Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have recently had my front windscreen replacement, the fitters set the wipers home position higher than they were before but I am unable to confirm if this is the cause of the excessive wind noise coming from the passenger side front pillar / wing mirror location. Could it be a possibly incorrectly fitted windscreen, I am not so sure.
Can anybody check at 70mph if they are getting more wind noise on the passenger side vs drivers side?

Kind regards,

Riz :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had quite a lot of such noise since receiving the car, I think I've got used to it.
I can't say that I have noticed the wind noise to be as bad as it is following the windscreen replacement, especially only coming from the passenger side and not the drivers side.
I am hoping its the wipers but I can't push them down enough so they are tucked in behind the bonnet edge to prove it.
When you are out next on the motorways, if you could check to see if the passenger side is louder than the drivers, that would be great :)

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might be worth checking the gaps between the A Pillar and also the trim next to the mirror, I think I've finally solved mine after reading lots of posts and combining some fixes!

I've put a guide together here: How to reduce wind noise in your Tesla Model 3 - TeslaEV.co.uk

Seems much better to me now :)
Hi Dave,

useful information and thanks for sharing... I will see what Tesla say and then look to implementing more noise reduction like you :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Might be worth checking the gaps between the A Pillar and also the trim next to the mirror, I think I've finally solved mine after reading lots of posts and combining some fixes!

I've put a guide together here: How to reduce wind noise in your Tesla Model 3 - TeslaEV.co.uk

Seems much better to me now :)
Brings back memories as it is almost 50 years to the day that I purchased a new Morris 1100 and then spent next six weeks tracking down a whistling noise, eventually traced to the base of the A Pillar, on the nearside.

Remedied by filling the gap with dum dum sealant. Nearly drove me mad as it could only be heard from about 30 mph but it was constant. During the course of elimination even drove the car with the bonnet removed at one stage!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I am hoping its the wipers but I can't push them down enough so they are tucked in behind the bonnet edge to prove it.
Should be fairly trivial to remove the wipers and move them around the splines a bit. Probably just a small 8mm nut and a bit of prising straight upwards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Remedied by filling the gap with dum dum sealant. Nearly drove me mad as it could only be heard from about 30 mph but it was constant. During the course of elimination even drove the car with the bonnet removed at one stage!
Can you tell me what dumdum sealant is, and where you got it? Thanks!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Can you tell me what dumdum sealant is, and where you got it? Thanks!
It was many years ago but probably got it from Halfords or a small motor factor In the UK.

Can still find photos online of the yellow and black tin my dum dum sealant came in but the product seems to have been discontinued some years ago due to lack of demand or better products being produced.

It was a black putty like substance which formed a seal on top when dry.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It was many years ago but probably got it from Halfords or a small motor factor In the UK.

Can still find photos online of the yellow and black tin my dum dum sealant came in but the product seems to have been discontinued some years ago due to lack of demand or better products being produced.

It was a black putty like substance which formed a seal on top when dry.
Roofing sealant or silicone would work just fine.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Our model 3 started getting very noisy at around 50 and increased dramatically as speed increased after that. Almost a loud as the road/tyre noise! The same journey in our Ampera proved much quieter! But, I admit, i'm biased.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have more wind noise on the drivers side. Booked in to Bristol in June for that, and a rattle from the rear that i'm fairly certain is caused by the top and bottom half of the parcel shelf slapping together when driving over rough surfaces.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A quick update folks, dropped my Model 3 off at Tesla this morning and got a SR+ loaner..... definitely something not right with my windscreen replacement as the SR+ is quiet at 70 mph. I am hoping its because my wipers were incorrectly refitted.
They are going to investigate.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Curious I looked at mine and the gaps mentioned in the link are small except the drivers side chrome trim which does have a larger gap and the trim is cut with a sharp edge so that won't help. I may try some edge trim on both sides there so they match.

No excessive wind noise on mine but the front drivers A pillar/door card does squeak a bit in the cold. I may try some ptfe spray otherwise it would probably need re-fitting.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tesla re-adjusted the wipers and the wind noise is still present.
Logged a warranty job with AutoGlass, in the meantime I will start the process of elimination using tape on the gaps. :(

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I have all number of noises on my M3, and they vary depending on the external temperature :(

The way the roof glass has been bonded onto the frame means that the front LH and RH corners are sticking up slightly, causing a bit of wind noise.

I used to get a lot of wind noise from the driver's side window, particularly the upper rear corner. After 3 attempts to resolve this by adjusting the window, Tesla have replaced the door seal with the revised "2020" version, which has worked so well that I can now hear the wind noise coming from the "2019" passenger door seal more clearly. Added bonus: the driver's door now makes the odd "clunk" noise now, too. It randomly sounded like it has a crisp packet stuck in it last time we had freezing temps.

After they replaced the driver's side A-pillar camera, I now have a rattle behind the trim just above my right ear, where the airbag lives.

There is a dull "clunk" when going over road-humps and a rumble from the road above the tire noise which sounds very much like a badly-fitted suspension bush, but Tesla have "checked" and found everything is OK and despite taking a Tech out (who identified the sound immediately), they have told me it's "just road noise".

There is something metallic buzzing in the rear seat headrest. It's a known problem, and Tesla have "applied the fix", but it still buzzes on certain road surfaces. There are no words to express how much this sound annoys me.

Moral of the story: Tesla will happily look at these things under warranty, but keep your expectations at rock bottom if you want a happy life.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update folks....
put on some black electrical tape around the side of the windscreen and the top end from where I think the sound is coming from, including taping off the gap around the mirror housing and chrome window frame.
I have managed to get rid of the wind noise, going to start the process of elimination now by remove small sections to see what the cause it. :D

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I might try that.. the road noise is one thing I really dislike about the model 3.. having to have the stereo on practically full to hear it at 70. I could spend a fortune on amazon with the number of things you can buy to cure the noise, but electrical tape is a good start. I'm not sure it's wind in my case, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I might try that.. the road noise is one thing I really dislike about the model 3.. having to have the stereo on practically full to hear it at 70. I could spend a fortune on amazon with the number of things you can buy to cure the noise, but electrical tape is a good start. I'm not sure it's wind in my case, but I could be wrong.
The road/tyre noise at motorway speeds can make it very tough for podcasts at times, depending on the production values

1 - 20 of 29 Posts