Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Guardian reports that Robin Hood Energy, Delta Gas and Power, Gnergy and Toto all missed passing on renewable energy subsidies. This is money the suppliers collected from ratepayers but have not paid to the government.

All four are a risk of loosing their licences if they do not pay by the end of the month.

Robin Hood is owned by Nottingham Council.

The Guardian does not mention LECCY (Liverpool Energy Community Company) who are partnered with Robin Hood.

Ecotricity not on the Guardian's short list either

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Sunday Times reported that nine UK energy companies are at risk of failing in the next 12 months. The article is behind a paywall and I don't have a subscription. You'd think my subscriptions to the Financial Times and New York Times would give me access by name recognition.....

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
I'd imagine quite a few will go bust if it's a hard winter and energy prices hike above expected levels too. Ofgem have let far too many dodgy operators just start up without any real plan and any real financial backing.

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be a shame if EcoT go under. Unlike many other small players, they have their own Wind and Solar generation and provide truly renewable electricity. They've also been around a lot longer than many of other small challengers. If they do, I'll probably switch to Scottish Power. < sigh >

Council run Robin Hood and LECCY exist in part to help people switch from rip-off prepayment meter tariffs. People on low incomes should not have to choose between food and heat.

I've seen no mention of LECCY being in trouble but they are partnered with Robin Hood who are at real risk of failing by the end of this month.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
It would be a shame if EcoT go under. Unlike many other small players, they have their own Wind and Solar generation and provide truly renewable electricity. They've also been around a lot longer than many of other small challengers. If they do, I'll probably switch to Scottish Power. < sigh >

Council run Robin Hood and LECCY exist in part to help people switch from rip-off prepayment meter tariffs. People on low incomes should not have to choose between food and heat.

I've seen no mention of LECCY being in trouble but they are partnered with Robin Hood who are at real risk of failing by the end of this month.
I will try not to get too political here but fine social aspirations do not good policy make. As this article indicates, the taxpayers of Nottingham stand to make a colossal loss on investment if Robin Hood goes under:

Looking at a PCW dual fuel comparison for my postcode and usage, RHE would cost me £206 more per year than the cheapest supplier. Single suppliers would come in even cheaper.

I also note that the other big Council run supplier - Bristol Energy - reported a loss of £11.2M in January and it is not expected to make a profit until 2021 at the earliest. Local taxpayers have invested over £27M into this business. This was a Lib Dem initiative in 2010.

A further Council initiative was the setting up of Victory Energy in Plymouth which according to Councillors was going to boost the City’s coffers by £5M. I think that the Company has now been finally laid to rest:

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Ecotricity group are swimming in debt but they seem to have paid off two charges recently. There's still many outstanding and last lot of accounts seem to show a lot of debt but the business is still being treated as a 'going concern'.

It will be interesting to see the latest accounts for up to April 2019 to see which way they are going.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hmm, it'd be a shame if Ecotricity go. I was with them for 12 years because they were clearly doing more to build renewable supply than anyone else. But they got too expensive and I switched to Octopus.

Dale Vince isn't exactly a British Elon, but he's done a lot to change the energy market towards renewables. Probably not well run however. I knew someone who worked for them a few years ago and left. He said they were pretty bad to work for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts