Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loads of info, no towing yet though.

Reactions: E7EV

·
Registered
92 Posts
Heat pump -wonder if the Europe version will have one? I,m assuming the Europe made Y will be made in Germany, so projected release date of right wheeled drive from August 2021 to UK customers?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Noticed the width is 75.6 inches without side mirrors and 83.8 inches with side mirrors. Just looked at my old MPV, and it's 67 inches wide (without mirrors), so the model Y is really wide! So watch this out if you're thinking of garaging it or have a 'slim' driveway/gates.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. The current manual says it’s not equipped to tow.

Hopefully this may change later on.
Apparently the word is it will, just like the Model 3

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heat pump -wonder if the Europe version will have one? I,m assuming the Europe made Y will be made in Germany, so projected release date of right wheeled drive from August 2021 to UK customers?
All depends on what they mean by cold climates. Think UK is unlikely to have it.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Includes wireless phone charger as standard. See also

·
Registered
92 Posts
Interesting. The current manual says it’s not equipped to tow.

Hopefully this may change later on.
If you go to the Electrek article and the blog attached, you can see the debate on the 'not equipped to tow'...as well as the dimensions of the vehicle and which cars match up with similar dimensions to the Y. Porsche Macon seems the ,similarist'.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
19,179 Posts
If you go to the Electrek article and the blog attached, you can see the debate on the 'not equipped to tow'...as well as the dimensions of the vehicle and which cars match up with similar dimensions to the Y. Porsche Macon seems the ,similarist'.
I may as well just get a Model 3 until the MY turns up then...

·
Registered
92 Posts
A big Thanks to 'burnt crisp2 for signposting us to the 3 articles. Have a look on YouTube -teslsnomics and Ryan Shaw are uploading stuff too this morning.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I'd expect that to be the case as well.

Just odd the first one's don't come with the option.
Aren't these Performance versions which can't tow in the Model 3 either?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Have a look at the Electrek article. It appears to due to gross weights and Max weights that car is designed to carry. 400 kg that includes 5 passengers, so leaves little room for towing weight as part of that figure.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Have a look at the Electrek article. It appears to due to gross weights and Max weights that car is designed to carry. 400 kg that includes 5 passengers, so leaves little room for towing weight as part of that figure.
That's about the same as the Model 3 which can still tow

·
Registered
92 Posts
That's about the same as the Model 3 which can still tow
The USA appear stricter than EU, so the manufactures spec in not to add a tow hitch, so does that leave any liability on the owner, if an accident occurs because you have modified the car in a way that could exceed the gross vehicle weight?

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Presumably the weights shown are for the medium/long range versions? If there's a short range version with about 200 miles offered in UK, I can see that being light enough to tow a small trailer, cheaper, and hugely popular. I've already cancelled an Ioniq order 'coz it can't tow. I can't be the only one waiting for this feature, surely?

Reactions: The4Rs

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Presumably the weights shown are for the medium/long range versions? If there's a short range version with about 200 miles offered in UK, I can see that being light enough to tow a small trailer, cheaper, and hugely popular. I've already cancelled an Ioniq order 'coz it can't tow. I can't be the only one waiting for this feature, surely?
It’s an available option for the Model 3 here and probably will be for the Y as well when it comes out here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts