other cars without opening a manual.

#4 ·
Perhaps getting the GX3h was a good decision. There is no satnav, no remote app but at £4,000 lower I feel I can justify spending on a decent satnav - any suggestions?

I don't mind the trip computer - it promotes mental arithmetic.

However, I might miss the electric heater that you have in the GX4h, as it will be necessary for me to fire up the ICE to get heat in winter, which will wipe the holier than thou smile off my face!

First on my wishlist would be fix the regen effect when fully charged. I think the Prius does this better. And a 32A charger.

#8 ·
First on my wishlist would be fix the regen effect when fully charged. I think the Prius does this better. And a 32A charger.
When you say "fix the regen effect"... what do you mean?

If you mean that there is no regen when fully charged then that cannot be "fixed" as such. Regen requires that there be sufficient spare capacity in the battery to store the regenned energy and without that capacity there is no where for the energy generated to go.

This is a characteristic of all electric cars.

There is a way round it... don't fully charge and you will have the spare capacity... obviously not a good solution but many people that live at the top of a long hill won't charge to 100% so they can get regen on the way down.

BTW... I would imagine that the non plug-in Prius might seem to do it better because it hardly ever has a full battery!

#9 ·
BTW... I would imagine that the non plug-in Prius might seem to do it better because it hardly ever has a full battery!
I didn't think of that. Mine did not have plugs except for a couple of 12V accessory sockets.

In the morning I have to pull up out of the drive onto the main road (40mph limit) then it is flat for about 100 yards then downhill to the lights. On a good day the lights are green so I can coast through on B0 (no regen), but some days I have to brake quite strongly to stop. I can be a bit dozy first thing so I am trying to slow for the lights using B5 (max regen) and nothing happens. If I had the model with the electric heater it might be ok - I could put the heater on to draw power.
The Prius had a B mode which you could use instead of D mode. My understanding was that B mode applied an engine braking effect, without any regen, which I assumed applied the brakes for how else could it slow down. I never used this mode as I preferred to use the footbrake to slow the car on hills when needed. Perhaps the next gen Outlander might apply the brakes instead of regen if no regen was available, but regen was requested but I haven't really thought this through so I am not sure whether it is a rubbish idea.

#7 ·
Yes really. It's not good, one of the major let downs with an car like this. The fact the steering wheel controls have a separate off hook and on hook button for the phone you have to press is such a major fail.

To be fair the LEAF is a PITA too compared to the 2007 Nissan NavTAINMENT SYSTEM we know from the Xtrail. Steering wheel controls should be simple and clear. MMCS is just odd, and Nissans system relies on touch screen not steering wheel controls. Major step backwards.

#10 ·
Not a rubbish idea at all IMO. It would be good if there were consistent drive characteristics when the battery is full or empty. It is only a case of blending the available regen and the mechanical brakes to give a consistent braking effect. Should be difficult given the tech on board nowadays. Unfortunately, as it isn't a problem for most people though so I suspect it won't get done... like a lot of things that us owners suggest to make the EV experience better... :rolleyes:

#12 ·
The sd card playing music is completely random in its numbering scheme. Really the whole stereo is pretty crap. We do like having digital radio. Ideally I just wish it could control and mirror the iphone. End of problem. We could use tomtom and google music. Or perhaps waves

#13 ·
Sounds like you still need to have your phone sat in a dash holder so you can see incoming calls, etc. If anyone has any good recommendations on a good holder, that would be great.

For music I'm just planning to use Spotify via my phone, and saw someone else said this works well.

#15 ·
Picked up my Outlander today, yay!

Quick question re Bluetooth streaming. I'm playing Spotify from my iPhone via Bluetooth. Audio plays fine and the controls stop / start / pause from the MMCS screen, albeit after a slight delay.

The only issue is displaying track information. It doesn't seen to keep up to date with what's playing. I've not tested a whole lot as I've only been in the car for about an hour today. Is this what others have experienced?

#16 ·
Hi James….

Are you the same James I met and talked to about my Volt and you going EV at my open gardens back in June, if not you have a doppleganger who likes gardening.

Also MK car owners are meeting at the Knife and Cleaver in Houghton Conquest at 2 on Sat if you are about:)

#17 ·
The MMCS is really poor, especially when interfacing with phones, not good at all...... going back to having a phone holder as you cannot control your phone by the MMCS.
I stream from the phone memory rather than an app, and even that has issues with track information! :(

#20 ·
Been playing with the USB connector between the seats under the front arm rest. I plugged my iPhone into it (iPhone 6) and it charges, but the device is not recognised by the MMCS as being an "iPod" on the USB music source. Has anyone else played with this, and what results have you got? I don't own a stand alone iPod anymore so can't test that. I kind of assumed it would treat iPhones like an iPod.

#24 ·
Unfortunately IOS8 has caused a few problems with Apps, so much so on Apps I use that I haven't upgraded to 8 yet as their functionality would be impaired. (The App for the Outlander being one!)

Therefore it could be that issue that means you have your problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.