Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona Electric Premium 2022
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,.I'm thinking of purchasing a Mokka e ultimate edition having had a Nissan Leaf for the past 3 years. Just wondered how people have been finding the Mokka e and what the lead time has been please ? Thank you. ( I've arranged to test drive a Mokka e and a Peugeot e208 to choose between the two )

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello,.I'm thinking of purchasing a Mokka e ultimate edition having had a Nissan Leaf for the past 3 years. Just wondered how people have been finding the Mokka e and what the lead time has been please ? Thank you. ( I've arranged to test drive a Mokka e and a Peugeot e208 to choose between the two )
OK I'm going to put my hands up right away. I bought the Mokka e ultimate. Lead time in Sept 21 was about 5 weeks but I had to compromise on colour. Not a huge problem for me. Power Red is a good choice. My requirement was only for my wife and myself so the small back seat not an issue for me. The boot large enough for my 40kg dog and overall large enough for my RC planes. 6ft wingspan Wot4XL. I like the comfort, it drives well enough and the range is adequate. Cold weather closer to 160 miles more temperate weather 180 to 185. I usually run in eco mode but occasionally use sport mode. Which is really too quick for an old guy like me! I do like the look of the Pug but I preferred the Mokkas styling but to be fair it's the same drivetrain isn't it. So how different can it be? Oh and when you get the Mokka on the road my advice is always disable the lane keep assist. I found its corrections to be aggressive unwanted and tbh a bit scary. But I'm quite a traditional driver tbh.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. It's very useful to learn of your experience. I drive with a very light foot and ever so carefully. I test drive the Mokka e and Peugeot in a couple of days. Ride comfort would be my priority. Thank you again.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav Premium Quartz Grey
320 Posts
The lane assist takes a bit of getting used to. We've got it in our ICE Insignia estate and our Corsa-e, initially on the Insignia that we've had for a few years i would turn it off but now its always on. The one in the Corsa is a bit stronger but i still have it on. Generally it only kicks in if it really needs to or you try to change lanes on a motorway\dual carriageway without indicating so it makes you develop the good habit of indicating to change lanes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a way of setting the car to charge to a certain percentage of the battery capacity? A fair few seems to suggest charging beyong 80% regularly has an adverse effect on battery longevity but this seems to be rather controvertial. Does the display show the SOC of the battery ? How accurate have you found the GOM please? Thank you.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The GOM isnt great to be honest, i tend to go on what the display shows as left or rough calculations based on the what the Trip computer is showing in terms of miles done, kwh used etc.

Assuming the Mokka is the same as our Corsa there is only an option for what time you want the charge to start but you cant set and end time or percentage. You are relying on your charger if it has options for start and finish or having a roughish guess of when to start it in relation to when you will take it off charge manually.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The GOM isnt great to be honest, i tend to go on what the display shows as left or rough calculations based on the what the Trip computer is showing in terms of miles done, kwh used etc.

Assuming the Mokka is the same as our Corsa there is only an option for what time you want the charge to start but you cant set and end time or percentage. You are relying on your charger if it has options for start and finish or having a roughish guess of when to start it in relation to when you will take it off charge manually.
Thats interesting. Is there a way to set a finish time for the charging at all from the car ? This might allow one to start and finish when the elctricity tariff is cheap. I am with Octopus Energy and get lower rates from 00.30 to 04.30, I think.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thats interesting. Is there a way to set a finish time for the charging at all from the car ? This might allow one to start and finish when the elctricity tariff is cheap. I am with Octopus Energy and get lower rates from 00.30 to 04.30, I think.
Nope you can only set a time you want it to start through an option in the infotainment or the app. Once you have that set you plug the cable in and press and hold the button next to the charge plug until it goes blue. It will then charge til its full or you unplug.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Test drove a Mokka e this morning and loved it. I prefer it to the Peugeot e-208 and am considering putting an order in for an ultimate edition in Mamba green. Did anyone get any deals with a charger? I have one currently but the lead is not long enough and I am also looking for one where I can set the start and end charge times on the charger as the car does not seem to allow this. The dealer is also offering a £1000 discount on the price. Any thoughts welcome. Thank you.

·
Registered
320 Posts
In terms of charger we got a discounted pod point with choice of tethered or untethered fitted when we got our corsa-e last year.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had quite a episode with podpoint. Let's just say they wanted me to dig up my garden to lay 30m of additional cable, at a cost of 1000 plus . And made me wait weeks before they got round to responding to me. I got a second opinion from a qualified electrician, who actually turned up to view my location. Whereas PP did all this by remote sending questions demanding photos etc. Frankly after a few weeks I requested they go boil their collective heads. ALL of their suggestions were completely unnecessary. Repeat unnecessary.
Got my electrician to fit a wall box using existing wiring (which rated up to 50amps). Only need 32 for a 7kw charger. So I got the 450 vauxhall contribution knocked off final cost of car. I remain utterly disgusted by PP and hope they managed to boil their heads.
Incidentally I installed a cheaper dumb charger didn't get the govt grant but it was about even. If the power network want to control my charging they'll have to be next to it to physically unplug me!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had quite a episode with podpoint. Let's just say they wanted me to dig up my garden to lay 30m of additional cable, at a cost of 1000 plus . And made me wait weeks before they got round to responding to me. I got a second opinion from a qualified electrician, who actually turned up to view my location. Whereas PP did all this by remote sending questions demanding photos etc. Frankly after a few weeks I requested they go boil their collective heads. ALL of their suggestions were completely unnecessary. Repeat unnecessary.
Got my electrician to fit a wall box using existing wiring (which rated up to 50amps). Only need 32 for a 7kw charger. So I got the 450 vauxhall contribution knocked off final cost of car. I remain utterly disgusted by PP and hope they managed to boil their heads.
Incidentally I installed a cheaper dumb charger didn't get the govt grant but it was about even. If the power network want to control my charging they'll have to be next to it to physically unplug me!
Gosh ...those were some rather challenging circumstances ! Glad you got there in the end.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Gosh ...those were some rather challenging circumstances ! Glad you got there in the end.
Cheers. It was a faff alright. The delay meant that the sparky was actually fitting the box whilst we left to go pick up the EV from the dealer. I trust him implicitly he's a friend of a friend. Young chap took the course to install during the pandemic. He was the only one in the class. Think we were amongst the first he did. Very thorough and correct chap. We ended up needing a bigger consumer unit as well. So major works. Worth it though as now we have a spare switch and he found we had a dodgy socket. Lived in our home 30years we were the first owners. Could have caused a fire he found it. Top bloke. So it all worked out for the best in the end.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Its a bit pot luck based on whats needed to install it. We also had the mess about of PodPoint basically using Covid as cover for what i presume they always did of basically making you do the survey for them. We were fortunate however in that our meter box is outside on the front of the house directly in front of where our Corsa is parked. Basically ended meaning the installation involved less than a metre of wiring as they came straight off the meter box and put the pod point just to the right and slightly above which is ideal for where the car is.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes that sounds easier. Mine is in my garage ( I built it) which is detached from the house. I'm end terrace and my garage is 30m from the front door, consumer unit under the stairs. Every other house in the terrace has allocated parking (no garage) but their spaces are even further from their houses. No possibility of them having an EV powerpoint. Given the houses are 30yrs old it just wasn't a consideration then. Under those circumstances , I'm really lucky. Since then my wife bought a 500e so we have two EVs now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys. Just wondered if you charge to full every night ? Is there any official guidance from Vauxhall with respect to charging and ideal SOC?

·
Premium Member
12,481 Posts
If you are still considering a Mokka Ultimate, this came up in my feed and seems a decent deal at £3500 deposit and less than £300 a month. You or a relative need to qualify as a Partner, but it isn't hard.

Reactions: Sri

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you are still considering a Mokka Ultimate, this came up in my feed and seems a decent deal at £3500 deposit and less than £300 a month. You or a relative need to qualify as a Partner, but it isn't hard.

Thank you. I hope to buy it outright. Still thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
12,481 Posts
Thanks guys. Just wondered if you charge to full every night ? Is there any official guidance from Vauxhall with respect to charging and ideal SOC?
Please don't feed the "only use 60% of your battery" trolls ;)

I am sure Vauxhall are fine with you charging full before a long journey or letting it go close to empty if heading home. Neither are 100% or zero of actual capacity.

Reactions: Neilew and Sri

·
Premium Member
12,481 Posts
Thank you. I hope to buy it outright. Still thinking about it.
Be careful, that GFV is very high so buying outright could be more expensive if you only plan to keep 4 years! You can always settle the PCP at any time too, with minimal penalty.

I settled my first Zoe PCP after two months, I was waiting for an EV dealer to do some cosmetic work and sell my Ampera for me (commission sale)

Reactions: Sri
1 - 20 of 33 Posts