Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been struggling to decide between a Model 3 and a VW ID.3. They have a similar range and the VW has lane assist & adaptive cruise control as standard, similar to the Model 3. The ID.3 comes in at 30k for the base model, 35k for the 1st edition with all the bells & whistles and the Model 3 is around 40k. From what I've read, the one big difference between these cars is Autopilot. Is this worth an extra 5k and are there any other reasons to nudge me towards a Model 3? Tesla also had an iffy reputation for build quality, is this still an issue?
Thanks!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,732 Posts
The M3 has basic AP as standard, which provides lane keeping and active cruise control.

The only thing that the FSD option gives you is Navigate on Autopilot and summon. There's also the promise of more functionality in due course.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,732 Posts
Does basic Autopilot offer anything in addition?
No, I think it's similar to the VW's capability. Does the ID.3 come with autopark as standard?

Sorry to be a bit vague, but my car has grandfathered capability, so I'm not exactly sure what the Basic AP functions are these days.

Here's what the website says:
Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 08.56.40.png

·
Registered
90 Posts
I’m in the same boat.
The big plus Tesla have is the charging network. Is that worth 10k more than base model ID.3 though? The one thing I do prefer is the clear pricing structure at Tesla over traditional brands.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I would test drive both. There have been negative comments on build quality of both as well - test drive would also give you the opportunity to look over both to compare build quality.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,732 Posts
Yep, go and see them for yourself.

I'd be careful comparing base ID.3 with M3 SR+ without seeing them firsthand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Likewise, went to see the id3 yesterday, sunday, yes its a definite contender, although it does have some bugs in its system which vw admit need working through! But nice car. Not sure the Ist is still available but I am sure there is the odd one around. The fullish range will be around in the spring then lots of choice maybe tooooo much choice! Oh one last point the franchises all are pretty much independent, they all have to train there staff sales and workshop and some will be more keen to spend on the new ev varient than others , at first anyway. So at least we have a quality competitor to tesla and thats got to be good., but tesla have the supercharger and for me that trumps all!

·
Registered
941 Posts
I think that both are very good cars. Both are very efficient according to Bjorn (will be interesting to see how the heat pump in new model 3s improves matters).

ID3 Pros:
Panel Gaps
Quieter cabin on the move
Softer suspension setup on the move
Hatchback versatility
Smaller footprint (400mm shorter, 40mm narrower)
Tighter turning circle

3SR+ Pros:
Better handling, more "agile" on the move (tighter steering, more responsive)
Faster performance
Software maturity and updates
All around cameras - Sentry and Dashcam, forthcoming 3d vector space view
Longer - can load 3.1m 2x4s in it (front footwell to corner of boot)
Generous base spec (3SR+ includes power+heat front seats with driver memory, power steering column, autodimming exterior mirrors (was originally in spec, went away for a few months, now back), power tailgate (from nov deliveries onwards), Panoramic Roof, etc
Faster charging - 170kW peak, maintains over 100kW to 50% charge
Charging availability - 3SR+ can use any CCS charger that ID3 can, in addition to the more reliable and widespread Supercharger network

Overall I think they are two very fine cars, but they are a bit different - the ID3 is a C-Seg hatchback, the model 3 is a D-Seg Saloon. In the same way that both the VW Golf and the BMW 3 series can both be good cars, that is the case here. Is a 3 series worth £5k more than a golf - depends on what you're looking for from a car.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,732 Posts
Of course it depends on your requirements.

Right now I find the Zoe all I need (and preferable) as we're not really going very far, and it's easy to park.

However it we were taking long road trips I'd have to have a Model 3 or similar.

I don't think a direct ID.3 vs M3 is really a sensible comparison. They are different classes of vehicle.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,396 Posts
I’m in the same boat.
The big plus Tesla have is the charging network. Is that worth 10k more than base model ID.3 though? The one thing I do prefer is the clear pricing structure at Tesla over traditional brands.
This. Charging network is single biggest reason why I'd go with a Tesla.
Clear pricing and less trim levels make things very straight forward. I hugely loath the way traditional dealers try to get every penny off you.

Another thing I really like with Tesla is possibility of buying software upgrades later, the fact I can buy FSD even if first owner didn't spec it is huge for those who prefer second hand cars like myself. Not sure if VW ID line allow you to do the same?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,732 Posts
This. Charging network is single biggest reason why I'd go with a Tesla.
This of course assumes we know how the OP is going to use the car. :)

Even if the Zoe could Supercharge, it would be as useful as a chocolate fireguard for me right now.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Tesla also had an iffy reputation for build quality, is this still an issue?
The problem with Tesla is variability.

There are absolutely some shoddy cars that they've put out. Denying that or pretending that it isn't the case isn't helpful. James and Kate (youtubers) seem to have suffered from this, and then had bad service in trying to fix it.

Then again, there are plenty of Model 3 out there that are fine - Bobby Llew, EV Man, Bjorn, @stageshoot - none of them have reported any issues with their cars. We have had ours for more than a year (14 months in a couple of days time) and other than a couple of minor things that Tesla fixed we have had no issues - panel gaps and paint on ours aren't bad either. Our experience detailed here: Model 3 SR+ - Thoughts after one year of ownership

This is the sad thing that Tesla need to improve upon - it should not be a lottery of "if I get a good one", and nor should it be a lottery of customer service (some have had good experiences at service centres, as I did. Others have had nightmares). Gigafactory Austin and Berlin should improve the former, the UK service organisation needs to improve the latter.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I don't think a direct ID.3 vs M3 is really a sensible comparison. They are different classes of vehicle
One car magazine compared with Leaf which is more appropriate, but comparing against an old design was clearly so the VW could win ;)

There are other electric hatchbacks that are worthy of consideration. The Kona has a similar size boot to ID3 (58kWh) but significantly longer range. On PCP or lease I believe the Kona is also cheaper. The e-2008 is also worth looking at (assuming slightly lower range works) and good lease deals. The MG is another choice and great value, also if range is sufficient.

The main element in choosing an electric car is use profile. I don't even have CCS on my Zoe. Over 2 year lease I might use it a handful of times. Best case, it might save me 10 hours so would be a huge cost per hour! For my use case the new Mazda would probably work OK.

Also, I am not sure cash is best way to get an EVs right now - I don't have confidence in residuals staying strong as newer, cheaper models arrive.

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,732 Posts
There could always be issues with every brand of new car. To pretend that this wouldn't happen with an ID.3 would be delusional.

It comes down to how the local service centre deals with it and how easy it is to get to them or have a ranger visit.

·
Registered
589 Posts
One company lied about their emissions, got caught and continued to lie.

The other is responsible for accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy.

Of course that may or may not matter to you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers, I had a look at the Kona but couldn't live with its funky rear end! The e-Niro was nice to sit in but long delivery times and an older design. Most of my journeys are <30 miles but I do need to make the occasional 250-mile round trip. Rapid charging and a reliable network of chargers would maybe help placate a family dubious about the practicalities of a full EV! Leasing sounds like a sensible option to consider, I hadn't thought about it.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
One company lied about their emissions, got caught and continued to lie.

The other is responsible for accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy.

Of course that may or may not matter to you.
I share that sentiment and personally wouldn't buy a VW. But, if someone is going to buy a VW, I would prefer they buy an ID3 rather than a Golf, Tiguan, etc. It may seem odd to you and me, but there do seem to be people who really, really like VW - or Audi if they want a "posh" badge ;).

The bit I don't get is their constant harping about "quality". Personally I don't mind a less-than-perfect panel gap, provided a car is reliable. Yet all the field evidence shows VWs have (at best) average reliability. I know Renault aren't great either, but hopefully it won't break down over the 2 years I have it :LOL:

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
1 - 20 of 70 Posts