·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proposal to double the penalty points to 6 if caught:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28324408

Can't argue with that, to be honest.

But this really caught my eye:
"...research by the motoring group the RAC suggested that a fifth of motorists did not know it was illegal to check social media websites on a phone while driving"

Really? Then those people need to have their licences permanently revoked, because clearly they are not of sufficiently sound mind to be in control of a car.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Yes...it's perfectly acceptable to remove themselves from the gene pool...but unfortunately they take others with them.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
They could make the fine £1,000,000 but as there's never any actual police around to enforce such things (and if they are, they tend to be rather busy) it wont really make any difference I suspect.

In theory a car and phone could be made to pair so that when in the car the phone will ONLY operate as a phone and ONLY via hands free. Folk would love that I'm sure. ;) :D

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
367 Posts
I see people talking on the phone very often but I couldn't believe that people would even consider texting whilst moving ! Until I saw people doing it

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
It's shocking the number of drivers you see texting...especially if you are in a high riding vehicle.

Had a Severn Trent Water van driving behind me yesterday, quite close. He had a phone to his ear, was very animated and at times his other hand was banging on the ceiling; I'm not sure what he was steering with. :eek:

Had half a mind to get his reg and call STW.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Rather than give points on the license how about this

Confiscation of the phone, no excuses you surrender handset and sim to the police who destroy it and send it for recycling. You then have to get a new phone (a few hundred quid) and explain to your provider why you need a new SIM

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

Confiscation of the phone, no excuses you surrender handset and sim to the police who destroy it and send it for recycling. You then have to get a new phone (a few hundred quid) and explain to your provider why you need a new SIM
Dumb phone Shaming...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

I think it was a French "Prank" on youtube,they primed a bunch of teens that texting while driving was now a requirement to be able to pass their driving test..watching them try with an examiner in the passenger seat (on controlled road conditions!) was scary....
Edit-Belgian...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
They could make the fine £1,000,000 but as there's never any actual police around to enforce such things (and if they are, they tend to be rather busy) it wont really make any difference I suspect.

In theory a car and phone could be made to pair so that when in the car the phone will ONLY operate as a phone and ONLY via hands free. Folk would love that I'm sure. ;) :D
Zoe automatically bluetooths my phone when I get in,and I've yet to try out the linked email or twitter apps in R-Link -not that I'm planning on trying it,but i wonder would they work while on the move?! Scratch that..can't even get the blimmin' things to work when I'm parked up..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts