Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I am now looking at pressing the button on a Model X 75D - after the recent spec increase and price reduction (coupled with the low finance rate).

Looking at the 7 seat configuration (the six looks nice but at nearly £6k option is shockingly expensive) - which will suit a family of 5 well, I suspect.

The UK Tesla site does not seem to confirm whether the second row seats fold flat too.

The recent Tesla video is super useful but I am not sure if this is a US feature only?

(Video and article at:
Tesla demonstrates its new 7-seat Model X with fold-flat second row configuration )

Any insight on this?

Thanks again.
Mark

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
^ I did have a 6 seater X which was written off, currently in a 5 seater loaner.

If you absolutely need to carry stuff than a 5/7 seater with folding flat second row is the best option. I believe all the new custom order 7 seater now use the same 'bench' setup at in the 5, rather than the previous mono-post design of the 6 seater.

The rear leg room in the 5 seater seems less than the 6 seater, I think because the seats cannot move back, but the trade off is the boot is MASSIVE. It's almost too big, to access the deepest part of the boot I have to climb into the boot.

I have another 6 seater X on order, the main advantage of the 6 seater is the 2nd row seats are comfier due to more leg room/adjustability (as confirmed by family members), and clearly the third row passengers have more space. Having said that the 2nd row bench in the X is alot more spacious than the S. There is also a massive gap between the two seats in the 2nd row of the 6 seater which means kid (also my wife) can actually get to the third row without moving the seats!!!

There probably are older 7 seater car with mono post seat designs in the inventory stock if you wanted that option, but if going for 7 seats I think the current custom order 7 seater has more utility.

What ever you deicide the X is a fantastic car, having now done 6.5K in 5 months in two different Xs all I can say is what are you waiting for??

Go and order one already regardless of spec your love it, especially with recent changes to better spec and drop in price :)

If you do need a referral code mine is below:
My Tesla Referral Code

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - fantastic insight and much appreciated.

Quick question - I borrowed/hired a 90d MX for a weekend about 4 months ago.

My only issue was the FWDs... they were very flaky - sometimes working when expected other times not as expected

Have the FWDs got better over time ?

Cheers
Mark

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
^ I personally haven't had any issues. When we vist the in-laws the FWDs make loading our daughter into the car seat so much easier.

One issue to be aware of in mutistory car parks the height sensor only 'see' directly above the middle of the car and if there is a low beam above one half of the car than it woudlnt see it. This is from US forum, but if your aware of the issue than its not a problem.

Overall though for us, with a 14 months old baby the advantages of the FWD far out weigh minor issues - like having to be aware of height of restrictions. Been open/close the doors via the key is a real time saver at nursery pickup. Because I can have car door open and ready action via the key, I can just grab my daughter, walk up car, have the door open before I get to the car, secure the package, and just go, whilst other parents are still faffing with opening the car door whilst keeping a eye on their kid :).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s fantastic thanks again for the insight

My wife remains very sceptical of the FWDs - we had a very bad experience with the 90d we borrowed - I think it was more around the multi-storey car park we ended up in ... £90k for a car and the kids had to effectively crawl out of the car!!!

Also parked near a beach on a windy day - the MX did not like the wind at all. That caused chaos too.

Will pop down to the dealer at the weekend and have a play with the FWDs again!

Big commitment and will be “stuck” with the MX for 4 years if I get it wrong.

My alternative is a MS with 7 seat option - not a bad option but I’m not fully sold on those jump seats at the back - will probably suit my 4 year old for another 2-3 years max...

Well ... first world problems ah !!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,663 Posts
Just watch out for weird low height car parks and use the manual lift to get the doors up. The sensors are very cautious.

It's just one of those things you need to get used to.

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
My alternative is a MS with 7 seat option - not a bad option but I’m not fully sold on those jump seats at the back - will probably suit my 4 year old for another 2-3 years max...
If you spend some time in the X and than jump into a S your be amazed how cramped the S is compared to the X despite been virtually the same size on the exterior. If you don't 100% need 7 seats the 6 seater option really is fan, which is probably why Tesla whacked up the price on that option because it's so popular.

Strangely for me it's my wife who's adement she wanted a X rather than S, and every kid who's been in the car have loved it - to the point where I think w aren't very popular with other parents because their kids keep on asking when they will be getting a X :).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts