Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably old news for the most hardcore of Tesla fans on here, but anyway...

Musk says some of the delay is due to him being "a perfectionist when it comes to product design," noting that he isn't "completely happy with the product" right now. "It's damn hard to make an SUV in particular that is beautiful and yet incredibly functional at the same time," Musk explains, "it's a harder design problem than the Model S."
http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/20/5429008/model-x-2015-delay-elon-musk-confirms-apple-talks

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
So that puts the UK release of the Model E at, what, 2018?

Release Model X in US in 2015, in UK 2016, release Model E in 2017 and UK 2018?

·
Super Moderator
6,341 Posts
I think people will be really happy when they can finally enjoy the S, E and X, should be really electrifying.

IGMC.

Paul…………….Do you right for the Sun in your spare time:p

·
Banned
558 Posts
So what is the real reason? Concern about sales volume - or profitability - or capacity to build? If you were the guy doing the Gantt chart to commission a new factory, structure your supply chain, complete testing and close of R&D - and the boss says "no it not quite right, I need to play with the design, some more" - you would shoot yourself!.
The project planning for creating a new car production is huge, phenomenally complex and critical to all financial planning. A decision like this would like the proverbial deck of cards! So many impacts!
There has to be a force majeur!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know, you may well be right, but reading on how Apple sometimes would work it wouldn't be entirely without precedent. Maybe they have more in common than just upsetting apple carts in their fields? ;)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Certainly no perfectionist would be happy with the way the 'falcon doors' wobble at the top of their travel after opening. Nobody would mind if Tesla suddenly announced the X was being redesigned with more conventional doors - would they?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I will never buy any car with falcon or gullwing doors. I love the looks but they are totally impractical.

I hope they do redesign out the falcon doors and then decide not to have them on any model in the future. They are fine on supercars where practicality doesn't matter but on a car for everyday use they are dreadful IMO.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
A lot of people say they are waiting on the mythical E class so wonder if some dev time has been put into that and the battery factory hence the delays on the X

·
Banned
558 Posts
If the S is to have 4-wheel drive (and already has a 7-seat version) - is there room for Tesla SUV/Van (US van-type)?
How about Apple taking over the 'E' and giving it the Jonny Ive treatment - perfect in every detail. Looks superb and has inherent robustness!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts