Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/infinite-mile-warranty

The Tesla Model S drive unit warranty has been increased to match that of the battery pack. That means the 85 kWh Model S, our most popular model by far, now has an 8 year, infinite mile warranty on both the battery pack and drive unit. There is also no limit on the number of owners during the warranty period.

Moreover, the warranty extension will apply retroactively to all Model S vehicles ever produced. In hindsight, this should have been our policy from the beginning of the Model S program. If we truly believe that electric motors are fundamentally more reliable than gasoline engines, with far fewer moving parts and no oily residue or combustion byproducts to gum up the works, then our warranty policy should reflect that.

To investors in Tesla, I must acknowledge that this will have a moderately negative effect on Tesla earnings in the short term, as our warranty reserves will necessarily have to increase above current levels. This is amplified by the fact that we are doing so retroactively, not just for new customers. However, by doing the right thing for Tesla vehicle owners at this early stage of our company, I am confident that it will work out well in the long term.

– Elon

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Hopefully this will raise the bar for other EV manufactures too.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Again I am sure this costs Elon very little in the long run but the press he gets everytime he does something like this is priceless.

Now he raises the game on every other car vendor to match his move

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
He definitely knows how to work the press and the public. Just makes people want to buy one. Unfortunately I do not have £65k.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Very good question. Less reliable, or just not financially viable.
Because part of the value proposition of the 85v60 question is a better warranty. You'd royally piss off every 85 owner if the 60s got the same warranty.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
And the 60 Owners too unfortunately :(

Supercharger support, and restricted battery warranty were the biggest negatives. When the car was new.

Range and performance are a non issue for a lot of us in the UK.

I weighed up this in choosing the 60. as the tables turn more and more in favour of the 85, it is negatively effecting the value proposition, esp from a resale pov :(

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
If you check the design studio, where you configure your new car, the 60 has an updated warranty statement which includes the drive unit.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I don't think the Model S 60 will do too bad on depreciation.

£50k list price. I really can see the car still fetching about £35k after 3 years with 50k miles on the clock. Especially considering it has another 5 years left on the warranty.

£5k depreciation a year for a car of this class, with possible £2k a year fuel savings.

Looks a good buy to me...

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
I think the point though is that it's the same drive unit, and this is evidence of high confidence in the product. Of course, you may be the unlucky one, but such is life. If that is important enough to you, trade it in for an 85!
And the 60 Owners too unfortunately :(

Supercharger support, and restricted battery warranty were the biggest negatives. When the car was new.

Range and performance are a non issue for a lot of us in the UK.

I weighed up this in choosing the 60. as the tables turn more and more in favour of the 85, it is negatively effecting the value proposition, esp from a resale pov :(
ts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
TBH I'm not overly worried, I'll get nowhere near 120k miles, much more likely 20k over 3 years if previous cars are anything to go by.

I'm more concerned if Tesla keep retrospectively upping the value differential of the 85, by leaving us early adopting 60 owners out. I made an informed choice at the time of order, not based on speculating the changes Tesla would make in the future that make my car even less desirable against an 85.

I'm not unhappy enough to trade the car in, by a long stretch of the imagination, but I do hope this is the last time.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I don't understand that. I assume Tesla are saying to Kevin that his battery degradation is normal?

Ah just clicked on the forum link.

How bad is his range now compared to new? He has done about 60k miles hasn't he?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Trouble is, they have done a full analysis and concluded that it is normal degradation - it is not that one brick that is under-performing consistently. Now they have done this analysis, you could say it is a matter of opinion as to whether or not the degradation is a warranty issue.

Would be a nice gesture if they offered a heavily discounted price for the Roadster battery upgrade when it becomes available.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts