Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
For those not on twitter (or for some crazy reason not following me) you may have missed this earlier:

Basically as I arrived at Cherwell valley I saw the Tesla on the AC and the Leaf hopefully connected to the DC, but obviously waiting for the Tesla. After about 20 minutes the driver of the black Leaf appeared, explained she'd been waiting in the car for about half an hour, then taken her baby into the services for some respite from the heat. After waiting another 15 minutes or so she went on her way, hoping to stretch her charge enough to make it to he next rapid. I had no chance of that, arriving at Cherwell with about 7 miles left.

So I sat and waited for the Tesla driver to return, or the charge to complete and let me use the charger. After another 30 minutes or so the family with the Tesla appeared, and there was a small crowd that wanted to know all about it.

What was quite interesting was that the owners had no clue what a Leaf was, they were telling the crowd theirs was 100% electric, unlike the other cars out there "oh, mine is totally electric too" "it doesn't have an engine?" "No" "not at all? No petrol?" "No" "how far does it go? Because I get worried with ours because it's only 250 miles" "70 miles or so" "oh....."
Now that's great I think, they got the Tesla because it's a desirable car in and of itself, with zero clue about the rest of the EV market. Well done Tesla!

But as the conversation was dragging on they wanted to know how long I'd be, well I am waiting for you to stop charging, this unit can only charge one car at once. "Oh really?" "Yes, another car came to use the charger while you were in the services and she gave up and left in the end" "oh...."

So these people that know little or nothing about the wider EV world know all about ecotricity, have a card and everything? It seems plausible to me that Tesla are pointing drivers to ecotricity (maybe even signing them up for the card?) but not telling the drivers anything about who else might be using them, or important details like they are one sided.

So an interesting experience and a waste of an hour, makes me very glad ecotricity are doubling up, but we will soon need more than double I feel...!

Registered
i dont think tesla are promoting ecotricity but there is a private forum that you only get access to with a reservation where a lot of discussion about ecotricity takes place

Registered
The only manageable and reliable solution is to install more chargers. Relying on etiquette is not manageable or reliable.

Nevertheless, I don't feel like it's Telsa's job to teach people how to use Ecotricity's equipment - and especially not the particulars about proper etiquette when using Ecotricity's equipment due to inadequate Ecotricity capacity. That's Ecotricity's job... they need to do that when they ship out their RFID cards as part of their sign-up.

Furthermore, if they started charging for the usage whether per-hour or per-kWh then they'd also ensure that the service is available to those who need it the most.

Registered
I think they should stop the AC side. Renault have stopped supporting the rapid charge rollout and the AC side just prevents the DC side being used when a car such as the tesla or I3 uses it as a fast charger.

Registered
The only manageable and reliable solution is to install more chargers. Relying on etiquette is not manageable or reliable.

Nevertheless, I don't feel like it's Telsa's job to teach people how to use Ecotricity's equipment - and especially not the particulars about proper etiquette when using Ecotricity's equipment due to inadequate Ecotricity capacity. That's Ecotricity's job... they need to do that when they ship out their RFID cards as part of their sign-up.

Furthermore, if they started charging for the usage whether per-hour or per-kWh then they'd also ensure that the service is available to those who need it the most.
Or setting the chargers to automatically stop after 30mins so the next person can get a fair chance! I'd love to have a tesla but I'd hate to cause someone to wait for over an hour just to start their essential charge so they could get home

Registered
This is why the sooner that Ecotricity start charging for use the better, I would bet the Tesla owner didnt even need the charge either? when I get my Model S I wont ever use ecotricity, I understand that for now as there is only 1 supercharger the Teslas have to stick with whats there, I dont think any Tesla owners with super charger access will bother Ecotricity much when the supercharger network is in place.

I would always unplug and let people with a greater need plug in, this is why I always sit within site of my car when rapid charging and always approach folks that pull up, although last Saturday at hopwood I didnt but to be honest it was raining so hard I didnt want to be stuck outside getting soaked explaining what they could see by looking on the charger screen ( so apologies to the white Tekna guy and his family who pulled up, I was only 5 mins away from leaving anyway )

Registered
I think they should stop the AC side. Renault have stopped supporting the rapid charge rollout and the AC side just prevents the DC side being used when a car such as the tesla or I3 uses it as a fast charger.
So your saying fast charging should be the exclusive preserve of DC cars ?

Administrator
This is why the sooner that Ecotricity start charging for use the better
Not sure your average Model S owner would be priced out, but maybe LEAF and other EV owners might?

He says, making wild assumptions about both "types" of owners... :D

Registered
Not sure your average Model S owner would be priced out, but maybe LEAF and other EV owners might?
We live in a society where the allocation of limited goods and services is done through a willingness to pay for them. The assumption is that those who need it will pay for it. Of course, this is not entirely correct, and so government and other organizations step-in to subsidize goods and services for those who need but cannot pay.

Because Ecotricity is giving away their charging services for free to anyone there becomes this type of debate over who needs it more and who is entitled to it. Surely some EVs have been purchased by owners who made that decision at least in part based on assumptions derived from Ecotricity's generosity. As well-intentioned as that may be the result is a bit contentious as people squabble over the use of a limited-but-free resource.

Registered
hmm all the people I know with lots of money are always very canny when it comes to spending it, I think for most Model S owners at the moment they are just trying it out more than charging on need, I did this for the first few months in my Leaf, just did it because it was there and was free and I wanted to know what it was all about.

I am sure there are a lot of Model S owners that actually just got the car because it was new tech and dont give a hoot about the environment or anything else? but then there are a lot of Leaf and Zoe owners who did just the same, we all like to think that EV drivers are on the forums and know the score but many are not at all and many just want to drive the car and have no interest in the community that surrounds it, I can totally understand that though.

I think Tesla will slam the super chargers in pretty quickly, then this wont be an issue and we sadly wont see many Model-s at the Ecotricity bays.

Registered
We live in a society where the allocation of limited goods and services is done through a willingness to pay for them. The assumption is that those who need it will pay for it. Of course, this is not entirely correct, and so government and other organizations step-in to subsidize goods and services for those who need but cannot pay.

Because Ecotricity is giving away their charging services for free to anyone there becomes this type of debate over who needs it more and who is entitled to it. Surely some EVs have been purchased by owners who made that decision at least in part based on assumptions derived from Ecotricity's generosity. As well-intentioned as that may be the result is a bit contentious as people squabble over the use of a limited-but-free resource.
I doubt many people buy a EV just because there is free electricity out there but the same issue will arrive when ecotricity charge for usage because each car brand wpuld be getting approx the same miles per minute of charge but why should someone hog the 'pump' for an hour or more when there are people waiting just because they want 250 miles range when the other guy wants just 50 miles to get home and there is a other rapid 50 miles away the hogger could stop off there to use?

Administrator
I don't think it's a big or long lasting problem, it's an interesting situation on many fronts but will be difficult for some at times for sure. I think there's no real right or wrong answer.

Premium Member
Really? But isn't the reason rapid chargers are so expensive to install is because they have DC? Perhaps we'd have a better network of chargers if we all used AC?
And Tesla and BMW are supporting these ecotricity sites are they?

Registered
Time is precious for all of us, I will do anything to not have to stop at a rapid charger if I can, once the novelty wears off Models S owners will be the same although having paid upfront for super charging they will all want to get their moneys worth for sure, lots of the super chargers in the states and in Norway are getting pretty busy right now and that even before they are opened up to other makes of cars.

Registered
Those services are 15 miles from me here in Banbury, i have stopped at them a few times, you get lots and lots of interest there, mainly as its right outside Gregs, and there is a coach park right opposite, it also seems to be a popular smoking spot, when ever we stop there in the Leaf we get asked lots of questions, which is nice but some days you dont want it to be honest you just want to charge and go.

Registered

People with plenty of money would just charge for an hour anyways.... who are they? .... OH err Tesla owners!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts