Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just collected my Model 3 today. Wondering whether to use a USB for the dashcam and sentry mode or an SSD?

What are you guys using? Any recommendations?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,237 Posts
Hi all,

Just collected my Model 3 today. Wondering whether to use a USB for the dashcam and sentry mode or an SSD?

What are you guys using? Any recommendations?
I went for the Samsung T5 500GB portable SSD hard drive, it was recommended on here. No errors so far and the few recording I have seem to play fine on the TeslaCam App. I've not tried viewing any since the rearview camera was added to the recordings yet, (to be honest, I forgot all about it.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
A USB stick won't last long especially if you do a lot of driving or get a lot of Sentry activity.

You could use an Endurance SD card with a USB adaptor or a quality SSD.

I am using the SanDisk Endurance in the Raspberry Pi Zero W - it copies clips to my server when car arrives home.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
I've had a Sandisk 64GB USB in for 4 months. No issues so far.
On average (from USA forum) they seem to fail after a year or so. I guess one approach is to just replace once a year. The warranty isn't usually valid for continuous recording.

I had a regular Sandisk SD card fail in my Zoe dashcam and have now replaced with Endurance.

·
Registered
556 Posts
On average (from USA forum) they seem to fail after a year or so. I guess one approach is to just replace once a year. The warranty isn't usually valid for continuous recording.

I had a regular Sandisk SD card fail in my Zoe dashcam and have now replaced with Endurance.
Doesn’t it only record the last mins when you press the dashcam button or there is a Sentry Mode event rather than continuously?

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,048 Posts

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,048 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I use a 250gb sandisk usb ultra which cost about £40 from amazon, its been fine so far ,no issues. 3 months of usage

·
Registered
609 Posts
I am using a PNY 1TB SSD with super fast read / write speeds :D
Need to find sometime to put some high quality music onto it too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've gone for the SanDisk Endurance SD Card with a USB adapter. Was around £20 altogether, so won't break the bank if it doesn't work. Should do though!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I do around 12k miles a year, and have had the car coming up for 4 months with a cheapo SanDisk memory stick which has worked fine. I figure I can replace it every 6 months for the next 5 years and it'll still be cheaper than a SSD.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Doesn’t it only record the last mins when you press the dashcam button or there is a Sentry Mode event rather than continuously?
No it records all the time in dashcam or sentry mode, if your pressing the dashcam button to save the last few mins then it has to be putting the last few mins somewhere before hand for you to save it :), sentry is the same, it constantly records to the drive when an event is triggered it will then keep about 9mins before the trigger and a minute after the trigger.

·
Registered
556 Posts
No it records all the time in dashcam or sentry mode, if your pressing the dashcam button to save the last few mins then it has to be putting the last few mins somewhere before hand for you to save it :), sentry is the same, it constantly records to the drive when an event is triggered it will then keep about 9mins before the trigger and a minute after the trigger.
Ah OK. I was wondering if the car had some buffer memory for 10 mins of video but it seems not. I'll see how long the USB stick lasts and then get a SSD. It was only a tenner for the USB in any case.

·
Registered
152 Posts
if it’s always recording , if you have a large enough drive forget to hit the save button, until you get home for example. Does that mean there is still a chance to get read data from it that was going to the buffer or is it in an unreadable format ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts