Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Renault Zoe 50
Discussion Starter #1
So it's very annoying that the M3 Performance doesn't come with an option for a factory fit tow bar.

Looking into this a bit, it appears that there are some aftermarket options available that seem quite neat.

What's the collective view on this?

Is it a good idea (assuming my insurer has not issue with it) or would I incur the wrath of the flaming pitchforks?

Registered
So it's very annoying that the M3 Performance doesn't come with an option for a factory fit tow bar.

Looking into this a bit, it appears that there are some aftermarket options available that seem quite neat.

What's the collective view on this?

Is it a good idea (assuming my insurer has not issue with it) or would I incur the wrath of the flaming pitchforks?
Careful, Tesla might remove your ability to Supercharge 馃ぃ

Registered
I would not be happy with it for a caravan, but may be for a bike rack or small trailer for local use

Registered
Renault Zoe 50
Discussion Starter #4
I would not be happy with it for a caravan, but may be for a bike rack or small trailer for local use
Of course I was intending to use it for towing under 750 kg AUM.

By 鈥榣ocal use鈥 I assume you mean within the EU? :)

I would rather crawl over broken glass than be seen towing a caravan.

Registered
I'm fairly confident on this as I initially looked at options for my Leaf, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong .... but ...
You cannot fit a tow bar to any vehicle that is not type approved for towing ... to tow. It's that last bit that's the slight get out clause. So no towing, whatever connects to the bar must effectively be off the ground. I also read that you must not fit something that is capable of towing, in the same way you can't pull an empty 2 ton trailer because it has the capability to carry 2 ton even if it's empty. So the way round this I saw was a tow bar specifically for bike racks that had a spike on the top that prevented a normal towing hitch from connecting, but the bike rack had a corresponding hole.
You also have quite a light nose weight limit, so it's hard to find anything that could accommodate 4 bikes.

Registered
Renault Zoe 50
Discussion Starter #6
Is a tow bar not type approved for the Model 3?

Registered
Renault Zoe 50
Discussion Starter #9
You also have quite a light nose weight limit, so it's hard to find anything that could accommodate 4 bikes.
It says 55 kg nose weight limit in the manual.

A large bike rack might weigh 20 kg, leaving 35 kg for bike payload. Which seems fine.

Registered
What, like the ones I can buy with an LR?
Ah - I was looking at an post on another forum which must have quoted an older version of the manual. Perhaps Tesla thought that no-one would want to tow in a performance car - who knows?

Registered
It is specific versions of the vehicle which are type approved, mate had a golf Type R and it wasn't rated for towing, even though his S3 was.... often it appears to be with cooling system and risk of overheating under load as for the 5 series when you opted for factory fitted towing when I ordered mine if came with an amended fan set up.

Registered
Yep, some trims of a model can be type approved for towing while others might not be.

An example from a few years ago was the Skoda Fabia Mk1 - all trims were type approved for towing, apart from the vRS.

I guess that technically if you tow using a non type approved vehicle you could be in trouble with the police?

Registered
You might.. or your insurance could decide you weren't insured if you had an accident whilst towing, which would suck.

Registered
if you car is type approved for towing, then the weights will show on the vin sticker in the door. If not then you're not type approved for towing.
And 55kg isn't that much even for a bike carrier, most of the 3 bike towbar carriers are just shy of 15kg which would only leave 13.3kg per bike, so just about ok for 3 decent adult bikes, but pretty much a no go for four bikes unless you're carrying carbon road bikes.
Either way, it look like Tesla have only type approved specific cars rather than the model as a whole. Maybe just so they can charge 拢1000 for a tow bar.

Registered
And as LEAF Gen 1 & 2 owners know all too well, it isn't whether the car is capable of it that matters, it is whether it has type approval that does. No type approval means "potentially" no insurance and an assumption of guilt in the event of an accident.

Towing a trailer with a car or van: the basics
The chassis plate on the vehicle (see table in Section 7) states the maximum weights allowed - the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) and the Gross Combination Weight (GCW).

The vehicle handbook will either repeat what is on the chassis plate, or for convenience, might directly specify the maximum weight of trailer (eg 750kg) which is allowed to be towed. The V5C registration certificate often shows this too, under sections O1 and O2 (depending on whether trailer has brakes or not). Exceeding any of the above weights is likely to be construed as using a vehicle in a dangerous condition.
Type approval is mainly based on the ability of the car to restart the trailer mass on a certain gradient, and little to do with maneuverability or braking which is pants.

often it appears to be with cooling system and risk of overheating under load as for the 5 series when you opted for factory fitted towing when I ordered mine if came with an amended fan set up.
That makes sense from the manufacturers warranty and reputation perspective, but has nothing to do with whether it would pass type approval if the manufacturer submitted it.

I also read that you must not fit something that is capable of towing, in the same way you can't pull an empty 2 ton trailer because it has the capability to carry 2 ton even if it's empty.
That's an urban myth, it is the actual weight of the trailer and cargo that counts. Otherwise if the trailer were plated for a load within the plated limit of the car it would be legal regardless of reality.

Towing a trailer with a car or van: the basics
Where the sum of the maximum plated weights of the towing vehicle and of the trailer added together exceed the plated GCW of the towing vehicle, this is not a problem as long as the 鈥榓ctual鈥 weights of the vehicle and trailer (which may not be fully laden at the time) do not exceed the plated GCW.

Premium Member
VIN plate as already said is the ultimate statement on whether a particular car is type approved for towing.

When I contacted DfT for guidance on tow bar fitting for carrying a bike rack, the reply could be summarised as it was probably ok, but don鈥檛 blame us if it all goes wrong.

Registered
Renault Zoe 50
Discussion Starter #19
Type approval is mainly based on the ability of the car to restart the trailer mass on a certain gradient, and little to do with maneuverability or braking which is pants.
Which makes me think Tesla just forgot/couldn't be arsed to get the type approval for the Performance model.

Registered
Are all BMW M3s approved for towing given the 3 series in general is?

Also interesting to see that none of theTesla M3s have any tow options in the US but all MYs do (including the Performance version)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts