Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am interested in a model 3, I will buy on my company account, but i want to ask a few questions after i get to the Tesla HQs - London :p

1. can we order LHDs in UK ? (i will do most on my travels across the pond in france/spain) - we also buy on contract on the co. account.
2. interested in a model 3 long range, (max specs) how is the insurance cost? This is important.

Thanks,
Anne.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
I have asked this and Tesla don’t like to do it - which means no.

Just get used to driving on the wrong side of the road. It’s not that difficult.

Or buy a Tesla on the continent if you really spend most of your time there. :)

·
Premium Member
10,455 Posts
Tesla Leeds had a showroom LHD in July still there beginning of October .
I suspect it has gone back to LHD land.

·
Registered
505 Posts
EU law (for now) means Tesla UK MUST supply you with a left hand drive car if you want to order one.

Any LHD car will hold its value better than a RHD, even in the UK, due to there being larger demand in the whole of the EU for LHD cars than RHD and the ease at which cars can be re registered in different member states.

In fact 2nd hand left hand drive cars are more expensive in the UK and EU mainland than RHD cars are here.

There are of course some advantages to running LHD here - Getting out on the pavement, easier to keep left on narrow roads for e.g. And if you’re spending a lot of time in Spain/France etc and use a card at tolls/use car parks with barriers etc driving a RHD can get nauseating very quickly.

If Tesla UK are resistant to your request rather than fight, it’d be far easier to buy from Tesla in NL, Belgium or Germany. Most new car dealers in these countries speak some English and are used to selling cars for export to other EU member states.

All cars built for the EU are built to the same standard and come with an EU Certificate of Conformity making it really simple to re register the car in the UK.

You can buy the car VAT free in the EU mainland and pay the VAT here to HMRC easily too.

if you need assistance let me know and I’ll put you in touch with a firm that does it all for you.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
If Tesla UK are resistant to your request rather than fight, it’d be far easier to buy from Tesla in NL, Belgium or Germany. Most new car dealers in these countries speak some English and are used to selling cars for export to other EU member states.
But then you still have the hassle and cost of importing and registering the car in the UK. You’d also need an address on the continent or somewhere you can register it too.

I’m not sure why people make such a fuss about driving a RHD car abroad. It really isn’t a problem.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
EU law (for now) means Tesla UK MUST supply you with a left hand drive car if you want to order one.

Any LHD car will hold its value better than a RHD, even in the UK, due to there being larger demand in the whole of the EU for LHD cars than RHD and the ease at which cars can be re registered in different member states.

In fact 2nd hand left hand drive cars are more expensive in the UK and EU mainland than RHD cars are here.

There are of course some advantages to running LHD here - Getting out on the pavement, easier to keep left on narrow roads for e.g. And if you’re spending a lot of time in Spain/France etc and use a card at tolls/use car parks with barriers etc driving a RHD can get nauseating very quickly.

All cars built for the EU are built to the same standard and come with an EU Certificate of Conformity making it really simple to re register the car in the UK.

You can buy the car VAT free in the EU mainland and pay the VAT here to HMRC easily too.

if you need assistance let me know and I’ll put you in touch with a firm that does it all for you.
Just to add, if this is such a good idea then why don’t we buy our cars in Norway where they have large subsidies? :)

·
Premium Member
10,455 Posts
Norway isn't in the EU. Also any Norway "incentives" probably wouldn't be available to a foreign buyer. You also won't get the PICG when you personal import a car.

·
Premium Member
10,455 Posts
It’s in the EFTA, more to the point.
That doesn't help when privately importing though, nor do block exemption rules apply AFAIK.

Edit - Checked on HMRC site and importing from EEA might be same as EU from what I can see, so above might be wrong.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
That doesn't help when privately importing though, nor do block exemption rules apply AFAIK.

Edit - Checked on HMRC site and importing from EEA might be same as EU from what I can see, so above might be wrong.
The odd thing is, even if it is on the free trade area there are other taxes and of course VAT to pay. As you say you probably won’t get any of the grants either.

I was looking into this for another reason earlier this year. Although apparently there is a healthy trade in second hand cars from Germany to the rest of Europe - it appears to be worthwhile even with the additional costs of re-registration.

·
Premium Member
10,455 Posts
Buying a used LHD from Europe isn't a bad idea as no VAT to pay if over 6 months old and done 6000 km. I think the mileage was introduced as some cars were being just kept in compounds for 6 months and sold as "like new".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've started to look for companies in DE/NL that work well with UK companies.
Hopefully, I can find an ex-demo in the UK, although I don't think I can find one that's maxed out (white dual mot performance - black trim interior)

Thanks for the feedback, will def. visit Leeds's Tesla offices.

·
Registered
321 Posts
But then you still have the hassle and cost of importing and registering the car in the UK. You’d also need an address on the continent or somewhere you can register it too.

I’m not sure why people make such a fuss about driving a RHD car abroad. It really isn’t a problem.
You don't need an address abroad to import a car into the UK.

There are some associated costs regarding registration, and some regulations regarding the speedo having to show both mph and kph, we had a professional overlay fitted.
Also if only one fog light is fitted it has to be on the offside and the headlights have to conform to UK mot standard regarding beam direction.

You then need a specifically worded letter from the mot station stating that all work has been completed to UK spec. for registration.

Having said all that we easily imported an almost new motorhome from Germany in November 2015.

The regulations regarding vat mentioned by @proddick earlier are correct, if over 6 months old and over 6000kms than no vat payable.

If brand new or almost new generally you pay the vat in the country of purchase at the local rate and pay again on import at UK rate, then claim back the foreign vat.

Some dealers, i can only claim motorhome experience in Germany here, will waive the foreign vat, and trust you to supply proof of UK vat paid later.

It's not as complicated as it sounds, and we achieved it ourselves, with a bit of help from the German dealer who took us to the tax office to get our plates and 5 day insurance.

Cost depends on exchange rates, we saved a lot of money by buying from Germany, we were also lucky that we managed to turn a £7k profit when we sold it 18 months later.

Hope that all helps! 😎

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Some dealers, i can only claim motorhome experience in Germany here, will waive the foreign vat, and trust you to supply proof of UK vat paid later.
I think that's what a friend of mine did, but the other way around.

He bought a LHD Ford (!) in the UK and then imported it to Germany.

I can't remember exactly why this was better, but I imagine it was to do with money.

·
Registered
505 Posts

??? You don’t need an address outside the UK as one does not register the car where it’s bought. In fact the process is very simple.

Most dealers will arrange export short time registration plates and insurance for their customers, or it can be done very easily oneself. Dealers are used to selling cars to “foreign” customers who buy, say in Germany to take back to a Belgium etc. It’s the norm. The UK is just another EU member state and the process is the same.

Cost for German 2 week plates including insurance for example is around €200 Euros. The only extra is the cost to collect the car and drive back to UK. It’s a day trip for most.

As I said previously, LHD cars depreciate slower than RHD. There is a very tangible cost advantage

Clearly the original poster has a specific requirement for their own reasons that you might not fully understand.

Just as in example, If you use a card to pay for tolls and travel alone frequently, or park in car parks with barriers, using a RHD car on the “mainland” quickly becomes a pain.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts