Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

model S insurance

6K views 60 replies 18 participants last post by  GreyDad 
#1 · (Edited)
Just did a online quote for Model S 85kw, value £62000 it would cost me nearly £1000 to insure!!

Yet just for comparison, A Porsche Panamera GTS (£95000) just under £700.

I wonder why Tesla is so much more to insure?

#16 ·
Initial insurance rates in the US were also horrid. Normalized as more cars were put on the road. I wonder what the rates are in Norway (relative to other cars in their own market.)

#17 ·
I have no idea what mine costs as we have 15 cars on a self administered fleet. So I just stuck it on there.

I'm not surprised it costs more than a Porsche though. Aluminium panels vs. Steel with limited spares network and unknown pricing (I expect a wing for an S to be expensive though)

With regard what constitutes poverty spec, technology package is mandatory in my view. 3g isn't good enough for navigation, and parking sensors require it, and I agree with Jon, parking sensors are a must. Getting it into parking bays without grazing the front bumper would be very difficult. This is coming from someone that drove a double cab pickup for the last 3 years!

I also thought I'd need foglights for the aesthetics, I don't like cars that have a blanking plate where fogs should live. Fortunately technology package gives you cornering lights in this space, so fogs are extremely questionable in my view.

Never seen one with cloth trim, but I think it would look out of place. There is such a simplicity in the cabin it relies on the touch screen and high quality components to lift the feel.

I've gone for the tan interior, which really looks ace, and better than the online view which makes it look a bit orange. Keeping it like that is going to take a determined effort though.(I lack Jon's OCD gene)

My old car had a sunroof, and the blind was permanently shut, so panoramic roof seemed pointless.Besides I have a convertible for weekends ;)

All in mine came to a shade over £55k after the grant. Truly poverty spec 60 model though.

#19 ·
Completely agree, 85 would have been better, for the reasons you state, but also resale values.

Saying that I was forced for boring political reasons into keeping the cost down so I could run it through the business and claim first year capital allowances. Whilst still keeping parity with my fellow business partners, who insist on driving round in quaint Mercedes and Porsches ;)

If I'd bought the car more conventionally I'd opt for the S85 in a flash.

I'll Look to trade up to a P85 in three years when mine will still have 1 year manufacturer's warranty and probably 90k left of the battery warranty.

#22 ·
I am getting pretty frustrated with my insurance quotes, its even dearer now than my original quote, despite I turned 50 in last couple of weeks(thought its the best age for insurance?)
Churchill do not cover model S, Admiral wanted £1600.

The cheapest quote so far £1100, and they wanted a box fitted!! No way on earth I am allowing that so they might turn away any claim in future.

I have full no claims, not had a claim since 21, no convictions to speak of...

I did another quote just for comparison, An Audi A8 top of the line W12, it came to £700, and so was Porsche GTS.

Why the hell does it cost so much!!

#25 ·
I am getting pretty frustrated with my insurance quotes, its even dearer now than my original quote, despite I turned 50 in last couple of weeks(thought its the best age for insurance?)
I hope that doesn't mean someone's bent one already :(

and they wanted a box fitted!! No way on earth I am allowing that so they might turn away any claim in future.
Black box, or a GPS tracker?

I had to have a monitored tracker installed in my old Exige at the insurers request (as did a 911 we had on the fleet) this was a blanket directive they applied to any cars over a certain insurance group.

If it is a tracker, rather than a PAYG box, then it's a bit daft as the Model S is inherently GPS tracked anyway, and I'm sure Tesla could remotely disable the car if needed. Of course it probably isn't classed as an approved "Category 5 system" to satisfy the underwriters :(

I'd be worried about the warranty perspective, and what a mess they'd make installing the thing. I removed one from a second hand car once, and TBH it was installed appallingly. :(

#24 ·

The cheapest quote so far £1100, and they wanted a box fitted!! No way on earth I am allowing that so they might turn away any claim in future.

I have full no claims, not had a claim since 21, no convictions to speak of...

I did another quote just for comparison, An Audi A8 top of the line W12, it came to £700, and so was Porsche GTS.

Why the hell does it cost so much!!

I'm in London and its £1600 for just me and my wife- both mid 50's no claims etc- to drive.
Neighbour with a model S has his and another family car covered by admiral for £900 for both cars. My broker says in my case it's the London weighting

#31 ·
Now I think I know why my insurance expensive, may be some insurance companies starting to realise Tesla are expensive to repair!!

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/36261-Need-Advice-Minor-Ding-Incredible-Body-Shop-Quote-(insurance-options-)
$11,000 for that damage is nuts!!

Tesla really are going to have to get a grip on this, or the cars will be virtually uninsurable. All that money you save on diesel will be going straight to the insurance firms. :(

#32 · (Edited)
If I decide to go ahead with the Tesla. but with UK tiny parking spaces, it would be inevitable at some stage in its life suffer minor dings and scratches! :(

With my previous cars, I always foot the bill myself, but with Tesla, I may well need to claim off the insurance! :eek:

#33 ·
If I decided to lease the car for 3 years which I was about to do if I am being honest. With UK tiny parking spaces, it would be inevitable at some stage in its life, minor dinks and scratches will appear :(

With my previous cars, I always foot the bill myself, but with Tesla, I may well need to claim off the insurance! :eek:
When we off-fire our contract hire cars, we sometimes pay a local body shop to slap it full of filler and do a quick spray over before they go back if anything's too noticeable. It's not like you can use the magnet test on a Tesla ;)

#34 ·
This actually reminded me on what conditions it needs to be when you returning the car??

I know Mercedes are pretty generous, you allowed dings and scratches up to certain size, and probably a few other bits I don't remember right now??

#37 ·
As my delivery date is fast approaching (27/2!) i have started the process of obtaining insurance quotes.

Standard model s 85, 11 years ncd. 10,000 miles annual. coventry.

Not really looking forward to this as half expected a nasty shock but Esure (who i use already for my 54 plate merc vito van) just quoted me £352, which was a pleasant surprise as best i'd had before when looked online briefly in autumn was c. £650 with admiral.

apparently due to high value of car (not because its an ev) underwriters stipulated minimum voluntary excess of £700.

also, (again for same reason) they said it would need to have a security tracker. i said i was sure the car was fitted with a tracking facility as standard and callcentre person said if that was the case it would be fine. (will it?)

the van (personal use only ie. not business) cost about the same. 500 excess. it's worth about 67 grand less, which i guess goes to show good chunk of premium is solely to cover you for 3rd party risk.

#38 ·
Not really looking forward to this as half expected a nasty shock but Esure (who i use already for my 54 plate merc vito van) just quoted me £352, which was a pleasant surprise as best i'd had before when looked online briefly in autumn was c. £650 with admiral.

apparently due to high value of car (not because its an ev) underwriters stipulated minimum voluntary excess of £700.
Sounds similar to the (speculative) on-line quotation I asked for.

Sadly insurance is not a reason I can't get a Tesla. I still can't afford one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.