Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the Crawley Tesla test drive yesterday. I wasn't booked in for a drive as already done this but was in the area and wanted another look.

It's a big car. Watching the test drivers reverse into the dedicated spaces was an eye opener. I'm still undecided as to if it's just too big. I've had an XC90 but this seems even bigger particularly the width. Now that we have a few owners on here how are you finding the size? Do you use it to visit normal car parks?

One of the employees said the next supercharger is going to be at Green Park off the M4. They seemed to be pretty sure of this and said there is a coffee shop etc. They also said Edinburgh but wouldn't say where.

The employees were also fully aware of Kevin Sharpe and his battery degradation issues. They sensibly would not comment. I was impressed that even the sales staff were aware though.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Green Park to the south of Reading by the M4 has a huge Ecotricity windmill with a charging point in a nearby layby. There is a cafe close by which caters to the local businesses, open Monday to Friday 0800-1600, so I expect that is where it is going.

Is the Tesla/Ecotricity detante back on?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
It is a big car, and this did take a little getting used to. As well as the reversing camera, I specified the tech pack (includes auto tilting side mirrors), and parking sensors. All this plus pretty light steering and very precise speed control make the car better than most. However, it is still a long car, which means that it often sticks out of a regular parking space. I also tend to avoid multi-storey car parks where I know the up & down ramps are narrow - i.e. you need a slightly bigger turning circle to get the back of the car onto the ramp without kerbing it (or worse).

If you want a nippy car that fits nicely into almost any parking space then maybe a Zoe or Leaf would be a better bet!

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
If you want a nippy car that fits nicely into almost any parking space then maybe a Zoe or Leaf would be a better bet!

Or an i3.

I was blown away by the Model S's capability and specced up my car on the Tesla website several times, but I don't need its range and I prefer the nippiness of smaller cars too much.

I still haven't decided whether the i3 is worth the premium over the LEAF for me.

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a big car, and this did take a little getting used to. As well as the reversing camera, I specified the tech pack (includes auto tilting side mirrors), and parking sensors. All this plus pretty light steering and very precise speed control make the car better than most. However, it is still a long car, which means that it often sticks out of a regular parking space. I also tend to avoid multi-storey car parks where I know the up & down ramps are narrow - i.e. you need a slightly bigger turning circle to get the back of the car onto the ramp without kerbing it (or worse).

Wife has the leaf so alls good in that department! I3 drives well... Looks well... Err

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
I used to drive a Navara Pickup so the physical size wasn't quite such a problem.

One thing though is the seating position is a lot lower, so you are looking across the car, at obstacles rather than down on them if that makes sense. It is quite difficult to judge where the corners are relation to things you could hit.

I really wouldn't want one without parking sensors.

It has a much better turning circle than the Nav too, which does help, esp. in multi storey car parks.

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
T
I used to drive a Navara Pickup so the physical size wasn't quite such a problem.

One thing though is the seating position is a lot lower, so you are looking across the car, at obstacles rather than down on them if that makes sense. It is quite difficult to judge where the corners are relation to things you could hit.

I really wouldn't want one without parking sensors.

It has a much better turning circle than the Nav too, which does help, esp. in multi storey car parks.
Thanks Simon for the detail. Was pretty much how I felt when I drove one. Mine was lh drive with no parking sensors.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
I knew it was Range Rover size, didn't know that was bigger than the XC90. I used to borrow the in-laws one sometimes, it's a beast. Only smashed one set of (very expensive) lights when manoeuvring too, so not that bad(?!). I was a MINI driver at the time though, so felt HUGE.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I went from the leaf to the model S and it took me all of a couple of days to adjust to the size. Some car parks are a little challenging but you soon adapt and with the parking sensors and camera is just as easy to park as the leaf was.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
One other downside I found out this weekend, is how long it takes to wash, polish and wax. Literally took me hours!

Serves me right for having gone black, whilst obv. the best colour, it shows the dirt.

Hopefully the fancy wax I applied keeps it clean longer :)

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Apart from the obvious challenges regarding driving a car of this size one of my concerns would be damage from other cars when parked.

You might get used to parking it but once it is in the bay and you have walked away then that is when the damage is likely to occur. Being that wide means little space between your car and the one next to it and I have witnessed first hand how some people deal with tight spaces when getting in and out. I would be very worried that my £70,000 car would end up with small dents and paint damage from the doors of the £1000 wrecks parked next to it in the car park.

If I had one I would never take it to the supermarket or even want to park it up in a normal public car park!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
One other downside I found out this weekend, is how long it takes to wash, polish and wax. Literally took me hours!

Serves me right for having gone black, whilst obv. the best colour, it shows the dirt.

Hopefully the fancy wax I applied keeps it clean longer :)
Lol, washed the car yesterday in a record-breaking 65 minutes. I didn't need to bother with waxing/polishing as a) it's got a glass coat and b) I added a fancy wax last week! Most of the time was spent getting all my two-bucket kit together, the karcher, the filter etc. and walking back and fore to the outside tap to switch it on or off. Having the paint protection is immensly helpful!

And mines black too, it's dirty already

·
Registered
208 Posts
Apart from the obvious challenges regarding driving a car of this size one of my concerns would be damage from other cars when parked.

You might get used to parking it but once it is in the bay and you have walked away then that is when the damage is likely to occur. Being that wide means little space between your car and the one next to it and I have witnessed first hand how some people deal with tight spaces when getting in and out. I would be very worried that my £70,000 car would end up with small dents and paint damage from the doors of the £1000 wrecks parked next to it in the car park.

If I had one I would never take it to the supermarket or even want to park it up in a normal public car park!!!
As others have said, parking (once you get used to is) is really easy, I find it's the easiest car I've ever had for parking, given the camera and parking sensors. That said, I am worried about others pranging it. I take great care entering and leaving my car when in a car park but I've had people bang their doors into my car while I was sitting in it, and just walk off.

We went to look at sofas yesterday in Chester and flitted from car park to car park with no problems parking, but these were all generously sized spaces. Perhaps I should borrow a child and use the adult/child spaces, then again, one fella was using it and he had two teenagers!

The one thing that is a real pain though; the turning circle is rubbish! Dropping off at Lime Street station there is a mini roundabout to come back out of the drop-off point; I now have to do a 3 point turn!

·
Likes talking about cars
663 Posts
Good news about the new SC in Green Park, Reading. From the crude coming soon map looks like there maybe another in Gloucester or Bristol soon, which would be nice.

Lee what coating did you get applied to the car and how much did it cost?

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
http://topcardetailing.co.uk/tesla-s-the-ultimate-detail/

Details are at the above URL. Looks like he created a video too, car looked bloody fantastic!

Cost was £700 but that included the paint recovery; the swirl marks were terrible!

Edit: oh and I believe it was PolishAngel Glass Coat Cosmic
All I can say is wow!

TBH I was impressed with the quality of the paint out of the factory (one thing the yanks really take pride in is paint and the horn's volume).

I used Autoglym SRP, followed by a nice coating of Collinite. But it's not a patch on that!

Off to count my penny jar :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
I always wanted bigger cars. Thought the current Mondeo was too big, then got a current gen 5-series which was definitely too big. Now I have a choice of a Leaf or a Hyundai i30 and find hatchbacks that size to be spot on. Love Tesla technology, will look at Model 3, but S looks way to big for our roads, car parks, the 6'6 lane in motorway roadworks etc

1 - 20 of 36 Posts