Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Love the forum!!
I'm new here so please bare with me :)

Planning to get a used few years old S 85D soon with about 20-40k miles on the clock, still looking for the right example..
Few questions to tesla owners:
what are the annual running costs of your model s?
What does the warranty covers on a used tesla?
Does the warranty transfer to the new owner?
What are the options of installing a home charger? Does the GOV still helping towards it?
What else I should be aware of when getting a used S85D?

So many questions.. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge.

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
If your getting a car newer than 4 years and less than 50K on the clock it'll the remaining warranty till than. You can extend the warranty via the Allianze product but its expensive (£2-3k a year??), and doesnt cover everything.

The battery and motor will be in warranty for 8 years in total, and battery degredation on the 85 cars are essentially negligible.

The car can charge off a 32amp blue commando socket which cost me £50 to fit, but a home charger is advised. The grant is still available I believe, avoid the Rolec chargers they have a reputation for blowing themselves up (not literally).

Door handles on S can fail on a regular basis and the central touch screen are the main out of warranty worries.

Your find this forum isnt a friendly or help to new EV members as before, especially the Tesla bit. There is almost as many Tesla haters on here as on wall street - They will make themselves known very soon am sure, panel gap measurements is a particular favourite hobby for this group, its like train spotting but with panel gaps.

But ignore them, having driven some very good combustion cars in my time and nearly all the other EVs on the market the S/X are simply the best cars on this planet!!

Happy car hunting :).

·
Registered
11,017 Posts
OMG - don’t mention the panel gaps! I thought we almost got away with it.

Now all his friends and family will point and laugh at him. :p

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
Hi all. Love the forum!!

Planning to get a used few years old S 85D soon with about 20-40k miles on the clock, still looking for the right example..
What are the options of installing a home charger? Does the GOV still helping towards it?

Have you looked at the Tesla used inventory as they (I am pretty sure) give you a 50,000 miles warrantee as well as the original battery one.......

·
Registered
880 Posts
Pretty much all the used cars in the country and the Tesla inventory are on my site, easily searchable.

Tesla MS and MX cars for sale in the UK

Warranty on Tesla used stock extends for a further 4 years, 50k miles so long as the car is in warranty at the time, if its not (say over 50k miles) they'll extend it a bit, more like 2 years and 25k up to a max 100k miles,.

Running costs depend on what you think is right. Insurance can be expensive (get a quote as it seems a bit of a lottery but some postcodes, driver histories, age seem to really work against them, for others it seems no big deal). Servicing if you opt for the recommended is 12.5k or 12 months, and its expensive (£500+), but its not required for the Tesla warranty, and many skip some of the services. Brakes etc are all usually low wear items so many run the car to high mileage for no more than the cost of tyres.

No road tax given the age of the car you're looking at, charge at home and you're probably looking at 3-5p per mile, charging out and about depends very munch on where - anything from no cheaper than petrol to completely free - I'd be surprised if you you paid much though except for the odd charge when you're desperate.

As mentioned door handles can be an issue, 12v battery can too, some have problems with suspension, motors etc, its hard to get a sense of the real numbers and most are still under warranty.

When looking, don't believe anything dealers tell you or say about the cars, the number of mistakes they make on their listings is quite amazing, there are only 1 or 2 good dealers out there who really know the market. Even Tesla haven't a clue at times, if you look at their used cars, they list 3 different performance times for P85D cars when they're all the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow..Thanks a lot guys for all your tips and time spent to reply to my post. All taken on board! Jon G - your website added to favourites too. I will keep you posted on my S hunting :)
Cheers!

·
Chartered Engineer
1,841 Posts
Others have mentioned the door handles as the most likely issue which I’d agree with although mine are fine at two and a half years and 76,500 miles. I did have an issue with the driver’s door handle sticking out but I found some debris between it and the body which I carefully removed and it’s been fine since.

My total cost excluding depreciation but including everything else (Tesla servicing, tyres, fuel, insurance, finance etc) worked out at less than 10p/mile (9.7 to be exact) over the first two years compared to my Prius plug-in that worked out at 17.8p/miles over two years. My mileage has been higher in the Model S than the PiP at around 35k/year compared to 25k/year which I estimate has added 0.6p to the difference and there is more capital tied up in the Model S but it’s still very impressive.

So far the Model S has proved to be the most reliable car I’ve ever owned pretty much beating even my first Prius. It’s also the best car I’ve ever owned overall and I still love driving it (or being semi-driven) which is very impressive. My Range Rover was on a par with comfort over long distances but seriously behind in terms of reliability and range anxiety (it was on LPG so at best would manage 150 miles between fill ups and the stress induced by running on petrol was high). In terms of build quality the Tesla is of course 14 years younger than my Rangie was but it’s much better screwed together. I should point out my experience of newer Land Rover products is limited to short drives and they may well have improved, but much as I loved my Rangie I’d take some serious convincing to ever own one again.

Others have had reliability issues with Teslas so bear that in mind - they are a growing company with a very different ethos to the conventional automakers and that can make for a patchy system. My own experience has been excellent, but I haven’t had any big issues so haven’t really strained the system.

You should love the 85D, it’s a superb car and it won’t have been stressed as much as a P model which is probably a bonus. My car is a 90D for reference - pretty much identical range and performance.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I’m another happy S85D driver here — 75k Miles, and just hitting my first out of warranty issue (pothole damage so not really Tesla’s fault). Waiting for a realistic quote then will proceed with a repair. The car is drivable in the meantime.

I would get a warranty and extend if necessary— the car has basically no independent garage support available so it is essential you use Tesla for just about everything. The cars have fewer things to service routinely or go completely ‘bang’ compared to a conventional car but I’m not enjoying the unwarrantied position I find myself in now. It’ll probably be Ok but a few major faults and could have a severe wallet dent.

Running costs are staggeringly low for a large car, especially if you are a high mileage driver. Go mad! You’ll enjoy it :)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Hi all. Love the forum!!

Others have covered annual running costs - essentially "cheap unless you have an out-of-warranty failure or buy a £600 service". If you are planning to skip the services this may have implications for your finance - eg PCP or HP provider might require it, or you might lose your GFV or rights to return the vehicle. The Allianz extended warranty product requires the vehicle to have FSH.

The Tesla warranty from new is transferable and comprehensive, and you see few complaints about their attitude to claims - whereas you see plenty of complaints about other aspects of service like delays. If you buy your used car from Tesla ("CPO") they will extend this full & comprehensive warranty. IMHO this is very desirable and makes a "CPO" car worth much more than random used Tesla from a 3rd party. The Allianz extended warranty is a bit of an unknown quantity at the moment - few cars old enough to have it and have had claims.

Home charger - others have covered the "commando socket" option, but IMHO this is a poor choice for permanent use as it requires you to leave the UMC (posh granny cable) lying on the floor. For permanent use you should probably get a type 2 tethered point. Budget £150 for this after the government grant so long as your installation isn't unusually hard (long cable lengths etc).

An 85D is a good choice of drivetrain - it loses little range vs a 90, has dual motors, supercharges fast because it has a 400V battery, and the 85 pack is long-lived and degrades slowly. However, you will be getting into an older car, like mine, so have to understand that there will be "general build quality" issues, possibly quite a lot of them.

Tesla have got much better at manufacturing since they started making the MS and older cars will show this - expect squeaks, rattles, rust on steel components (my tailgate struts, frunk release, wheel centres), tail lights full of condensation, worn seats, etc. Little of it seriously bad but I, personally, feel much better for having the warm glow of Tesla CPO warranty surround me for this stuff.

Lastly, stuff you didn't ask:

Get 19" wheels, the 21s are completely impractical as potholes destroy them.

The car is very wide and very long, parking can be a chore and small country roads are not necessarily fun.

If you do many motorway miles, autopilot is a must. Life-changing technology. Don't skimp on this.

Do get one, they're an iconic and unique vehicle and nothing in the world drives like it.

·
Registered
756 Posts
All good points...

But personally, Autopilot for me is something I can do without and wouldn’t spend money on again.

I have AP1 which has only very recently been bested by AP2.5 apparently, and occasionally, in stop and go traffic jam conditions on the motorway it’s useful. But the rest of the time it tries to lull you into a sense of security only to do something insane at a moments notice. So you have to be absolutely on the ball and ready to instantly react to catch it when it does something stupid or gets itself into trouble before dumping a difficult road situation in your lap. It’s an impressive party trick to show your friends, but after that it’s more relaxing to just drive yourself. I drive about 60% of my miles on the motorway and only a couple of % of those with AP engaged.

I know others will disagree, but this is my experience given my comfort level with the automation as it is now.

However, fundamentally it’s a great car and you’ll feel like your driving the future. Go for it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
...and you get lots of cowbell too. Go for it.

Oh and AP, I do 90% of my driving with it, and love it, but you need to understand its limits. Being a software guy, this was no problem for me, but it does take a bit of understanding. It's not foolproof by any means.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
...and you get lots of cowbell too. Go for it.

Oh and AP, I do 90% of my driving with it, and love it, but you need to understand its limits. Being a software guy, this was no problem for me, but it does take a bit of understanding. It's not foolproof by any means.
Likewise most of my miles are motorway and if I were buying another Tesla I would have to have it. If for some outlandish reason I chose another car, it will have to have the same functionality, which quite limits my car options.

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
AP or not any Tesla is simply a reveltion to drive compared to anything on the roads, they are simply the best cars on this planet to drive and by a long long margin.

I never thought I would waste so much time taking photos of a 6 seater, near 3 ton SUV :).

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Every time I see a Porsche or AMG I want to make them feel small.

Does this make me a bad person?

Probably...
I don't.

But what I do find, up here where Teslas are not so common, is people in "fast" ICE cars who simply must get past the Tesla and will risk the lives of themselves and their passengers to do it.

This is sort-of comic, in a dark way, when my first awareness of them is as a blur in the side window followed by a load of tyre smoke and dust ahead as they "arrive" and TACC (always set on big numbers) makes space.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I had a rather brief entertaining experience on the A33 in Basingstoke where a 911 was desperate to leave me behind at the lights and failed twice.

It was brief because when he finally wound it up in his desperation to pass me and the two articulated lorries in front of me as the road goes from dual to single carriageway, nearly wiping himself out on the lorry and approaching traffic.

I looked across as he is now on my right, to see he has two small kids in the car with him about 7 or 8 years old, so what was a mildly amusing traffic light Grand Prix obviously became something far more important to him, which could have quite tragic consequences.

I just don’t bother anymore, sure I whizz away into the distance when I feel like it, but very mindful now of what others try to do as a result.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Pretty much all the used cars in the country and the Tesla inventory are on my site, easily searchable.

Tesla MS and MX cars for sale in the UK
Can I just say what a useful and helpful website this is. Really amazing job. I'm not sure if you take feature requests, but one thing that would be awesome is to be able to click a particular vehicle and see the price change history for that particular vehicle.

Even the cheapest used Model S is still out of my price range but I hope to get one in the next year or two. I'm sure it'll be one that'll be well out of warranty so I need to account for a reasonable budget for out of warranty repairs which I know can be pricey.

Thanks again :-D

·
Registered
880 Posts
Can I just say what a useful and helpful website this is. Really amazing job. I'm not sure if you take feature requests, but one thing that would be awesome is to be able to click a particular vehicle and see the price change history for that particular vehicle.

Even the cheapest used Model S is still out of my price range but I hope to get one in the next year or two. I'm sure it'll be one that'll be well out of warranty so I need to account for a reasonable budget for out of warranty repairs which I know can be pricey.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Lately the focus has been to automate the collection and refresh, its one of the reasons why new cars on Pistonheads are added within the day, but Autotrader make it very difficult and I still have to run the job manually and pick over the errors. All Tesla owned cars are updated a couple of times a day.

I do capture some price history, I think I might have a small bug which misses some, but I'll look to do that. I was wanting to try and capture more car details for non Tesla listed cars, dealers really are terrible at describing their cars making it pretty hard!

·
Registered
2,672 Posts

Ditto on the above, had I known of the site prior to purchasing mine my search would have been significantly easier.

It will be interesting to see what the introduction of the model 3 does for the pricing evolution of the Model S certainly and even possibly the Model X.

Not sure whether it will shore them up or soften them, with some people moving out of them for a smaller car. The used Model S/X may actually be a better bet for high milers than a used Model 3 which comes with a 100K drivetrain warranty, like the early 60s also had or 120k for the long range version.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts