Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just did a online quote for Model S 85kw, value £62000 it would cost me nearly £1000 to insure!!

Yet just for comparison, A Porsche Panamera GTS (£95000) just under £700.

I wonder why Tesla is so much more to insure?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who with mine is roughly 400 a year on similar car with admiral
Just 400! o_O You must be living in the middle of nowhere :D Cheapest for me currently is eGolf, just £200.

Oh well, I'll be 50 in a few weeks time, may be my insurance will be cheaper then ;)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Leather associate with luxury, but if i could opt out of it, i would.
Too hot in summer and too cold in winter.
As for the sunroof, i`d never use it and it also saves weight which is important especially for an EV.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Opted for light grey leather so no problems in summer and heated seats solve winter problem
Problem with light coloured leather is trying to keep it clean, look nice when its new, but after a few months...

·
Registered
40 Posts
if you live in a major city insurers are nervous about scrapes in aluminium body and expensive repairs. Some are scared rigid about having to front for a £30K battery pack in a major accident.

·
1,547 Posts
Initial insurance rates in the US were also horrid. Normalized as more cars were put on the road. I wonder what the rates are in Norway (relative to other cars in their own market.)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I have no idea what mine costs as we have 15 cars on a self administered fleet. So I just stuck it on there.

I'm not surprised it costs more than a Porsche though. Aluminium panels vs. Steel with limited spares network and unknown pricing (I expect a wing for an S to be expensive though)

With regard what constitutes poverty spec, technology package is mandatory in my view. 3g isn't good enough for navigation, and parking sensors require it, and I agree with Jon, parking sensors are a must. Getting it into parking bays without grazing the front bumper would be very difficult. This is coming from someone that drove a double cab pickup for the last 3 years!

I also thought I'd need foglights for the aesthetics, I don't like cars that have a blanking plate where fogs should live. Fortunately technology package gives you cornering lights in this space, so fogs are extremely questionable in my view.

Never seen one with cloth trim, but I think it would look out of place. There is such a simplicity in the cabin it relies on the touch screen and high quality components to lift the feel.

I've gone for the tan interior, which really looks ace, and better than the online view which makes it look a bit orange. Keeping it like that is going to take a determined effort though.(I lack Jon's OCD gene)

My old car had a sunroof, and the blind was permanently shut, so panoramic roof seemed pointless.Besides I have a convertible for weekends ;)

All in mine came to a shade over £55k after the grant. Truly poverty spec 60 model though.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I think that's a very sensible configuration. The only upgrade I would suggest is the 85 battery, for the range, unlimited warranty and supercharger access.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I think that's a very sensible configuration. The only upgrade I would suggest is the 85 battery, for the range, unlimited warranty and supercharger access.
Completely agree, 85 would have been better, for the reasons you state, but also resale values.

Saying that I was forced for boring political reasons into keeping the cost down so I could run it through the business and claim first year capital allowances. Whilst still keeping parity with my fellow business partners, who insist on driving round in quaint Mercedes and Porsches ;)

If I'd bought the car more conventionally I'd opt for the S85 in a flash.

I'll Look to trade up to a P85 in three years when mine will still have 1 year manufacturer's warranty and probably 90k left of the battery warranty.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
if you live in a major city insurers are nervous about scrapes in aluminium body and expensive repairs. Some are scared rigid about having to front for a £30K battery pack in a major accident.
Welcome to Speak EV... There's no sneaking in without detection around here. ;) :D

1 - 20 of 61 Posts