Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

How would you rate your model 3 experience?

• Good

Votes: 52 83.9%
  • Average

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 2 3.2%
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next week I have the choice to pickup either a brand new Model 3 LR, or a used German gas guzzler.

For me, other than me preferring the interiors of Merc/BMW/Audi luxury coupes/saloons, I am a bit weary about Tesla as a company.

To date my experience with their sales team was beyond woeful, you start thinking if they actually even care to sell you the car. What will it be like after sale?

There have been many comments about exterior quality issues so I won’t repeat them but generally are they better in 2020?

What about the tech, is it as convenient as Apple CarPlay/Android Auto? I also feel my expectations of Autopilot was too high, having looked at it in action I can see it is still quite buggy and can even lead to dangerous situations. More worryingly, I hear the high beam assist is poorly implemented compared to say BMW and that it isn’t uncommon for the reversing camera to just show a black screen from time to time. Of course there are probably other issues too.

However, no car is perfect of course. So I guess really I am looking for peoples overall opinion on the Model 3 offering as a whole in their own experience. Happy with it? What would you do different?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I went from a 3 Series BMW to a SR+ Model 3. I much prefer the Tesla to drive - it’s more fun to drive and use in my opinion. The instant torque response is addictive. My car is great, and all my dealings with Tesla after-sales has been exemplary (Brooklands Service Centre and Mobile Technician). Plus you’ll be saving the planet and reducing your running costs.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
191 Posts
Hey, good evening!

I picked up my M3 LR AWD on the 18th March, having ordered it online 4 weeks prior to that. I can’t speak for any sales staff, since I ordered online having been in my brothers previously.

The pickup was good - couple of quirks - but nothing car related.

I am a real Apple fan, and would never have considered getting a car without car play- except for the M3.

No, there’s no Apple Music like their is with car play, but I leave the phone charging, press the steering wheel button for Tesla voice commands and just say hey Siri, to which Tesla doesn’t know how to respond, and Siri takes over. Play xxx playlist or artist or whatever and it does it well.

Messages come in through the Tesla phone app, which reads them out if I want, and I can reply.

I find the navigation better than through car play, and haven’t had any issues with build quality either on collection or since, and no issues with reversing camera.

In fact, I’ve had no issues at all.

I don’t regret getting the car on the slightest, except for the poor timing, I’ve done only a thousand miles in the month and One day since collection - I’m a key worker so need to drive for work. I’d have done at least twice that if I could!

The only thing I was disappointed with was a slightly unfinished look in the frunk- visible bolts where I thought the shopping hooks would be, apparently they’re extra now and need ordering - so I printed them on my 3d printer.

Good luck, whatever you decide, but I know which dealership I’d be heading to.

Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Go with the Tesla - you will not regret it.

Reactions: Mash86

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you don't mind the sparse interior and the weird buying experience then the running costs for me were a great draw as otherwise I'd never even considered buying a new car before the Tesla Model 3.

I'm not particularly fussy about some slight panel misalignment but any obvious paint defects then I would have gone back to Tesla after purchase to correct. So I can't comment on the after sales support as so far 7 months on. I've had zero issues apart from 1 tyre had 2 nails in it when I turned around in a scaffolding yard! I won't do that again. I've had 1 screen lock up that required a 2 button reset and once the reverse camera was blank but a quick menu hop cured it. That was back in September 2019 and I believe the software is much more stable now as I've had zero issues since.

Autopilot works great on fast dual and motorways which I enable almost everyday on my commute. On well defined A/B roads it will work but as you have to constantly be aware of random road changes etc. it's seems pointless to bother but the object recognition is sort of fun to watch. On longer journeys it's just a great stress reliever and could be even better if they allowed auto lane changes in Europe on the non-FSD software option.

My overall experience is the car is charged to ~70% everyday which covers my commute and any unexpected journeys. I get in the car which is pre-conditioned for my departure time so I never have to worry about defrosting or warming the car up. Simply engage drive and go plus I'm only paying ~1.5p per mile electricity costs for the privilege due to being on the Octopus Go tariff.

Yeah the auto headlights weren't great when I tried them last so I haven't re-enabled them but that was the same with the wipers which work so much better now after the continuous software updates.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

Ugh you’ve just reminded me about the window wipers, I mean you do start to ask yourself how Elon is going to perfect auto pilot when he can’t even get a window wiper right, people have been complaining about that for years...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Pretty bad support, had a couple of issues already (<300 miles), would be nice to speak to someone rather than have to try and sort out everything over SMS. Booked in for a fix, but because of the virus it won't be until June.

App never connects to car, could be related to the above issue.

Have had to reset the car at least 5 times so far, latest was something as stupid as the indicator (blinker) not showing up on the screen when it's on.

Can't use cruise control with the wife in the car because the phantom braking scares the life out of her. Step back from my previous GTI.

Average build quality compared to my previous car.

That said, it's still early in the ownership lifecycle but I expect my next car will be a model 3 when my current lease expires in 2 years.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Ugh you’ve just reminded me about the window wipers, I mean you do start to ask yourself how Elon is going to perfect auto pilot when he can’t even get a window wiper right, people have been complaining about that for years...
My recommendation would be 100% to NOT buy any Tesla. Sounds like you would be very disappointed and therefore happier with a used / new ICE car, or any car that’s not a Tesla, plenty of them around too.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Early on the wipers were not great but are working brilliantly now since the software updates. Performance and range have always been good and have been made even better with software updates.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My recommendation would be 100% to NOT buy any Tesla. Sounds like you would be very disappointed and therefore happier with a used / new ICE car, or any car that’s not a Tesla, plenty of them around too.
I think I’d definitely be happy with the tried and trusted ICE cars but what is swaying me to Tesla is the fuel savings, 0% BiK, no tax. The Tesla, after all discounts ends up being cheaper than an used ICE car half the price. So it’s almost like even if I am disappointed, maybe getting a brand new car for less than a used car is a no brainer? Maybe...

How often does phantom braking occur for you guys? That is probably high on try list of issues for me.

·
Registered
17,463 Posts
I think I’d definitely be happy with the tried and trusted ICE cars but what is swaying me to Tesla is the fuel savings, 0% BiK, no tax.
The new Zoe 50 is cheaper, comes with the same savings and has a similar range to the SR+.

Just saying'. :)

·
Registered
17,463 Posts
How often does phantom braking occur for you guys? That is probably high on try list of issues for me.
Not too bad - it's more about using AP appropriately. If it's very dense traffic with people cutting in then best to stick to manual driving. There are some idiots who use it in town and then complain about 'phantom braking'.

Of course with a Tesla these things will gradually improve over time, whereas every other car will remain the same.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't think you'd be disappointing by a TM3 but a test drive would definitely help. The fundamentals of a car are there the rest is just additional toys to play with mostly. If the cost saving is significant then go for it or any EV to be honest but I'd definitely be looking at a Model Y with a family hopefully by the end of next year. Purchase price is creeping up though with the Model Y.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Lots of people will share their experience which is of course helpful, but as above post says - test drive it.

It won't answer every question, but if you buy it without a test drive then you'll be left wondering what if.

I really wanted a model 3 but the test drive cemented it for me. It's not perfect, but I'm willing to compromise on things like build quality/finish and aspects of the car being experimental because it's still a brilliant car and drive.

Equally you can return it after 7 days if you aren't happy.

If you need a family car and want an EV, you could look at the Kia e-Niro or similar?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Lots of people will share their experience which is of course helpful, but as above post says - test drive it.

It won't answer every question, but if you buy it without a test drive then you'll be left wondering what if.

I really wanted a model 3 but the test drive cemented it for me. It's not perfect, but I'm willing to compromise on things like build quality/finish and aspects of the car being experimental because it's still a brilliant car and drive.

Equally you can return it after 7 days if you aren't happy.

If you need a family car and want an EV, you could look at the Kia e-Niro or similar?
Other family EV’s have a huge lead time, looking at winter 2020 I think for these. Possibly could get the E-2008 by end of a May/June, but not too keen on its battery size.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Next week I have the choice to pickup either a brand new Model 3 LR, or a used German gas guzzler...
Stick with the gas guzzler. You clearly are not really an ev person, although I suspect you would be an ideal driver given your driving history, (From last week on another Forum when you considered a Peugeot E-2008 GT). It is odd you havn't test driven a car you might get next week.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stick with the gas guzzler. You clearly are not really an ev person, although I suspect you would be an ideal driver given your driving history, (From last week on another Forum when you considered a Peugeot E-2008 GT). It is odd you havn't test driven a car you might get next week.
I have never owned an EV no.

As mentioned on the other thread, due to coronavirus, test drives are pretty much impossible. I am also without a car thanks to the pricks who nicked my previous gas guzzler or I would just wait out corona virus before purchasing one.

I am very pro EV and my plan was to always buy one, just checking if it’s the right time/vehicle for me.

Another pro for the EV, the diesel gas guzzler I am considering buying is likely to risk heavy depreciation in the next 5 years...

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
288 Posts
If you are pro EV, I assume you care about the planet and people's health. How in the name of all that's holy can you then even consider going for a gas guzzler? Is any minor defect (and remember german cars hace their share of those too) you'd have to cope with more important than a clean conscience?

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
191 Posts
I came from a new Leaf - bought it last year - when I bought (new) it the maps were out of date (16/17 map data), software things needed fixing - but there wasn’t one software update for the car, also had to be taken in for software updates if ever there was one (there was a recall due to the auto emergency braking which was done).

The Tesla is so much better, I’ve had three software updates in the month - with useful additions added every time - the last one was the one with sentry viewer added - which is useful! And the car is fun!

I’m happy I went for it.

A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 75 Posts