Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I charged my new Leaf last night to 100% for the first time since getting it at the start of October to check the battery capacity. I was shocked.

This is a brand new car. 472 miles on the clock, 32 L1/2 charges and 2 QCs

AHr=59.95
SOH=91%
Hx=91.72%

Surely there must be something wrong with this battery with figures that low for a brand new car?

I am speaking to the dealer today.

Super Moderator
Yes that is lower than mine! They have a procedure called the CVLI (cell voltage loss inspection) that they can perform. Let us know how you get on!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spoke to dealer.

They are more than happy to take a look, today if I wanted.

However, I did some digging about on mynissanleaf.com and found this which succests that this is not uncommon for new batteries:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=15743&hilit=brand+new+gids

There they suggest that the BMS (battery management system) needs a few deeper discharge/charge to 100% cycles before it can use the full capacity.

So, before I make any judgements on my new battery I will do a couple of deeper discharges down to turtle and then charge to 100% and see if it improves. If not then they have agreed to take a look.

More in the next day or two then :)

Super Moderator
Did you happen to notice the cell voltage delta when at 100%?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:

I did a 100% to Turtle trip this morning. The energy used was 20.902kWh. Not too shabby at all really.

So, it might just be a reporting issue with LeafSpy... not uncommon until the battery has had a few VLBW to 100% charges.

So it is now on charge to 100% and I will see what the GIDS are later today when it is charged :)

Registered
I've just noticed something about mine. I am down to 60.3 Ah, which I put down to it having been left on charge at the dealers when it was a demo car.

It had 4800 miles on the clock when I bought it and back then was 6 QC + 350 ish L1s.

So about 15 miles per charge ... or 30 if you halve it (as the L1/L2 double counts I believe).

Doesn't seem that bad, charging wise. I may have to do another 100% to Turtle myself.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

After the Turtle to 100% charge today it ended with a slight increase to 263 GIDS... that is 3 up on this morning.

Not conclusive but a move in the right direction so I shall wait until I have done a few more VLBW (won't risk going to Turtle again) to 100% charges and see if it improvess any further.

The mynissanleaf.com thread suggests it could take up to a month.

Registered
it's lower than I'd "expect" but then I only became aware of gids once I got a leafspy. my leaf is now 2.5 years old (I think the car is more like 3.5) and charges to a max of 242 gids, quite often now it's down to 238/9 in a morning.

Registered
I'd just stop worrying about it. The fact that you are seeing more GIDs is just the battery state of charge monitoring system recalibrating, your pack isn't actually holding any more energy. In practical terms it just means that the state of charge estimate will be a bit off, not that your car will have less energy storage.

Registered
I don't know but I have found when I go into the red on the battery. I get a 100% charge but if I have 10% in the battery before the charging I would be lucky to get 90% at the end of the charging

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The fact that you are seeing more GIDs is just the battery state of charge monitoring system recalibrating, your pack isn't actually holding any more energy
Yes. Thanks. I am hoping that is the case.

Registered
Update:
After the Turtle to 100% charge today it ended with a slight increase to 263 GIDS... that is 3 up on this morning.
Will be interesting to see which way it goes, I haven't dared get to Turtle, but have done a couple of VLBW's and mine is going the wrong way
3032 miles 59.74Ah, SOH 91%, Hx 91.3%, GID 260
3603 miles 59.10Ah, SOH 90%, Hx 90.04%, GID 256

I keep telling myself that Leafspy isn't so good on mk2 Leaf's :rolleyes:

Registered
I've just noticed something about mine. I am down to 60.3 Ah, which I put down to it having been left on charge at the dealers when it was a demo car.

It had 4800 miles on the clock when I bought it and back then was 6 QC + 350 ish L1s.

So about 15 miles per charge ... or 30 if you halve it (as the L1/L2 double counts I believe).

Doesn't seem that bad, charging wise. I may have to do another 100% to Turtle myself.
I had never looked at it like that, so mine had 2000 miles on 126 QC's when I got it, so thats about 15 miles per QC, people must have done a test drive and then they brought it back and stuck it straight back on QC :(

Registered
My well looked after battery has lost 4AH in less than one year and most of that was whilst it was being "Nissan Cared For".:mad:
They left it at 100% charge for over 3 months whilst doing an unrelated warranty repair!:confused::eek:
The degradation loss has not been arrested since I got it back either, it seem that their abuse has caused an increased rate of continued capacity loss.
Crazy that Nissan can build such a great car with a technological lead on the rest yet they somehow failed to educate their UK Nissan owned main repairing dealer to follow their own published best practices for battery care:rolleyes:.

I hope sharing this will be a salutary lesson to you all.
My advice is, if it is being "Nissan Cared For" Insist they don't trash yours and keep checking with Carwings to make absolutely sure.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I keep telling myself that Leafspy isn't so good on mk2 Leaf's
This is possible. The LeafSpy developers are incredibly clever in back-engineering the CANBus codes but at the end of the day that is all it is... back-engineered and many assumptions (abeit educated ones) have been made. The original Leaf Spy was developed with the Mk1 so perhaps there are differences. They do have the year of manufacture on the settings so perhaps that must be set correctly to make Leaf Spy more accurate?

Premium Member
The 2nd gen LEAF seems to be more in agreement with chargers (rapid chargers in particular) in terms of battery percentages and things like that. It wouldn't surprise me if they changed the maths/data presented and LEAF Spy hasn't caught up with that yet. Two things battery status related, one built-in and one aftermarket, and both seem to have changed with the MK2.

Super Moderator
Yet we have people with new gen2's reporting 66ah or 67ah...

Registered
The Ah is a direct reading off the Canbus (for Gen 1 and Gen 2) so no calculations or assumptions on the part of Leaf Spy. It is just showing what the Leaf is reporting.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts