Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bearing in mind we are viewing a prototype...

I drove BMW Mini's for 10 years with the speedo on the middle and didn't have a problem with it. The original Mini had the speedo in the middle, look how simple that was. It was revolutionary design at the time and became a design classic. Even the way the Model 3 boot opening is smaller than everyone expects reminds me of the original of Sir Alex Issigonis. This video's first few seconds says it all and I do wonder if the Tesla team are doing their 'Mini'?

A new era of motoring calls for a new approach.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
The interior design is clearly driven by the principle that autopilot will be doing much of the driving. Not 100% sold on the display (corners seem to be in knee/leg zone) but otherwise it looks fine.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I do hope there will be a HUD option, but I suspect it will be more about augmented reality hazard identification than instrument cluster. It is the promise of autopilot capability that really appeals to me as I get older and suspect my reaction times will be affected as time goes on. Could be so liberating.

·
One Life - Leaf It
488 Posts
The interior design is clearly driven by the principle that autopilot will be doing much of the driving. Not 100% sold on the display (corners seem to be in knee/leg zone) but otherwise it looks fine.
Perhaps they are planning to implement an auto speed limiter linked to the satnav data.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I doubt the interior will look like that in the final production model. In fact, the cars shown are all pre production and Tesla themselves have said that the designs are not complete. We shouldn't really be making judgement on every microscopic detail we've seen. The grand reveal was more about broad strokes.

·
Banned
1,698 Posts
I doubt the interior will look like that in the final production model. In fact, the cars shown are all pre production and Tesla themselves have said that the designs are not complete. We shouldn't really be making judgement on every microscopic detail we've seen. The grand reveal was more about broad strokes.
I doubt it will change that much (unless legislation forces them to). The vast majority of the structure will be fixed by now, but graphics on the centre screen can (and will) change.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
The last prototype of the X had a very different dash to the final car, it all still feels in flux to me.

I really hope this doesn't reflect on deadlines.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the dash/HUD. Two years from now you'll probably be able to buy a production version of Microsoft Hololens and an OBD2 link which will beat anything a HUD could produce. In less than 5 years we will probably look back on the screen in the 3 as unnecessary.

Regulators are currently the rate limiting step.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
@Guesty while in principal I agree, the thing is after experimenting with various "carputers" over the years, they all suffer the same problem... consumer grade kit soon packs up in the much more hostile automotive environment. Even mobile phones get the hump if left on the dash in the baking sun for a day, yet you would demand an item bolted in the car to not bat an eyelid.

So yes regulatory stuff will slow things down, but warranty/reliability concerns (simple "idiot proof" conventional kit even your granny can use) is still a challenge.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
@Guesty hmmm... great look.

But on a serious note, who is going to supply them if you need them to work seamlessly with the the car? Tesla ? (who don't even offer iPod integration)

Maybe Microsoft? (who will run a million miles from the potential claims everytime someone blames any legal obligation on a system malfunction)

I suspect the whole AR thing has a big downside yet to overcome and that is fashion acceptance and why Google have all but dropped Glass.

The pragmatic solution if Tesla want to penny pinch the second display where the dashboard typically is, would be to make that area a docking station for a mobile phone, with a context sensitive auto function swap ;)

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
There's a fairly illuminating video of a test ride where the driver is Tesla's VP Engineering. He pretty much says the dash is final (though that the on screen UI is definitely not).

See

1 - 15 of 15 Posts