Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps

I have a SR+ Model 3 and am really happy with it. The past few days the car has lost 5% battery overnight, and I’m confused why. I’ve searched through similar posts from other people with the same problems, but I can’t fathom why this is happening.

Things I’ve tried:

1. Disconnecting WiFi from the car
2. Making sure sentry mode is off
3. Not opening the app at all

Does anybody else have any further suggestions for what might be causing this?

Thank

·
Registered
94 Posts
It sounds like its may be staying awake for some reason. Once I entered the car without my phone. Which is unusual as i've set phone to be an unlock device. It wouod not start but I could get in. It also lost 5% that time

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Also it may show a lower % amount when the night is cold and then goes back up as the battery warms up during the day. So probably not actual phantom drain.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
It also heats its battery in cold weather, which uses energy.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I don't think that is an option on the M3. There is timed cabin heating or cooling though which can be turned off. Also Surrey disconnecting the USB device if not using sentry cam.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I don’t think it’s an option, unless I have missed it somewhere. I’ll have a look at the timed heating and cooling; that could be it. And I’ve also disconnected the USB stick for sentry, so hopefully one of these will work.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Pretty sure I read that the 3 runs the motor to generate heat (not sure what for) when parked in cold weather?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yeah I don’t think it’s an option, unless I have missed it somewhere. I’ll have a look at the timed heating and cooling; that could be it. And I’ve also disconnected the USB stick for sentry, so hopefully one of these will work.
This is something you have to put up with this car. I went through the same issues when I first got mine. Still not found the reason why, the car decides itself. Also told ' you get the miles back when you start driving' You don't!! If you get in the car and you have lost % or miles, you don't gain them back. Only time you get some back is when you have a blue snowflake. Only thing I've noticed is you get different range losses with each update. One update will make you lose range, next update and it settles again.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Reduced my losses to near zero by turning off the fans on the a/c part of the screen manually when I get out. (so that the fan symbol turns grey). That has worked for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I’ll try that too. It’s a bit annoying this doesn’t automatically happen. Maybe something that can happen in a future update.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The car tends to lose several % when the battery cools after charging/usage. I tend to charge (11kW) at work after I get there in the morning, then in winter can see 2-3% drop as the battery cools over the next few hours, but then the loss stops. During lockdown and working from home this year, I've certainly found that after the initial drop the car loses less than 1% per day, maybe 2% per week at the most once it's deep sleeping.

Reduced my losses to near zero by turning off the fans on the a/c part of the screen manually when I get out. (so that the fan symbol turns grey). That has worked for me.
Be aware of unintended consequences.

The reason that the AC system/fans etc "run on" in the model 3 is to dry out the system before switching it off, in order to prevent bacteria/mould/etc from causing the AC system to begin to smell (as I've had happen in many previous cars, and there were reports of with model 3 in the USA before they implemented this "drying cycle").

Personally I'm happy to let a few pence worth of electricity go to the cause of keeping the AC system healthy and free from smells.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts