Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mods so far
  • Lowered on Eibach Pro springs
  • 18" TTRS rep wheels (18x7.5 et45) Pirelli Centurato P7 Blue tyres 225x45x18
  • De-chrome everything that is chrome
  • Tinted the front C shapes
  • New gloss Black badges with satin black backgrounds
  • H&R rear 10mm spacers
  • Headlight DRL's stay on during daytime (Turned on via CARISTA)
  • New E-golf Logo on rear boot door
Rear Spacers set both wheels on a nice stance

Main Headlight DRL's stay on ALL the time now when switch in is AUTO position

The current car

New Wanted Mods
  • Front Splitter
  • Side Skirts (maybe Side skirt splitters as well)
  • Rear Defuser (if I can figure it out without Exhaust Holes)
  • Roof Spoiler Lip/extension)
  • Undertray (I noticed there is a massive gap between the battery and the Rear bumper that is effectively the same length as the boot floor) Surely not good for aerodynamics ???
TRC front splitter ( I have figured out that the older Golf R bumper is the same shape as the e-Golf one on out cars (including the GTE)
I would also like these Side skirts

I would love to figure out if some of the aftermarket Rear defusers will fit onto the standard bumper (I know a GTE bumper can fit, but I don't want the hassle of changing a whole bumper)

A defuser like this that fits between the FAKE exhaust outlets on the bumper that used to be chrome on my car...

Roof Spoiler Lip or if I can find a flatter longer extension.

Underbody Aero (you can actually buy this piece of Metal for Golf R, but I am sure something could is made from ABS or a composite board)
I don't understand why VW has left this large Hole in the underside of the car when the likes of Tesla's are totally flat from front to rear

Everything I do on the Car I want it to be easily returned to standard. So, for instance, I haven't figured out if the Golf R side skirts are 3M taped onto the car or if they need to be Screwed into the Metal bodywork on the car (the rough underseal cills below the doors) If anything needs screwing I won't be fitting it...

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Underbody Aero (you can actually buy this piece of Metal for Golf R, but I am sure something could is made from ABS or a composite board)
I don't understand why VW has left this large Hole in the underside of the car when the likes of Tesla's are totally flat from front to rear
Darren - your car looks great!

That Underbody aero is style over substance. That undertray looks great but will have no measurable aero effect. As the Golf is designed as an ICE they accept losing control of the underbody airflow to allow the waste heat from the engine to escape. Long before the air reaches the rear "axle" it is warm and turbulent. Retrofitting a flat floor front to rear is too expensive for just the e-Golf - a model that was already expensive to produce. VWs answer is the iD3.
FWIW the original Nissan Leaf has a rear diffuser panel which is for looks alone - there's a massive gap between the battery and the panel where the air goes turbulent around the rear axle beam.

You'll get a measurable benefit from that splitter by stopping the air going under the car in the first place. Just don't let me park your car as I'll no doubt touch it on the kerb ..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darren - your car looks great!

That Underbody aero is style over substance. That undertray looks great but will have no measurable aero effect. As the Golf is designed as an ICE they accept losing control of the underbody airflow to allow the waste heat from the engine to escape. Long before the air reaches the rear "axle" it is warm and turbulent. Retrofitting a flat floor front to rear is too expensive for just the e-Golf - a model that was already expensive to produce. VWs answer is the iD3.
FWIW the original Nissan Leaf has a rear diffuser panel which is for looks alone - there's a massive gap between the battery and the panel where the air goes turbulent around the rear axle beam.

You'll get a measurable benefit from that splitter by stopping the air going under the car in the first place. Just don't let me park your car as I'll no doubt touch it on the kerb ..... :rolleyes:
Thanks for the comments. :)

As far as underbody, I understand why an ICE needs the lack of aero. But when VW was modifying the ICE golf into an EV they made the frontal a lot more aero I just thought now that they didn't need to worry about hot exhausts anymore that they could have made the whole underbelly flat and smooth. Just so they Eek out as much range as possible.
I know I am losing a few miles by having the 18" wheels on the car but I think that lowering the car 25-30mm and also using the best LRR tyres I could find (Pirelli Cenurato P7 BLUE) for this wheel size has pretty much negated my 18" wheel losses on the golf. I might still have a go at the composite rear panel to S**ts & giggles. You just never know along with the lowering and splitter new underbelly aero. I might gain a few miles. Like Tesco says. Everylittle helps :):)

What will be REALLY interesting will be when I put the standard wheels back on the car around the end of Nov (so my nice summer wheels don't get any salt) I wonder will I get more range than average due to the aero mods of the car, coupled with the smaller narrower standard wheels?? 🤔 🤔

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Thanks for the comments. :)

As far as underbody, I understand why an ICE needs the lack of aero. But when VW was modifying the ICE golf into an EV they made the frontal a lot more aero I just thought now that they didn't need to worry about hot exhausts anymore that they could have made the whole underbelly flat and smooth. Just so they Eek out as much range as possible.
I know I am losing a few miles by having the 18" wheels on the car but I think that lowering the car 25-30mm and also using the best LRR tyres I could find (Pirelli Cenurato P7 BLUE) for this wheel size has pretty much negated my 18" wheel losses on the golf. I might still have a go at the composite rear panel to S**ts & giggles. You just never know along with the lowering and splitter new underbelly aero. I might gain a few miles. Like Tesco says. Everylittle helps :):)

What will be REALLY interesting will be when I put the standard wheels back on the car around the end of Nov (so my nice summer wheels don't get any salt) I wonder will I get more range than average due to the aero mods of the car, coupled with the smaller narrower standard wheels?? 🤔 🤔
I'm sure that you will. Lowering 25mm will have helped, and anything that you do in terms of improving the rest of the aerodynamics (splitter and underbody) should help further. The British cycling successes were all built around a series of small improvement rather than a single big innovation.

Out of interest, what are you going to do at the back to smooth the flow without losing the ability of the rear bodywork to avoid grounding (attack angle in off-road terms)? I thought the example that you showed was concentrated on the latter (and either practicality or a vague attempt to look like a racing car diffuser) at the expense of aerodynamic efficiency - it was far from your "flat floor" from front to back, and yet it wasn't the equivalent of a Kamm tail which is where the rear spoiler tailgate spoiler is leaning towards.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm sure that you will. Lowering 25mm will have helped, and anything that you do in terms of improving the rest of the aerodynamics (splitter and underbody) should help further. The British cycling successes were all built around a series of small improvement rather than a single big innovation.

Out of interest, what are you going to do at the back to smooth the flow without losing the ability of the rear bodywork to avoid grounding (attack angle in off-road terms)? I thought the example that you showed was concentrated on the latter (and either practicality or a vague attempt to look like a racing car diffuser) at the expense of aerodynamic efficiency - it was far from your "flat floor" from front to back, and yet it wasn't the equivalent of a Kamm tail which is where the rear spoiler tailgate spoiler is leaning towards.

This Defuser is a purely a visual mod. From what I gather it sits no lower than the underside of the rear bumper.

As far as rear underbody aero goes. I was considering if just the flat underside infill alone would cause less drag or if it might need some Vortex generators on the trailing edge. I mentioned a rear spoiler lip/ Extension because I think I would prefer to find a longer stick on spoiler (there are spoilers that stick over the top of the existing one but extend it by a few inches... whilst I don't really care about the range I have in the golf because it covers what I need from home 98% of the time, hence fitting bigger wheels for looks. I always like the idea that I can make something better than the manufacturer managed.. ie more aero = more range. But then I run the risk of turning the golf into a weird car Like the below pic :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Love Blue masking tape 😍

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I noticed while watching an Id3 vid that it has a very long spoiler and larger side strakes.. Compared with the standard golf.. I might hunt the Internet and see if there is something that looks sporty but might actually have an aero advantage over standard car

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
That last picture shows an effective design but only if the airflow remains attached and effectively the detached turbulent area behind the car is reduced. The rake on the rear roof of the iD3 is much greater than the Golf and hence a longer spoiler on the Golf will have less effect if any at all. The Gurney Flap (rear spoiler lip) is an interesting way to control the point of separation but I suspect is mainly cosmetic.

·
Registered
168 Posts

That is looking sweet. Nice drop and wheel offset.
What changes was made to get the headlamp DRL's to come on as well as the standard DRL's?

I have been looking at doing this, but not been able to fathom out the lighting channels.

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice! Blue KIA Soul in the 3rd photo 😉
My 1st EV was a 2014 Soul EV. Which as you can see I modified as well ... The white parts annoyed me the same as chrome does. Although I intended to wrap the roof as well, I ended up liking the roof on its own and left it white. I couldn't afford the loss in range by changing the wheels or I would have done it.

This is what I would have liked to do with my Kia. I loved the flared arches of it, I thought a set of nice wheels like this would always have great potential for looks. I even wondered what it would look like lowered..

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
View attachment 135840

That is looking sweet. Nice drop and wheel offset.
What changes was made to get the headlamp DRL's to come on as well as the standard DRL's?

I have been looking at doing this, but not been able to fathom out the lighting channels.
[/QUOTE]
Someone from my Local VAG FB group was able to do it via CARISTA I think it was the gadget.. They had done a MK7 GTE also a few days before me..

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
497 Posts
Really wish "dechroming" was a factory option on all cars. It's an acquired taste. We got our Golf mk7 a few years back when there were trim choices with zero external chroming. Much prefer it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Someone from my Local VAG FB group was able to do it via CARISTA I think it was the gadget.. They had done a MK7 GTE also a few days before me..
[/QUOTE]
Any chance of getting some details?

·
Registered
22 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I'd also like to know some more info about this Mod as it's not available thru the OBD apps for the GTE.

·
Registered
116 Posts
also interested in lowering the car .. how much did you spent for it ? does it work with the standard tire ?

also interested in the underbody aero .. will be following this ..

Mods so far
  • Lowered on Eibach Pro springs
View attachment 135798

Everything I do on the Car I want it to be easily returned to standard. So, for instance, I haven't figured out if the Golf R side skirts are 3M taped onto the car or if they need to be Screwed into the Metal bodywork on the car (the rough underseal cills below the doors) If anything needs screwing I won't be fitting it...

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
also interested in lowering the car .. how much did you spent for it ? does it work with the standard tire ?

also interested in the underbody aero .. will be following this ..
Maybe because I lowered the car on Eibach Pro springs 20mm front 30mm rear LINK. This has maybe made the car a little more aero and in effect detracted from the adverse effect that running the car on larger wider wheels are less efficient. Which when I drive the car I don't really notice a huge difference between the standard wheels and the wider ones.

The car runs just fine on the standard wheel package with the lowering springs. I intend to refit the standard wheels in about 1 more month as I don't want my Nice new rims getting ruined over winter. I do intend doing a back to back test between the 2 sets of wheels. I am interested to see if the lowering of the car and using the standard wheels will make the car even more efficient than the standard setup. unfortunately, I don't really have any data from when the car was standard.

STANDARD LOWERED

Since I am recovering from an L5/S1 Discectomy just 5 weeks ago I won't be able to even consider changing the wheels or looking into the underbody aero for a good 4-6 weeks. But I will keep you all posted with my thoughts and any Data I end up getting.

BTW my TRC V1 Front bumper Lip spoiler has arrived. I will also be adding this along with the other mods.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Since I am recovering from an L5/S1 Discectomy just 5 weeks ago I won't be able to even consider changing the wheels or looking into the underbody aero for a good 4-6 weeks.
OUCH - Good luck with your recovery !.
I have had problems with stations 4 & 5 in my back for a number of years now, the pain can be really really bad at times.
Do not be in any great rush to start pushing it to hard, take the time to let your body recover.
Leave any further heavy projects until next spring !.
Take good care.

·
Premium Member
4,081 Posts
STANDARD LOWERED
Every time I see pics of your car lowered I’m reminded that I’ve got a set of H&R lowering springs ready to go on in the workshop.

I like what you’ve done with the vinyl pieces on the wheels in the second picture, have you got a vinyl cutting machine?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Tempted with the springs too but just a bit hesitant. How much difference in comfort and handling has resulted from lowering?.

·
Premium Member
4,081 Posts
Tempted with the springs too but just a bit hesitant. How much difference in comfort and handling has resulted from lowering?.
My experience of Eibach springs in particular over the years, including on my old GTE is that comfort isn’t really negatively impacted, they’re very progressive.

Handling was improved if only for the reduced roll rate and better control under hard braking.

The only criticism I had of them on my GTE was that it made the front end just a little too low and bumper scrapes etc were far more common. But that’s a kind of obvious downside.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts