Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can now order a Model Y in the UK. The delivery date is Early 2022 for Long Range and Mid-2022 for the Performance.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

·
EGGY
1,694 Posts
Agreed, but they'll sell by the bucket load, the self employed with their BIK savings will fill their boots.

Whilst it is a hairy market, next door WBAC'd his M3 performance, 22 months old, 21k miles, £46k. He is saving £13k pa on BIK compared to his BMW 335D, a heap on diesel and it's cost him £5k in depreciation. Must be the cheapest car he's ever run ..... he has always said it's the best car he's ever owned, but it's in the shop with a squeaky suspension at the moment and no sign of it coming out anytime soon, parts order [email protected] up

So for those who have the cash up front (or can afford the loan), you could argue they are cheap cars to run

Reactions: Howie

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,899 Posts
It does seem pricier than was promised, or maybe I’m mis-remembering?!

Agreed they will sell all they can make, although selling EVs doesn’t seem to be that hard at the moment anyway (see the waiting lists) unless it’s an absolute turkey.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
935 Posts
HOpefully not too long till a cheaper model comes. Standard Range 45k?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Premium Connectivity has been cut to 30 days for both Y & M3..

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Reactions: phproxy

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
755 Posts
I saw one at Fully Charged sat next to a Model X, and Model 3. Personally it was a monster compared to the Model 3 and not much smaller than the X. If I could afford one, I would still go for a 3 but that's just me and a preference for smaller cars. As others have said people like their big SUV's and crossovers so it will probably sell well and is priced accordingly.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,592 Posts
It actually makes the SR+ Model 3 look excellent value.

An extra £14,000 just for a little bit more range and more cabin space plus an extra motor seems a lot.
The SR+ isn't bad value by Tesla standards, but you can argue similar about any more expensive car in comparison to it, e.g. a MS Plaid is only slightly bigger, little faster on UK roads and more than twice the price.

To me leasing prices are a better representation of true cost than purchase price, and it'll be interesting to see those. Having said that, @Malcolm Hedges 's neighbour has clearly paid a lot less for his M3P by owning it than he would have by leasing so it isn't always a panacea.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,592 Posts
How is this any better that i4 for the same money?
There is no comparison. Most purchasers will be FanBois of one or the other marque, and they are in different segments (ugly converted ICE, overly large poorly built SUV - I don't want either and am happy to slag them both off! ;) ).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just about to post this too, here's the link to it as it wasn't working for me without the link before.

Hope the price comes down once Berlin is up and running and the 4680s start being implemented, (maybe some new colours then too)
I too am interested to see how the Berlin model is marketed. As Elon said publicly, the Berlin model will be cheaper/lighter with it's one piece chassis and the 4680's will have a greater density giving longer range/lower price compared to current models. My suspicion is it will be sold on parity with the Chinese model but then, in the future, longer range will be an upgrade. Otherwise people are going to feel aggrieved if they pay that much for the older version. Personally, I plan on waiting to see what happens when Berlin starts shipping.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I too am interested to see how the Berlin model is marketed. As Elon said publicly, the Berlin model will be cheaper/lighter with it's one piece chassis and the 4680's will have a greater density giving longer range/lower price compared to current models. My suspicion is it will be sold on parity with the Chinese model but then, in the future, longer range will be an upgrade. Otherwise people are going to feel aggrieved if they pay that much for the older version. Personally, I plan on waiting to see what happens when Berlin starts shipping.
I'd also like to see it in person before buying, so I could compare to the Model 3, I hope they start sending them to the various showrooms now. Milton Keynes and Cambridge being my two closest.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts