Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The road/tyre noise at motorway speeds can make it very tough for podcasts at times, depending on the production values
The road / tyre noise I can live with.... this wind noise is really loud..... :D
I am almost at the point where I can pin point it... my drive home shortly will either prove its the windscreen or not.
If not, then it could well be the chrome window trim, however the SR+ I borrowed was fine and prior to the windscreen replacement, mine was fine too.
I am really dreading it, but I think it must be the windscreen....... :(

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Our M3 was whistling and had increasing wind noise with speed from day 1. On the way to MK for a load of faults the screen cracked from one side to the other very low down. The screen was replaced by Tesla, which cured the whistle. The wind noise was no different, sadly.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Our M3 was whistling and had increasing wind noise with speed from day 1. On the way to MK for a load of faults the screen cracked from one side to the other very low down. The screen was replaced by Tesla, which cured the whistle. The wind noise was no different, sadly.
Update folks.... I have finally figured out why my Tesla Model 3 is whistling like crazy over 60-70mph speeds, this might be an issue for others too IF the screen has been incorrectly fitted at manufacturing or following a replacement.

The best way to confirm this is to get some back electrical tape and put in on the upper join where the front windscreen meets he top roof glass.
On the drivers side of the windscreen it is mounted very lightly higher than the front edge of the roof glass, but on the passenger screen it is about 1-2mm lower :eek: This means the wind is not deflected by the front windscreen and is hitting the top roof glass on its edge and causing wind turbalance.

It will all come down to how much bonding adhesive has bee put underneath, in my case it was too little on the passenger side. :(

AutoGlass warranty case raised which will post likely need a replacement if they are unable to remove and remount :(

·
Registered
238 Posts
Update folks.... I have finally figured out why my Tesla Model 3 is whistling like crazy over 60-70mph speeds, this might be an issue for others too IF the screen has been incorrectly fitted at manufacturing or following a replacement.

The best way to confirm this is to get some back electrical tape and put in on the upper join where the front windscreen meets he top roof glass.
On the drivers side of the windscreen it is mounted very lightly higher than the front edge of the roof glass, but on the passenger screen it is about 1-2mm lower :eek: This means the wind is not deflected by the front windscreen and is hitting the top roof glass on its edge and causing wind turbalance.

It will all come down to how much bonding adhesive has bee put underneath, in my case it was too little on the passenger side. :(

AutoGlass warranty case raised which will post likely need a replacement if they are unable to remove and remount :(
Good bit of detective work there!

Glad you’ve got an answer, let’s hope they can sort it fairly quickly :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Although I am a key worker, I am not front line like the emergency services / NHS etc.
So I have asked AutoGlass to put them first, I can wait until the lock down is relaxed tbh, just glad that I got to the bottom of it as many others could have this same issue thinking that its a normal attribute of the car.
Having a closer look at it, its a question of millimetres ..... a slight error with the machines are Fremont could easily have cause this too.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
New windscreen replacement booked in now as AutoGlass are starting to open back up to the wider public.
I guess I will have to travel to Leeds again to have the camera's re-calibrated again, grrr.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi folks,

I have recently had my front windscreen replacement, the fitters set the wipers home position higher than they were before but I am unable to confirm if this is the cause of the excessive wind noise coming from the passenger side front pillar / wing mirror location. Could it be a possibly incorrectly fitted windscreen, I am not so sure.
Can anybody check at 70mph if they are getting more wind noise on the passenger side vs drivers side?

Kind regards,

Riz :)
Check that your door in question is aligned properly as this can cause wind issues too

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Check that your door in question is aligned properly as this can cause wind issues too
I did some investigative work and its definitely the windscreen, the passenger side has been mounted with less bonding sealant compared to the drives side. This means that the wind is hitting the edge of the roof glass, causing turbulence + wind noise.
All my doors seem aligned etc :) phew.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts