Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about two weeks of driving with Model Y LR AWD with 19" Gemini wheels around local roads (around 400 miles) I have to say ride is too firm for my liking and I was wondering if there is anything one can do to make it better. Nissan Leaf has better quality of ride when it comes to pumps and uneven road surfaces at 20 - 30 miles/hour.

Otherwise things are good good with the car, but the constant excessive "shaking" inside the car gets tiring after while..
Rsymons "hold my beer challenge" video (
) is pretty accurate about the ride quality.

Tesla was not my first choice but it is the only car that you could get these days without 9-12 month waiting times.

Maybe one gets used it... Wife doens't think there is anything wrong with the ride quality.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
11,027 Posts
Much as I like bashing stupidly large diameter wheels such as 19" it appears that Tesla had little choice given the all up weight of the Model Y without ending up with a custom tyre just for a limited number of customers. I think that you either need to get used to it or to swap to a different car with smaller diameter wheels and higher profile tyres.

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,746 Posts
After about two weeks of driving with Model Y LR AWD with 19" Gemini wheels around local roads (around 400 miles) I have to say ride is too firm for my liking and I was wondering if there is anything one can do to make it better. Nissan Leaf has better quality of ride when it comes to pumps and uneven road surfaces at 20 - 30 miles/hour.

Otherwise things are good good with the car, but the constant excessive "shaking" inside the car gets tiring after while..
Rsymons "hold my beer challenge" video (
) is pretty accurate about the ride quality.

Tesla was not my first choice but it is the only car that you could get these days without 9-12 month waiting times.

Maybe one gets used it... Wife doens't think there is anything wrong with the ride quality.
Check the tyre pressures aren’t stupidly high, and go as low as you can within the recommended range.

After that, not a lot else you can do without either going to balloon tyres or changing suspension components.

There will be plenty of aftermarket kits for the Y soon, if not already, a set of springs and dampers would likely sort it.

I’m not sure why Tesla made it so hard/undamped, I have a heavy EV with 21” wheels and the ride/control is excellent.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I checked tyre pressure few days ago and it was around 49 PSI so dropped it to 40. It made ride quality slightly better but I think the main issue is when you have pumps on the road very close to each other on different side of the car it really feels like a roller-coaster at worst times... But then again this firmness also makes it much better when driving roundabouts etc there is very minimal body roll.
.. 1st world problems ... Might have to look into aftermarket solutions.. not that I really want to do that, I also suspect you need to inform your insurance company as it is modified and pay higher premiums?

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,746 Posts
Yes I checked tyre pressure few days ago and it was around 49 PSI so dropped it to 40. It made ride quality slightly better but I think the main issue is when you have pumps on the road very close to each other on different side of the car it really feels like a roller-coaster at worst times... But then again this firmness also makes it much better when driving roundabouts etc there is very minimal body roll.
.. 1st world problems ... Might have to look into aftermarket solutions.. not that I really want to do that, I also suspect you need to inform your insurance company as it is modified and pay higher premiums?
You should always notify your insurer regarding modifications, but when I’ve changed just springs and dampers without affecting ride height too much there’s been no premium change. 👍

I had some Koni FSDs on an old S3 I had, great dampers that were valves so they opened up on harsh or repeated hits, not sure if they still make them though.

Anything Bilstein for dampers and Eibach for springs have always improved the ride and handling of any car I’ve fitted them to though.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y, 2022
772 Posts
Why 40? Did you try the recommended 42?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
11,027 Posts
Anything Bilstein for dampers and Eibach for springs have always improved the ride and handling of any car I’ve fitted them to though.
Beware of fitting "coilovers" from unknown manufacturers, particularly where they leave everything "fully adjustable". Even if you get a good set-up they will likely have a relatively short lifespan (10,000 miles between "services" - aka rebuilds is not uncommon). An example of the type of thing, although I have no knowledge of the particular example, is:

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,746 Posts
Beware of fitting "coilovers" from unknown manufacturers, particularly where they leave everything "fully adjustable". Even if you get a good set-up they will likely have a relatively short lifespan (10,000 miles between "services" - aka rebuilds is not uncommon). An example of the type of thing, although I have no knowledge of the particular example, is:

Yes, I’ve never been a fan of coilovers anyway, especially not from manufacturers without a good track record.

Bilstein B6 or B8s have generally been my ‘go to’ damper when replacing worn (or rubbish!) OEM stuff.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Just speaking with a colleague yesterday evening who went to test drive the MY and loved it. I asked him about the ride quality and he said it was excellent. Better than his M3 and previous Mercedes…
Bit odd this. There seems such widely varying views about the MY ride quality. Like no 2 cars are the same. Can we really just put it down to “different strokes for different folks” and what each individual sees as comfortable or too firm or is there some sort of non standardised suspension/damper adjustment that is not quite the same from car to car?

·
Premium Member
Some EVs or other
9,746 Posts
Just speaking with a colleague yesterday evening who went to test drive the MY and loved it. I asked him about the ride quality and he said it was excellent. Better than his M3 and previous Mercedes…
Bit odd this. There seems such widely varying views about the MY ride quality. Like no 2 cars are the same. Can we really just put it down to “different strokes for different folks” and what each individual sees as comfortable or too firm or is there some sort of non standardised suspension/damper adjustment that is not quite the same from car to car?
It’s more likely just that on a test drive you are occupied with other things as well?

The test route you drive is critical also, our M3 is beautifully composed and ‘sporty’ on a well maintained/new road, but on the average broken and worn out B road around here it can feel like a pig.

·
Rosemary
79 Posts
We have had a model s for the past 3+ years, and we are changing to a model y. We had 2 test drives a couple of weeks apart after reading about ride quality. The first one like Tooks said we were probably thinking of other things at the time, so had another 1hour test drive with the sole purpose to pay attention to the ride quality. We drove over the same route that we drove to the showroom in our model s keeping track of the road condition, any rough sretches or potholes we both came to the conclusion it was no different to our model S. No doubt some will see this very strange as we have air suspension on the S, both S &Y make a bit of a thump going over high silent policemen if going about 10 mph or above.
Hope to pick ours you early May , hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
We have had a model s for the past 3+ years, and we are changing to a model y. We had 2 test drives a couple of weeks apart after reading about ride quality. The first one like Tooks said we were probably thinking of other things at the time, so had another 1hour test drive with the sole purpose to pay attention to the ride quality. We drove over the same route that we drove to the showroom in our model s keeping track of the road condition, any rough sretches or potholes we both came to the conclusion it was no different to our model S. No doubt some will see this very strange as we have air suspension on the S, both S &Y make a bit of a thump going over high silent policemen if going about 10 mph or above.
Hope to pick ours you early May , hope this helps.
My wife had our Model 3 LR on 19" Sport alloys from December to Feb. 1st of March she got her Model Y LR on 19" standard wheels. She has now done over 2000 miles in it and loves it. I lowered her tyre pressures from 47 psi on collection to 42psi. The only thing she said is the Model 3 is more "planted" as it's lower sitting with a lower COG .

·
Registered
Tesla MY LR 2022
616 Posts
My wife had our Model 3 LR on 19" Sport alloys from December to Feb. 1st of March she got her Model Y LR on 19" standard wheels. She has now done over 2000 miles in it and loves it. I lowered her tyre pressures from 47 psi on collection to 42psi. The only thing she said is the Model 3 is more "planted" as it's lower sitting with a lower COG .
Yep, having gone from a M3P to a M3SR on 19" sport wheels, we're now on a MY on 19".

My wife is quite happy with the MY. I think it is right on the border between acceptable and not. On smooth motorway tarmac it is quite relaxing, being quieter than the earlier cars. On any other surface it fidget constantly, and broken surfaces or brief imperfections (cats eyes, joints) it jars badly. Tyres are at 42 psi cold.

Different tyres perhaps? Loathe to start changing the suspension. If I don't reconcile myself to it in the next couple of thousand miles is there a convincing alternative?

PS - I often drive a new MIC LFP M3SR+ on 18" wheels and that is much better, quite acceptable.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
11,027 Posts
Comparing M3 ride to MY is unfair, like all SUV/Crossovers the MY has to make different suspension/ride compromises due to greater weight, a higher center of gravity (hence susceptibility to minor camber changes and genuine changes in direction) and larger side area (hence susceptibility to cross winds). Any manufacturer has to balance increasing roll stiffness and bushing compliance against harshness, but where you have two similar cars from the same manufacturer the SUV/Crossover will always either be relatively wallowy or harsh.
To me the M3 has always been on the edge of unacceptable on England's* broken roads even on 18" wheels so I can't see how the MY can work on 19" wheels.

* Just a few miles West we get into Wales and the roads are much better - the M3 suspension works really well there. Perhaps it's some form of geofencing.

·
Registered
2021 BMW iX3 Premier Pro / Nissan Leaf 2021 e+tekna (ordered)
646 Posts
I've not tried the Y, but did test a 3 and an S and X. If the Y is harsher than the 3 I feel for you, as I honestly wouldn't put up with the choppy harsh ride of the 3,let alone worse. As for what you can do? Swap from run flats if they are is usually a big help I found on previous 2 BMW's that came with them factory.

Although I've been pretty impressed with the suspension and ride quality on the 20's on the iX3 so far, seem pretty good, even in m-sport mode they aren't too bad and well damped.

I wouldn't go down the route of swapping out suspension components though, that path lies trouble I'm betting

·
Registered
21 Posts
I test drove a LR on 19s this morning and it’s no doubt a very harsh ride. I don’t understand why Tesla felt that they couldn’t allow some more compliance in a family car. The EV6 and Enyaq are way better in this regard.

That said, I’m keeping my order as it’s a reasonable overall package

1 - 20 of 28 Posts