Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
That's three simple things to explain, not much. They could even have a simple website or USB stick with updated details on, a little "primer" for EV owners.

In fact, maybe we should be doing that for them?!
Good idea Paul! I have been thinking for a while there should be a series of easy to understand videos "how do I charge my new XXXX?" as the same questions come up so often!

Premium Member
Good idea Paul! I have been thinking for a while there should be a series of easy to understand videos "how do I charge my new XXXX?" as the same questions come up so often!
For example, here's a short video that could save hours and much pain for LEAF and other CHAdeMO users:

Premium Member
For example, here's a short video that could save hours and much pain for LEAF and other CHAdeMO users:

Useful even for a Zoe owner - you never know when you might need to help someone out (I've done this once already when a lady was struggling at wetherby and I wanted to use the AC).

Registered
I'm not bothered about the whole debate of "want vs need" or "sip vs gulp" since people are people and will just do what they want or suits them best in that moment.
Exactly, hopefully people can keep that in mind in threads like this. Trying to lay down the law about what should be done is rather pointless IMO.

Registered
I used my first Rapid at Ikea yesterday it attracted quite a bit of attention. People looking at the charger and pointing at the lead then walking round the car. It attracted a crowd at one point :)

I could see how we'd soon need more chargers though, can you imagine if there was only one petrol pump at the services?

Premium Member
Exactly, hopefully people can keep that in mind in threads like this. Trying to lay down the law about what should be done is rather pointless IMO.
We've had a few people make suggestions about "what's right" and it's always debated and a very personal view.

I think EV drivers have to accept it's true that people are people and you'll get helpful ones, considerate ones, well-informed ones, lazy ones, polite ones, rude ones, uninformed ones...

If the charge point operators wish to enforce parking or charging restrictions they will, but unless and until that happens then the best we can do for each other is show a little understanding, share our knowledge and help each other out as best as possible to make EV ownership a positive shared experience.

Registered
Fwiw, Tesla did show me how to set up charging in the car. Unfortunately they don't have all the various different brands of charger installed onsite yet, so weren't able to show me the three buttons I need to press on a double headed unit. Shame on them.

Registered
As the AC side of a DBT (ecotricity) rapid doesn't provide any charge timing info whatsoever it would be useful to know if there is a simple way to find out how long a Model S is going to be charging for by it being displayed in the car like a Leaf's blue lights or the Zoe dash screen.

Does such a thing exist?

Anybody know?

Do other makes of rapid charger provide this info?

Registered
As the AC side of a DBT (ecotricity) rapid doesn't provide any charge timing info whatsoever it would be useful to know if there is a simple way to find out how long a Model S is going to be charging for by it being displayed in the car like a Leaf's blue lights or the Zoe dash screen.
No the model S goes dark when you lock the doors and turns out all lights so as not to attract attention to itself

Registered
Doesn't the car charger socket light up under the flap when it is charging and go out when it is done then? I asked a friendly guy with a white Model S who thought that was the case just this afternoon at Cherwell services. He showed me his car and it had a lovely creme leather interior.

Registered
Yeah big mistake, Ecotricity are a good company and they have done great thus far but I have a feeling their insistence on using DBT chargers is going to cost them, these things seem as unreliable as ever at the moment, so we now have far more cars that need to charge, with a still highly unreliable charging network that when it is reliable cant share the load between 2 x cars that are plugged in? on top of this we have car dealerships that are not properly informing their customers about the network, etiquette etc, Isn't Elon advising the government on this?

Registered
I've said it before but I'll say it again. The DBT chargers support load sharing between the DC and AC side but Ecotricity decided not to enable it. That's a mistake IMHO.
Really? I didn't know that. A very big mistake if you ask me.

Registered
What and were would I charge my car? Mine is a zoe and I need them on long trips.what a stupid idea
Ask Renault to install AC rapid chargers. How many "standards" should be supported? Tesla have their own standard and so are installing their own chargers. Renault really didn't think it through when they decided to use a fast charge plug for rapid charging.

Premium Member
Ask Renault to install AC rapid chargers. How many "standards" should be supported? Tesla have their own standard and so are installing their own chargers. Renault really didn't think it through when they decided to use a fast charge plug for rapid charging.
What about BMW, VW and others going in a different way too? I don't think you can blame manufacturers for wanting to go with a different/better ideas at this early stage. Ultimately we'll all end up paying for it as consumers if one "standard" wins or if they all keep going their own way, either way we'll either suffer a the car or charging end in some way!

None of them seem perfect, but from the outside looking in I think the ZOE charges really nicely (having been sat next to them a few times, steady charge rates up to 99%!) and the Supercharger technology and units seem streets ahead of our more popular CHAdeMO installs too. :(

Militant EV driver!
Once Tesla get their CHAdeMO adapter out and there are a significant number of supercharger sites in the country, I think the instances of Teslas "hogging" Ecotricity points that some Leaf drivers think are exclusively for their use will diminish.

However, one has to wonder what is going to happen when more cars start appearing with 200 mile batteries, as has been rumour will appear from GM in the next couple of years. If they insist on sticking with the 50kW charge rate, there is going to be a lot more of this hogging. It's another reason why I think short range EVs are better off with a back-up petrol engine - once EV and PHEV take up reaches critical mass, this is going to be a big issue.

Besides, with the way that the Outlander PHEV is taking off, I think you are far more likely to see those hogging a rapid charger than a Model S in the coming months.

Regarding Ecotricity using DBT - in fact it is a complex relationship between Ecotricity, Charge Point Services, Renault-Nissan, DBT and the OLEV PiP schemes. Ecotricity are just the marketing organisation here really. Because RN did the deal with DBT to build their design under license, and because RN then made the first tranche of chargers available to Ecotricity/Charge Point Services to install and run, that is what they are stuck with. However, now that more public money is funding the doubling up of sites and the EU TEN funded sites, I would argue that perhaps these locations should be re-tendered.

There's no doubt that other manufacturers included more redundancy in their designs and have achieved much better uptime in other countries' networks as a result. I think that in some ways the UK was used as a guinea pig by RN, prior to the large scale roll out in France and elsewhere on the continent.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.