• I still have a reservation

Votes: 18 17.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am intrigued by how many people had a reservation and have now cancelled or went ahead and ordered.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I don't think the reservation makes the slightest difference anyway.

Maybe if they come up with a fantastic PCP offer and I can get to see one in person first I'll reconsider. But Tesla PCP is fairly crap so unlikely...

·
Premium Member
10,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My main objective was to see how many people with reservations cancelled as it looked like a lot had, but perhaps they were just more vocal in complaining on here ("how dare they sell it for more than £40K before PICG") whereas those who had ordered were down the pub celebrating ;)

The results could be totally bogus as people can be untruthful, but I think most on here are above such actions :)

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I am a day 1 reservation holder.

I was under the impression this was going to be the "affordable Tesla".

I set my budget at £40k and not a penny more, meaning I pay £36.5k + no VED including the govt grant.

Turns out it's about £4-5k more expensive than I thought or hoping it was going to be. It is so temping to put the order in but I'm going to stick to my budget and principles.

I don't have a problem with Tesla pricing it the way they have. At the end of the day, they are a buisness. They need to make a profit on what they are selling and the last thing I want to see is Tesla going out of buisness or making further losses just to please customers. I want the company to do well and succeed. I want Tesla to be the number 1 car manufacturer and take over the world lol.

The annoyance I have is Tesla bundling things like autopilot and maybe you can even go as far as bundling supercharging capability. They could have been clever and disabled these to get under the £40k mark and then us, the customer could have decided in the first 6 months of ownership to enable these features at a reduced price (say £3k, otherwise it will be £5k thereafter). Maybe this is somthing Tesla could introduce later down the line if sales dry up a bit...

I will keeping my reservation open for the time being and see how it all plays out. I am now going to reserve the ID next week and also the e-208 as a last resort backup, as I am in desperate need to replace my 2013 80k mile LEAF and I don't think I can wait any longer than 12 months from now.

·
Premium Member
10,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The annoyance I have is Tesla bundling things like autopilot
Cars need LKA as standard to get 5 star safety in Europe, hence Tesla include AP.

If they made AP optional, the Model 3 would only get 4 stars max which isn't exactly "on message" (as my marketing colleagues would say :rolleyes:) with regard to safety.

I agree that there is a chance they might offer a lower cost version in the future, but so far they haven't even designed a cheaper interior, manual seats, etc. I guess they could do one with less range, but unlikely they could offer range people want and make a profit at sub £40K RRP right now. Time will tell.

·
9,719 Posts
Ultimately Tesla needs the cash pennies they aren’t going to devalue the product.

I remember a time when the stated price of the Model X was going to be a wee bit more than the S - we know how that panned out, so I remain skeptical the cheap one will appear in the EU or be around in USA for much longer. Much like the Model S40.

Today’s model 3 has pivoted quite far away from the original Bluestar pitch IMHO.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
@proddick that's fair enough I'll just play the waiting game.

@Jack that's the impression I'm getting is thay Tesla wants to keep the brand identity intact and keep it as a premium brand. That's fair enough. Wish I knew this in 2016 :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's fair enough that Tesla may want to keep the premium brand tag, but they are competing with the likes of Audi and BMW who sell some cars that are not in the luxury tax bracket and also claim to be premium brands. This is what Tesla has to compete with.

·
Premium Member
10,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
It's fair enough that Tesla may want to keep the premium brand tag, but they are competing with the likes of Audi and BMW who sell some cars that are not in the luxury tax bracket and also claim to be premium brands. This is what Tesla has to compete with.
It isn't hard to get above £40K RRP with an Audi A4 or BMW 3 Series once you start clicking the option list. What helps those ICE buyers is that there are big discounts to compensate for the 5 years of luxury car tax.

BMW need to sell hybrids to get their fleet emissions down, so discount are often particularly good. The new 330e isn't available yet (a good comparison against Model 3 for company car drivers as lower BIK) so I did a CarWow on the BMW 550e M Sport with a few options :eek:

Screenshot_20190505-110706~2.png

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Due to Tesla volume-producing the M3, there shouldn't be any supply limitations. Especially as (I suspect) the 2% BIK peeps will be hoovering them up. I'm hoping this means that secondhand ones will be available in a year or two less a big chunk of depreciation. After all, why would you buy a secondhand one at the same cost as a new one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think we have to wait to see what the PCP and other lease options look like to understand if Tesla will really compete with the likes of Audi and BMW in the company car. Not so many people want to splash cash out for a new car, but plenty want to lease or get a company car. The latter is of course going to be a slow burn until the zero rate BIK comes in next year, which may have a huge effect.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I do think it’s a bit unfair to blame Tesla for the reduced value of the £ post Brexit. When £30k was being mentioned in March / April ‘16, the £/$ was around 1.5. Now it’s at around 1.3, when you add 10% import duty and 20% VAT then you can’t expect pricing to be anything other than the same in sterling as it is in $ in the states. If the SR ever gets offered here, I’d expect a price around £35k, unless the exchange rate recovers to pre-Brexit vote levels..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
It isn't hard to get above £40K RRP with an Audi A4 or BMW 3 Series once you start clicking the option list. What helps those ICE buyers is that there are big discounts to compensate for the 5 years of luxury car tax.

BMW need to sell hybrids to get their fleet emissions down, so discount are often particularly good. The new 330e isn't available yet (a good comparison against Model 3 for company car drivers as lower BIK) so I did a CarWow on the BMW 550e M Sport with a few options :eek:
View attachment 116578
I was meaning against more mainstream 3 series. For instance a 320 is easy to get below 40K and does not incur the luxury tax. I know that this is not a "green" car but Tesla need to compete with mainstream cars, expecially with the Base spec.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I was meaning against more mainstream 3 series. For instance a 320 is easy to get below 40K and does not incur the luxury tax. I know that this is not a "green" car but Tesla need to compete with mainstream cars, expecially with the Base spec.
Factor in road tax and fuel costs as well and the economics swing in Tesla's favour. Unless you're a very low mileage user I suppose. As I've said time and time again, they will either sell every unit they can make for the UK or they will adjust pricing or pull other demand levers. It's really very simple. They don't need every single person who was going to buy one to actually buy one to do that.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts