Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been driving EV since 2012, mixture of conversions and OEM. My main car from late 2014 - Feb 2020 has been a 24kWh LEAF Tekna which we fitted a full Nismo suspension/body kit to a couple of years ago.

Unfortunately that LEAF was in a fairly minor bump back in Feb (rear ended in slow traffic) which cracked the carbon fibre bumper, its been taking a while for the rare replacement rear bumper to arrive from Japan.

After a couple of months in various Vauxhall hirecars the insurance company agreed to an EV hirecar. I was able to get a 2017 Model X 75D with ~70k miles on a short term lease with option to buy for a good rate in the height of lockdown. I had that for 7 months and it went back yesterday.

Its the worst car I have ever 'owned' with the worst service I have ever received from a premium brand. As such, I will avoid Tesla and advise others to do the same.

1. Getting setup on the Tesla App - took 4 months. Tesla support disappeared entirely over lockdown and beyond then had a large backlog of requests to work through.

2. Suspension top ball joints (apparently common) squeek at low speed and when turning. They had to be stripped and regreased twice in 7 months.

3. Locked in! I was locked in the car twice. Once for about 15 minutes where I had to wait for ECUs to reset to allow the electric assist doors to open (windows also wouldn't open). I genuinely got to the stage of considering what glass would be cheapest to replace while waiting for everything to reboot.

4. The falcon wing doors are a bit of a gimick but actually great for seating a toddler in a large car seat. Unfortunately the doors have a habbit of hitting things, for me they were able to push over my wheelie bin and clip a wingmirror in an adjacent car leading to a minor cash settlement for a scratch. They aren't practical for UK public carparks

5. Don't seat a toddler, leave the rear doors open and then open the boot after it has been raining unless you want a screaming wet toddler...

6. The rear doors and boot rub when closed which causes occasional squeeks and has worn through the paint in a fair few locations.

7. The most common problem I had, maybe as much in 1 in 3 attempts to start the car throughout ownership and 6 times in one single week, is that either one or both of the screens would fail to boot. This means you have to do a hard reset in the ECUs which takes around 5 minutes. Very inconvenient. A few related issues like audio not always working (radio and things like indicator clicks). Worse occasion I lost the binnacle display on the motorway, it didn't come back until I was able to park and reset ECUs.

Apparently a memory chip in the MCU wears out and tesla quoted around £2000 to replace.

8. The Satnav was pretty good and the large screen comes into its own for when you don't know your way but on a few occasions it outright refused to calculate a route. Even when it had previously known the destination and calculated a route - e.g. when stopping for lunch at a services.

9. Autopilot is a bit of a gimmick still but I can see the appeal and convenience. I've had it attempt to climb a kerb where a white line is painted on the pavement dividing a cycle path and a footpath. It doesn't always see cyclists. I've had it crab out of lane on a well marked motorway on several occasions.

10. One thing that really suprised me is it loses as much as 10 miles range a day without even driving. I guess this is the thermal management and tons of tech being on standby.

Over the course of ownership I drove 2,289 miles and consumed 1,462kWh (measured from my Indra EVSE) which gives an apalling average Wh/mile from the wall of 639 and an average cost (using agile) of 4.5 pence per mile.

11. Tesla service - appalling. Trying to communicate with them or get an appointment has been difficult. We ended up sending the car back rather than getting it fixed in the end.

I never had a problem in 5+ years of LEAF ownership prior to the Tesla. I guess there is a reason the established OEMs don't load this level of tech into their cars!

Credit where due - Tesla Supercharging experience is superb but I used it very rarely - Having a ~200 mile range means you only charge at home unless on very long trips. We took it on holiday 160 miles from home and were able to charge overnight where we stayed.

Needless to say, good riddance. This is literally the worst car I have 'owned' from a reliability perspective, and I include conversions and all old ICE cars I have owned in that statement.

I'm now the proud owner of a 3 month old, ex demo, 62kWh LEAF Tekna (

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
I hear they are improving though.

About Autopilot I saw an item a few days ago where two testing reports showed it wasn't the best - IIRC in one it came second (to GM I think) and the other about 6th, so your experience doesn't really surprise me.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,928 Posts
Interesting that the bad outweighs the benefits of a more modern higher spec car. It must be very disappointing to have your hopes/expectations dashed, but at least you got out of it OK.
It demonstrates to me that a minimalist design is the way to go, although sadly legislators and manufacturers seem not to agree.
I'll also now have to stop being rude to e-tron owners and accusing their car of being inefficient. :rolleyes: :eek:

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
147 Posts
I've been driving EV since 2012, mixture of conversions and OEM. My main car from late 2014 - Feb 2020 has been a 24kWh LEAF Tekna which we fitted a full Nismo suspension/body kit to a coupme of years ago.

Unfortunately that LEAF it was in a fairly minor bump back in Feb (rear ended in slow traffic) which cracked the carbon fibre bumper and its taking a while for the rare replacement rear bumper to arrive.

After a couple of months in various Vauxhall hirecars the insurance company agreed to an EV hirecar. I was able to get a 2017 Model X 75D with ~70k miles on a short term lease with option to buy for a good rate in the height of lockdown. I had that for 7 months and it went back yesterday.

Its the worst car I have ever 'owned' with the worst service I have ever received from a premium brand. As such, I will avoid Tesla and advise others to do the same.

1. Getting setup on the Tesla App - took 4 months. Tesla support disappeared entirely over lockdown and beyond then had a large backlog of requests to work through.

2. Suspension top ball joints (apparently common) squeek at low speed and when turning. They had to be stripped and regreased twice in 7 months.

3. Locked in! I was locked in the car twice. Once for about 15 minutes where I had to wait for ECUs to reset to allow the electric assist doors to open (windows also wouldn't open)

4. The falcon wing doors are a bit of a gimick but actually great for seating a toddler in a large car seat. Unfortunately the doors have a habbit of hitting things, for me they were able to push over my wheelie bin and clip a wingmirror in an adjacent car leading to a minor cash settlement for a scratch. They aren't practical for UK public carparks

5. Don't seat a toddler, leave the rear doors open and then open the boot after it has been raining unless you want a screaming wet toddler...

6. The rear doors and boot rub when closed which causes occasional squeeks and has worn through the paint in a fair few locations.

7. The most common problem I had, maybe as much in 1 in 3 attempts to start the car throughout ownership and 6 times in one single week, is that either one or both of the screens would fail to boot. this means you have to do a hard reset in the ECUs which takes around 5 minutes. Very inconvenient. A few related issues like audio not always working (radio and things like indicator clicks). Worse occasion I lost the binnacle display on the motorway, it didn't come back until I was able to park and reset ECUs.

Apparently a memory chip in the MCU wears out and tesla quoted around £2000 to replace.

8. The Satnav was pretty good and the large screen comes into its own for when you don't know your way but on a few occasions it outright refused to calculate a route. Even when it had previously known the destination and calculated a route - e.g. when stopping for lunch at a services.

9. Autopilot is a bit of a gimmick still but I can see the appeal and convenience. I've had it attempt to climb a kerb where a white line is painted on the pavement dividing a cycle path and a footpath. It doesn't always see cyclists. I've had it crab out of lane on a well marked motorway on several occasions.

10. One thing that really suprised me is it loses as much as 10 miles range a day without even driving. I guess this is the thermal management and tons of tech being on standby.

Over the course of ownership I drove 2,289 miles and consumed 1,462kWh (measured from my Indra EVSE) which gives an apalling average Wh/mile from the wall of 639 and an average cost (using agile) of 4.5 pence per mile.

11. Tesla service - appalling. Trying to communicate with them or get an appointment has been difficult. We ended up sending the car back rather than getting it fixed in the end.

I never had a problem in 5+ years of LEAF ownership prior to the Tesla. I guess there is a reason the established OEMs don't load this level of tech into their cars!

Credit where due - Tesla Supercharging experience is superb but I used it very rarely - Having a ~200 mile range means you only charge at home unless on very long trips. We took it on holiday 160 miles from home and were able to charge overnight where we stayed.

Needless to say, good riddance. This is literally the worst car I have 'owned' from a reliability perspective, and I include conversions and all old ICE cars I have owned in that statement.

I'm now the proud owner of a 3 month old, ex demo, 62kWh LEAF Tekna (

Hooray (y)👏👏👏 at last someone with my experience. I had a S75D and it was a disaster compounded by the worst dealer service I have ever experienced. I just couldn't wait to get rid of it. Took 14 months.

In the dealership multiple times and they never fixed a thing. it was always 'you'll have to bring it back/we cant find anything wrong/the parts will be here in 6 weeks. OTA updates cocked up my my auto wipers & LFA. Trim was a disaster. But what really annoyed me was the wasted £1500 I paid for the premium stereo. the grandchildren couldn't hear their music in the rear seat and no matter how many times I took it in the just failed to fix it or told me there was nothing wrong with it.

I now have an e Niro and the contrast is stark. Good quality build and drive. No issues with it so far 🤞

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I've not had any of the issues you mention with the M3 and found Tesla service to be far better than the VW and Nissan dealer experience I've had before. Its by far the best car I've ever had and I can't see myself moving away from Tesla based on the current offerings on the market.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You aren't alone Mike. They have a long way to go still and the service centres are littered with broken cars counter the popularly peddled idea that Tesla are maintenance free. Many owners get lucky and don't have issues (or Model 3 owners who've had them a few months) but give them time, things do and will break.

I just hope the Model 3 doesn't follow the S and X when it gets a few years old because the service centres can't cope now let alone with huge numbers of 3's needing attention. Sadly the signs aren't good. A lot are going back for fixes fresh from delivery.

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
147 Posts
You aren't alone Mike. They have a long way to go still and the service centres are littered with broken cars counter the popularly peddled idea that Tesla are maintenance free. Many owners get lucky and don't have issues (or Model 3 owners who've had them a few months) but give them time, things do and will break.

I just hope the Model 3 doesn't follow the S and X when it gets a few years old because the service centres can't cope now let alone with huge numbers of 3's needing attention. Sadly the signs aren't good. A lot are going back for fixes fresh from delivery.
They really are testing the patience of the most loyal fans. Here is a vid from James an advocate of EVs and especially the Tesla. Too see & hear his disappointment led me to my conclusion that I won't be buying another one any time soon.

Whats worse is that Tesla won't acknowledge their issues and you are right @Kalua as soon as they try to start servicing that increase in vehicles with their current system there is going to be a world of hurt.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

Had my M3 for 14 months no significant issues. Same with my brother's M3. A minor headlight alignment was dealt with very swiftly and efficiently.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
They really are testing the patience of the most loyal fans. Here is a vid from James an advocate of EVs and especially the Tesla. Too see & hear his disappointment led me to my conclusion that I won't be buying another one any time soon.

Whats worse is that Tesla won't acknowledge their issues and you are right @Kalua as soon as they try to start servicing that increase in vehicles with their current system there is going to be a world of hurt.

It's an old argument, but I have no idea why Tesla haven't partnered with a traditional car manufacturer. The vast majority of an EV is the same as an ICE, and traditional manufacturers have improved their build processes over decades. Tesla is proud company, but they have no substitute for all that experience.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,672 Posts
It's an old argument, but I have no idea why Tesla haven't partnered with a traditional car manufacturer. The vast majority of an EV is the same as an ICE, and traditional manufacturers have improved their build processes over decades. Tesla is proud company, but they have no substitute for all that experience.
You seem to forget history.

Now which OEM are you thinking of that has managed to deliver a new EV without issues?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nissan? LEAF and ENV 200 are pretty solid and reliable in their segments. Over half a million built.

Renault too for that matter, other than a few BCI and heating errors the Zoe is pretty solid.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Except for rapid gate and the worst detiorating battery on the Leaf of course.
Rapidgate on the 40 was way over-reported. There was a software update about 3 months after which pretty much sorts it unless you drive silly mileage.

Degradation terrible on gen 1 and 3 (original 24 and 30) but gen 2, 4 and 5 solid.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,672 Posts
Nissan? LEAF and ENV 200 are pretty solid and reliable in their segments. Over half a million built.

Renault too for that matter, other than a few BCI and heating errors the Zoe is pretty solid.
No issues whatsoever?

You forget a Zoe has been my daily driver since 2015.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,672 Posts
rapidgate on the 40 os way over-reported. there was a software update about 3 months after which pretty much sorts it.

degradation terrible on gen 1 and 3 (original 24 and 30) but gen 2, 4 and 5 solid

Fanboy!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
You seem to forget history.

Now which OEM are you thinking of that has managed to deliver a new EV without issues?
It's not the specific EV components that Tesla needs help with. It's bodywork, trim, quality control, those bits that the traditional manufacturers have been getting right for years.

Take Tesla's EV expertise and match that with traditional build quality - what would be not to like?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts