Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd start a thread for Leaf owners to refer to that shows available and most useful mods and additions to the Leaf.

To kick off, here are mine in order of importance (in my mind).
1) Strut covers. I purchased these from ebay here: Strut_covers.jpg Main thread here: Front strut top bearing failure

2) Dashcam. Here is mine: dashcam_install_inside_windscreen_wiring.jpg Here is how I wired it up: dashcam_install_Fuses.jpg I butchered a 2amp dual ciggie lighter usb adaptor and hard-wired it into the fuse box with a piggy-back tapping fuse adaptor. All wiring hidden within the door pillar and headlining. Be sure to buy a dashcam with a built-in GPS. This gives you a real-time speed readout and will record your speed on the video.

3) Wind deflectors, actually more like water deflectors! Keep your seats dry. wind_deflectors.jpg

4) OBD2 OBD2Panalong.jpg This is not available where I got mine but they are still available elsewhere. It works well and auto-connects via btooth, no messing around trying to connect every time as some do.
5) Use an OBD2 extension cable to save the dodgy leaf 30 connector and stop knees from dislodging dongle. obd2_extension.jpg

6) Main beams. The originals are worse than pathetic. main-beam.jpg Be absolutely sure you get the beam pattern right before venturing out
on the roads, do not slap them in and blind oncoming traffic.

7) DRL's and indicators/sidelights/number plate lights replace with LED's. DRLs.jpg Reduce your power consumption slightly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I used 2 pair of these and a big dollop of lithium grease for struts.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
151 Posts
1) Paul Kennett leaf petals for aero wheel alloys 3-6% benefit depending on speed (printed pla)
2) Paul Kennett struts covers (printed pla)
3) replaced both wishbones due to aging rubber integral bushing done by egarage @ Poulton
4) Dala grille block (printed pla)
5) heated seats in the front £25
6) 40v to 13.8v mini battery extender
7) Muxsan 17.6kwh battery extender
8) Leafma heating cutoff switch (fakes the temp on the coolant to reduce consumption by the heating system when you need to clear the windscreen inside)
9) earth plate recall
10) odb2 bt lite plus the leafspy pro beta test + power velocity app
11) ECOCONTACT 6 tyres (on A grade on efficiency for the leaf standard rim size)
12) yellow top optima 12v battery upgrade
13) Paul Kennett charge port switch repair (printed pla)

YET TO DO
1) pretty up all the switches into the car (all functional but messy)
2) hydronics heater install in parallel with ptc heater (still undecided whether necessary)
3) add 150w 12v heater for the winds
4) add extra 12v 4way off the mini 40v to 13.8v extender
5) carloop.io and particle photon to implement new features on canbus
6) Raspberry Pi can bus (similar just for learning purposes)
7) OVMS
8) dashcams
9) 3 phase 11kwh charger install + Time of day charger hack (using particle photon)
10) auto charging the 40v from the L2 charge once sufficient watts are available from supply
11) tow bar to do a bike carrier for 2 heavy ebikes / roof box
12) aero kammback akin to brent hasty's
13) a full rear detachable extender to temporarily increase cargo capacity for holidays
14) Solar roof (waiting for summer)
15) 12v integrated battery maintenance charger / put andersons on the terminals to make this easier
16) put a 62kwh or a 40 kwh under the car instead of the 24kwh
17) blocks to the vents for all but driver to redirect heating for single occupancy done with servos to open and close them

These are in no particular order, generally they will be done when I get time and where I think there is the biggest gain in efficiency.

@Barfly
thanks for putting this up here, hopefully others will hold me to completing the second list.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I know this is for 30/24 Leaf...

Mod to my 62
New Michelin CrossClimate+ tyres changed at 7,000 miles due to poor quality of original
A switch installed on charge flat to prevent a 3rd time the flap coming open at 80mph. There is no indicator that your flap is open.
A long reach phone holder
Cheap matts :) B&M cheap ones
LSP + beta and Icar ODB ll
Several gallons of screenwash
A new wrench and wheel nut socket (Don't remember the size but think is 21mm)
trolley jack used on 30kw

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1) Paul Kennett leaf petals for aero wheel alloys 3-6% benefit depending on speed (printed pla)
2) Paul Kennett struts covers (printed pla)
3) replaced both wishbones due to aging rubber integral bushing done by egarage @ Poulton
4) Dala grille block (printed pla)
5) heated seats in the front £25
6) 40v to 13.8v mini battery extender
7) Muxsan 17.6kwh battery extender
8) Leafma heating cutoff switch (fakes the temp on the coolant to reduce consumption by the heating system when you need to clear the windscreen inside)
9) earth plate recall
10) odb2 bt lite plus the leafspy pro beta test + power velocity app
11) ECOCONTACT 6 tyres (on A grade on efficiency for the leaf standard rim size)
12) yellow top optima 12v battery upgrade
13) Paul Kennett charge port switch repair (printed pla)

YET TO DO
1) pretty up all the switches into the car (all functional but messy)
2) hydronics heater install in parallel with ptc heater (still undecided whether necessary)
3) add 150w 12v heater for the winds
4) add extra 12v 4way off the mini 40v to 13.8v extender
5) carloop.io and particle photon to implement new features on canbus
6) Raspberry Pi can bus (similar just for learning purposes)
7) OVMS
8) dashcams
9) 3 phase 11kwh charger install + Time of day charger hack (using particle photon)
10) auto charging the 40v from the L2 charge once sufficient watts are available from supply
11) tow bar to do a bike carrier for 2 heavy ebikes / roof box
12) aero kammback akin to brent hasty's
13) a full rear detachable extender to temporarily increase cargo capacity for holidays
14) Solar roof (waiting for summer)
15) 12v integrated battery maintenance charger / put andersons on the terminals to make this easier
16) put a 62kwh or a 40 kwh under the car instead of the 24kwh
17) blocks to the vents for all but driver to redirect heating for single occupancy done with servos to open and close them

These are in no particular order, generally they will be done when I get time and where I think there is the biggest gain in efficiency.

@Barfly
thanks for putting this up here, hopefully others will hold me to completing the second list.
Wow-you've been at it! Maybe you need to get a life......as do we all on here probably!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you have a link for the drl you bought and did you have to modify the housing?
And have they lasted well
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have a link for the drl you bought and did you have to modify the housing?
And have they lasted well
Thanks
Steve
Steve- mnftech_led The site is still up but they don't seem to have them listed now. I bought the DRL's complete with the kit for sidelights/turns/number plates. They just fitted without modifications of any kind. DRL's were a bit of a sod to fit though. Once I'd done one side the other was straightforward.

Others who bought the same kit have reported mixed results, some failed soon after fitting but mine have been great since May.

Cheers, Tony.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts