Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am about to get a Model 3 (SR+ probably) and have been getting some insurance quotations. I am genuinely shocked by the premiums! I am 34M, with 10 years NCB, doing 8k miles p.a. and then car will be parked on a driveway in North London (NW7).

The quotes I am getting are between £1.7k and over £3k. Is this normal? How do people afford to insure a Tesla?

I have tried all the comparison sites and they are just as expensive, with Direct Line coming in the cheapest so far.

Any tips/comps will be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It can be quite postcode dependent.

I’ve always got good quotes from LV.
Thanks, I’ll try LV. I have tried most of the major insurers so far.

I wouldn’t have thought my post code is too bad, as it’s pretty much in suburbia, but I guess it could be worse than I had realised.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just done a quote through Tesla themselves and it worked out £250 cheaper that Direct line.

Strange, as Tesla use Direct line as their insurance partner!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just done a quote through Tesla themselves and it worked out £250 cheaper that Direct line.

Strange, as Tesla use Direct line as their insurance partner!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That’s interesting, do you just call Tesla direct and ask for a quotation then?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
If your within the M25 it doesn't surprise me, most cars are not cheap to insure there and the model 3 is in the higher of the 50 insurance groups.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,887 Posts
Do you mind directing me how to find it? I have had a look on their website but am struggling to find an insurance quotation area.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,107 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
£1,250, so much better than elsewhere - thanks for the tip. Still multiples higher than my last car (S4 estate), but that seems to be the case with electric cars.

·
Registered
17,457 Posts
£1,250, so much better than elsewhere - thanks for the tip. Still multiples higher than my last car (S4 estate), but that seems to be the case with electric cars.
It shouldn't be. I've consistently got quite low quotes on my EVs.

Have you tried a quote on a different post code or changing the excess? Just to see the effect.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD 2020
25 Posts
Have you tried adding additional drivers (such as parents) to the quote? Usually brings the price down quite a bit providing they have good history.

When I insured my M3 the prices weren't too dissimilar from those you saw. After adding Mum, Dad and the girlfriend (who is terrified of breaking it and thus never wants to drive it :p) brought the price down to around £700-800.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you tried adding additional drivers (such as parents) to the quote? Usually brings the price down quite a bit providing they have good history.

When I insured my M3 the prices weren't too dissimilar from those you saw. After adding Mum, Dad and the girlfriend (who is terrified of breaking it and thus never wants to drive it :p) brought the price down to around £700-800.
Good suggestion, I’ll try that too! I won’t be able to add my wife because she’s American and has only had a UK license for 2 years, and of course the insurers ignore the fact she’s had a US one for 15 :(

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD 2020
25 Posts
Good suggestion, I’ll try that too! I won’t be able to add my wife because she’s American and has only had a UK license for 2 years, and of course the insurers ignore the fact she’s had a US one for 15 :(
It's worth having a play to see what results you get, sadly car insurance quotes don't typically make sense at first.

They may see your wife as lowering the risk of you taking the car out and driving into a tree, because men in their 30's are clearly still children (said a 33y man child :LOL:).

At least you have a driveway, apparently if you have a secured car park (thinking it'll stop theft) they're likely to charge more because they expect you to decorate the walls with the paint work :rolleyes:.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts