Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
MY14 Volt
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I discovered (apologies if you all already know this) that character 10 of your VIN encodes your model year.

From the US forum:
  • 2011: 5 years onstar, 16 kWh battery
  • 2012: 3 years onstar, added button locks on door handles (keyless entry), tail lights slightly different, kWh used stat added
  • 2013: 16.5kWh battery, added hold mode, mylink, no more dual tone color scheme, selectable ERDTT, REMOVED: 30gb HDD, DVD playback, changed default 120v charge setting to 8 amps.
  • 2014: manual charge port door, slightly increased battery depth of discharge, exterior color options changed, 5k price drop
  • 2015: 17.1 kWh battery, 4G LTE + wifi hotspot
My Volt has an E so is 2014. The spec matches - I have a manual charge door, no HDD. But why do I have a 63 plate?

·
Registered
589 Posts
The Americans are very keen on using the term 'model year' but it doesn't follow the calendar year. A 2014 model year car would have been produced during 2013 and made available for sale later that year, hence the 63 plate on your car. If you have a 2014 car, you should also have the updated Panasonic navigation system, as on the car mentioned in this thread.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Reactions: Maxymoos

·
MY14 Volt
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Americans are very keen on using the term 'model year' but it doesn't follow the calendar year. A 2014 model year car would have been produced during 2013 and made available for sale later that year, hence the 63 plate on your car. If you have a 2014 car, you should also have the updated Panasonic navigation system, as on the car mentioned in this thread.
Not sure how I tell RE: the navigation system. I have the black seats, and all the other mods. Annoyingly mine still suffers from the Bluetooth audio wow-and-flutter/pitch variation problem.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Not sure how I tell RE: the navigation system.
Does "Sally Satnav" get her falsetto sister to read out the street names?
The old system has an awful text to voice driver for street names which is shrill. The sat nav voice for "turn left/right etc." is perfectly acceptable.

Reactions: Maxymoos

·
Registered
589 Posts
Not sure how I tell RE: the navigation system.
Unfortunately, no-one thought to copy the photos, for future reference, so, once the car was sold, the images disappeared from the link. However, if you post images of your navigation system here, I'm sure someone will confirm whether it is the later system.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,688 Posts
It would be interesting to get a definite on what Volt year and options were made in RHD. I suspect the followed they RHD Amperas down the line.

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
When the Ampera arrived on our shores in 2012 (I got one of the first) it was similar to the 2013 Volt. It had the larger 16.5kW battery and the Hold mode (actually before the Volt).

The first minor update to the Ampera we call the 2013 model and it added some other 2013 Volt features such as power meter. It is easily spotted by rear armrest - a cost option on the US Volt.

The second minor update to the Ampera we call the 2014 and the main difference is the infotainment which looks different and supports Bluetooth streaming. Few RHD models exist but a larger number of LHD were sold on mainland Europe.

Many of the Volt features never made it to the Ampera, the one we probably miss the most being OnStar, although the more modern Mylink would have been a lot better too...

·
MY14 Volt
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's what my map looks like. And unless you're tone-deaf, you're better off without the Bluetooth streaming, which has real pitch stability problems (something which shouldn't really be possible with digital audio).

20160513_193728.jpg

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
you're better off without the Bluetooth streaming,
Ha. As no Bluetooth audio in my Ampera 2013 I now use a Chromecast Audio plugged into line connected to car WiFi box. Very pleased with quality.

Previously I used a Zune HD with wired adaptor - loved my Zune but Microsoft finally pulled the plug...

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
That's because you're not in Waterlooville.

;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hmm.. very interesting - does anyone know of a UK Volt with the later spec sat nav / head unit (source button/later mapping/manual charge port etc)? Or is it only the later Ampera's that had this spec?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ah..... Doh! I hadn't realised/looked at your profile, and had assumed yours was an later Ampera! So at least they exist :) (I was beginning to wonder). I can't quite make it out from the picture - is yours on a 63 plate?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,688 Posts
Yes 63 but it's a model year 14. Never quite understood that one.
Amurcan model years run from May/June to the following May/June (on build-date). The MY is the year of the end of production.

... must make perfect sense to a nation that gets its dates and months mixed up! :LOL:

·
Registered
707 Posts
... must make perfect sense to a nation that gets its dates and months mixed up! :LOL:
I lived in South America for two years and I have been to England a few times, spent some months in Ukraine, and correspond regularly with people from all over the world... so the whole 7/4/16 way of writing dates is really super inconvenient because it could mean July 4th or April 7th. Now I always write-out the month.... "4 July 2016". Nobody is confused by that.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts