Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've tried looking whether a thread already existed for this, couldn't find one but apologies if duplicating!

Does anyone have any insight or logic on policy pricing will be in the UK? Assuming it'll be based on a similar luxury saloon in its class?

I am this close <-> to placing a reservation on a Model 3 and while it's a long way off me actually getting one, trying to get an understanding on general insurance costs to help me tot up the actual cost based on what we know currently.

Appreciate it is specific to no claims discounts etc, however, I don't know whether it'll be £150 a month or £450!

Cheers!
Paul

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hi,
I've tried looking whether a thread already existed for this, couldn't find one but apologies if duplicating!

Does anyone have any insight or logic on policy pricing will be in the UK? Assuming it'll be based on a similar luxury saloon in its class?

I am this close <-> to placing a reservation on a Model 3 and while it's a long way off me actually getting one, trying to get an understanding on general insurance costs to help me tot up the actual cost based on what we know currently.

Appreciate it is specific to no claims discounts etc, however, I don't know whether it'll be £150 a month or £450!

Cheers!
Paul
Well, all Tesla's (S and X) are in the highest insurance group (50). I would assume this is due to high cost, high performance and expensive repairs (aluminium construction).

I'd imagine the 3 to be the same, as it also has high cost, high performance and expensive repairs (mostly aluminium construction).

Having said that, insurance may not be horrendous, depending on your age, location and job. I had a quote for around £500 for a 2014 S85, which I thought was surprisingly low.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi,

Cheers!
Paul
There's a thread on the Model S forum which indicates that most drivers are getting sub £500 per annum quotes. So model 3 should be similar or lower. Direct Line and LV are among the preferred insurers.

Model S Insurance renewal

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
FWIW as another random data point, I had a quote for an i-pace and it was less than £100 more than my leaf at £550 ish. And I live in Greater Manchester which is not exactly known for being cheap.
Was half considering the cheap lease deal they had.
The model 3 should be broadly the same. It seems the price of a car doesn't have the level of impact on insurance that I was expecting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good info thanks everyone, what it appears so far is that insurance costs might not be as hideous as I first thought.

I'm hovering over that reserve button on the Tesla site as we speak, now where's my credit card

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
I honestly would save your money until the prices and specs have been released.

There’s nothing to gain by placing a M3 deposit at this point. Unless you fancy lending Tesla money. ;)

Tesla have already announced another variant of the car and it isn’t even out in Europe yet.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Presumably the thing to gain is to be nearer the front of the ordering queue? I wonder how many UK orders there are?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Presumably the thing to gain is to be nearer the front of the ordering queue? I wonder how many UK orders there are?
Just wait until you can place an order, then order the most expensive one. That will put you at the top of the queue;)

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Existing owners, doesn’t matter if you bought it direct from Tesla or second hand, it the presence of a car in your My Tesla account. I get the same offers of skipping the queue and I bought mine from a dealer in Grimsby.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts