Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
“The current world record stands at four hours stoppage time and I’m pretty sure we can beat that" - I'm not sure where they got the four hour figure from nor what they mean by world record because Guiness World Records won't accept records for timed events on public roads in the UK :confused:

That said, I wish them luck and as soon as someone does this with full Supercharger access the better :D

·
Banned
558 Posts
Mmmm! 840 miles, in a £100K super-car - on a journey mainly on Motorways. Its not for charity - he expects to be sponsored and to get in the G-B-R? Yes, but in what section of the G-B-R?

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
My calculations are that if he can get 100% of the 50kW CHAdeMO charge at each stop he will require very close to 3 hours of charging time. So, possible to beat the 4 hour "record" but not hugely. I wonder who set that one. Of course Tesla may have added at least one Super Charger by September

·
Registered
538 Posts
Oh, Hi...

I didn't spot this thread at first. This would be me! :) I'll try and clear a few things up...

Kevin is correct, GWR will not encourage speeding. The official title of the record is:- “LEAST NON-DRIVING TIME FROM LAND'S END TO JOHN O'GROATS IN AN ELECTRIC VEHICLE”. As of my last email from GWR, this currently stands at 4 hours.

I've emailed GWR to ask for some more details for the current record to try and find out what type of vehicle was used last time. There are also some fairly strict witness requirements which I am still trying to get the some clarification on. Currently the documentation I have received states that I must have at least 1 witness present for the entire journey and some sort of secondary witnesses - perhaps just at each charging stop making signed entries in a logbook.

The 4 or 5 days relates to the total journey. I'm based in Lancashire, so day 1 will be driving to JOG, and getting some rest and a FULL charge. Day 2 will be the main record attempt. 19 hours by my estimate - Indeed Matt, I estimated about 3 hours for CHAdeMO. If by some twist of fate the first few superchargers are in exactly the right spots, I might be able to do 3 x 45 min charges. Day 3 I hope to enjoy some of the south coast - I've never been there before and day 4 will be the trip back home to Lancashire.

Probably closer to 1500 - 2000 miles all in. I can't imagine you would do the trip in much less time in an ICE car and still enjoy it. So hopefully it won't paint a bad picture of EVs. If you think it might Kevin, then let me know and I might shuffle my plans round a bit as the ultimate goal is to promote them.

Sponsorship yes. I'm looking at this mostly from a business perspective. If my numbers come up in the lotto this weekend, I'll be able to forget about the sponsors - but at the moment they are required. It's a bit of a circle - sponsorship drives events, events raise awareness which raise takeup & sales.

This is also a bit of a challenge for me. It's outside my normal business activities, so I'm finding it really interesting and exciting from that point of view too.

I wish I could tell you that my first sponsor has come from one of the many "green" companies I have contacted so far... But it's actually an oil company! Oh well. I don't mind where the money comes from (mostly), if the event is a success then it still raises awareness for EV's and renewable energy.

I say "mostly business", because I used to really enjoy driving and motor shows. I've done a few track days in the past and owned my fair share of hot hatches - but as I got busier in my professional life and as the cost of fuel increased, driving became just a way to get from A to B and back again.

I can't actually remember the last time I just "went for a drive". I'm hoping this adventure will put a smile back on my face from just enjoying the driving.:D:D

Please feel free to pick my brains and poke holes in my plans - I'm learning as I go and all constructive feedback is welcome.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Good luck with the run.

What are you expecting sponsorship for? £36 in charges? :LOL:

I wish I could tell you that my first sponsor has come from one of the many "green" companies I have contacted so far... But it's actually an oil company! Oh well. I don't mind where the money comes from (mostly), if the event is a success then it still raises awareness for EV's and renewable energy.
OMG.......but they are all big, massive, self serving companies only interested in share holder returns, suppressing battery technology and trying to eliminate BEV.......... ;)

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Good luck with the run.
This thread is originally 2 years old.

I'm not sure if @PMC Paul ever did a record run but the update I posted is that another owner, Jeff Alan, did this drive last October and Guiness World Records has today recognised his record for the shortest charging time (they don't endorse the actual journey time as it encourages speeding). However the End-to-End Association did issue a certificate based on evidence of hitting way points, as you can see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts