Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Maybe something Tesla would be thinking in other region's to get around the £35000+ grant limit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Maybe something Tesla would be thinking in other region's to get around the £35000+ grant limit.
I can’t see what Tesla are gaining, they are still installing the same battery at the same cost but software locking the capacity. Just make the standard range that price.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can’t see what Tesla are gaining, they are still installing the same battery at the same cost but software locking the capacity. Just make the standard range that price.
They don't want to sell it. They have to have it available to access Canada's £$ incentives.

·
Registered
690 Posts
One option available to Tesla is to sell a software locked version (say limit of 100 mile range) of the SR+ for £34,999. And then allow buyers to unlock the range for £5,000.

Tesla get the same profit margin and the consumer gets a Model 3 for £35k - £2.5k grant = £32.5k + £5k unlock = £37.5k.

The government policy is useless in that it doesn’t specify range etc.

This could give Tesla an advantage as they have all the infrastructure / software to roll this out already.

·
Registered
454 Posts
One option available to Tesla is to sell a software locked version (say limit of 100 mile range) of the SR+ for £34,999. And then allow buyers to unlock the range for £5,000.

Tesla get the same profit margin and the consumer gets a Model 3 for £35k - £2.5k grant = £32.5k + £5k unlock = £37.5k.

This could give Tesla an advantage as they have all the infrastructure / software to roll this out already.
Don’t think it fits in the rules. Grant is before options (so you can have a low spec like the new e-niro 64kwh ‘2’ spec) and sell options on top, but you can’t increase engine or range I think.

edit: https://assets.publishing.service.g...vehicle-grant-portal-user-guidance-manual.pdf

although that does‘t mention battery etc so maybe it would be doable but presumably a loophole that would be quickly closed.

Reactions: reserves

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
It wouldn’t be an option. It’d be an aftermarket software update, like the acceleration boost and heated seats etc. The government wouldn’t know about it.

Reactions: reserves

·
Premium Member
11,644 Posts
It wouldn’t be an option. It’d be an aftermarket software update, like the acceleration boost and heated seats etc. The government wouldn’t know about it.
I agree it would be technically legal for Tesla to sell a Model 3 TR (Tiny Range) and offer unlocking, but it would get them dreadfull PR - you can imagine the tabloid headlines "Billionaire Musk fleeces UK tax payers" etc. Also, it would encourage more people to the lower cost and less profitable Model 3 variants, which isn't good business sense.

Reactions: TJEV

·
Premium Member
11,644 Posts
Didn't they do something similar for the model S 60 kW software locked 75kw pack. I'd take a software locked model 3 for now.
Yes, we bought one in USA and unlocked when they did a deal! But that was just to offer a lower entry price, not to scam a grant or similar.

·
Registered
762 Posts

Someone suggest this to Tesla/Elon Musk

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I agree it would be technically legal for Tesla to sell a Model 3 TR (Tiny Range) and offer unlocking, but it would get them dreadfull PR - you can imagine the tabloid headlines "Billionaire Musk fleeces UK tax payers" etc. Also, it would encourage more people to the lower cost and less profitable Model 3 variants, which isn't good business sense.
I don’t think there’s much overlap between “righteous folk who get offended by business savvy” and “Tesla buyers” - they’d be fine. It might offend a bunch of folk who aren’t in the market for a £40k car 😂

·
Premium Member
11,644 Posts
I don’t think there’s much overlap between “righteous folk who get offended by business savvy” and “Tesla buyers” - they’d be fine. It might offend a bunch of folk who aren’t in the market for a £40k car 😂
Except it isn't "business savy" to encourage your customers to buy a lower profit car. I can't see it happening and comparisons with Canada are not relevant. There nobody actually bought the tiny range Tesla, it just legally had to be on sale so ALL Model 3 could get the grant.

Reactions: TJEV and phproxy

·
Registered
2,849 Posts

It wouldn't work.

The government has provided a list of cars included in the grant. If Tesla tried to game it, the government would just refuse to add it to the list.

Perhaps read the legislation before saying it's useless?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts