Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

After what seems like an eternity I've finally picked up my Model S. Woohoo! :)

I have to say I love the car. I've been a bit of a lurker, reading up a lot on here to get a good feel for the practicalities before making the plunge, so thanks all.

Simon

Super Moderator
Congrats Simon! Have you driven an EV before or is this your first experience?

Registered
Will keep my eye open for you. What colour is it any where are you based? I'll be the one looking enviously at you from an ice blue Ampera.

Super Moderator
@Paul
What are the different car numbers?
It is starting to sound like Model S and Outlanders are taking over the world:)

Premium Member
@Simon 鈥 I'll be very interested to read how you get on with your Model S and would like to know the spec/options you chose.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I went pretty basic... S60, Black, cream leather, tech package, parking sensors. The car does have dual chargers, but I didn't spec it that way.

I was number 120(ish) in the reservation numbers, but I don't think they've been delivered in strict reservation order.

Overall it really does have a quality feel. You'd have to nit pick to find stuff materially worse than say a Jag XF. Recently I've been in the Hybrid E class, 530 Touring, etc. by the time you've specced those up you aren't a million miles away list price wise (of course contract hire / finance rates are a different matter), but IMHO and for MY journeys far inferior cars.

Will I be upset I didn't buy the 85... only time will tell, but I really don't do many miles, maybe 5K tops per year. Combine this with the fact I can't think of more than a couple of times in the last 5 years where I would exceed the range of the 60.

I don't live in / go to London / South East / Cheshire, so the chances of using a SuperCharger are remote, taking away the other major reason to go for the larger pack.

I also have a Lotus Elise, so the money I'm saving will pay for some upgrades to make it comparable to a P85 down the quarter mile ;)

Super Moderator
Best of both worlds there I think! How many miles have you out on the Elise since getting the S?

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Nice. What engine upgrades have you got planned for the Elise to make it P85 fast ?
Honda K20 engine swap (the one from the Civic Type-R), probably without a supercharger to begin with. 220+ BHP in a car weighing < 750KG, will be plenty for the road, and up there with the P85.

The peaky nature of those engines isn't great for general pootling round, and the antithesis of the S power delivery, but the sound of them at full chat (8,500 RPM) is fantastic, and for me the Elise is all about driver involvement.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Best of both worlds there I think! How many miles have you out on the Elise since getting the S?
Not many TBH, Saying that I'm booked on the Chunnel next week in the Elise, as I'm driving down to the Stelvio Pass, and time permitting onto Monaco. So she'll have 3000 miles more soon :)

Super Moderator
Not many TBH, Saying that I'm booked on the Chunnel next week in the Elise, as I'm driving down to the Stelvio Pass, and time permitting onto Monaco. So she'll have 3000 miles more soon :)
Now -that- sounds like a good reason for an 85 with SC to me!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts