Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had my Ampera for one month now, covered 1906 miles, and used 85 litres of fuel, for an average of 101 mpg!

Pretty happy at that. The last week of only short electric only journeys has certainly helped to boost that.

No unexpected quirks yet, although I would love to hack the software that controls the engine, so that I can control the revs, as I often find it engages the engine at high revs, just before stopping, or hitting a descent, at which point it turns it straight off !

I wonder if anyone in the US has tried it on the Volt yet....

As an aside I have only been using standard unleaded. Might try 'super' in the next tank to see if heart at boosts the mpg on petrol.

Joining the 50 mile club in my first month is pretty cool too :)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Excellent stuff. I've also averaged 101mpg after a busy week doing longer trips (it was around 230mpg before that!). On a trip this weekend to Wales and back (around 330 miles) I averaged 56mpg when using the petrol engine alone, running BP Ultimate. That was a mixture of 65mph on motorways and dual carriageways, and then whatever speed I could manage on the Welsh A-roads. On a recent trip to Nottingham and back (about 110 miles) I averaged 85mpg :)

By the way, on the lumpy bumpy up-and-down hills of mid-Wales, there was so much regeneration taking place that the car showed "This Charge: 10.8kWh used", i.e. around 0.2kWh purely from regeneration!

Not managed to enter the 50 mile club yet; it seems my driving routes are generally too short, so a disproportionately large amount of energy is expended on controlling the temperature of the battery pack, and of course some on the climate control.

Definitely loving this car :)

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
That's pretty impressive Lee considering your driving pattern and must be a good improvement on your previous car?

I've had mine just over 8 weeks, but as you know, only had 6 weeks driving. I hit 2,400 miles today and have still only out £45 of petrol in, £20 of which was to get me home from the dealer in Sheffield.

I am pleased with my current lifetime figure of 208.

I reset my main trip shortly after getting home from Sheffield and it now shows this;

I make that 450 mpg so, as you can imagine, I'm pretty impressed.

It will be interesting to see how we get on as our mileages increase.

Derek

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, am definitely impressed, the petrol usage is bang on my predictions when I worked out the running costs before ordering. Am hopeful it might improve slightly as the year goes on, certainly the first 4-5 days I had it were disappointing as I didn't have any means to charge it overnight at home, so that will have cost me a bit of petrol.....
It seems that the petrol journeys drag the economy down far quicker than the electric journeys push it up .......

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
233 Posts
Notable occasion yesterday, after 8 weeks and 4100 miles I had to visit a petrol station.
OK - the car came with a full tank of fuel, and it only took £33 worth, so I could have eked it out for another week, but I needed a pint of milk anyway!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts