Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

More newbie questions (chargeplacescotland)

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Solarchaser 
#1 ·
Evening,

More daft questions, I notice on the ChargeYourCar app that there is some small print at the bottom of the page on some charge locations saying that a £10 charge applies if you charge for more than 90 minutes!

Given that my car can only charge at 3.5kW it would take 2 hrs for a full charge anyway, theres also the issue that 90 minutes is barely enough time to do anything.

My question is that does the app bill you the tenner after exactly 90 minutes of charge?

If so then I will be giving the network the bodyswerve....

Andy

#2 ·
It's talking about rapid chargers, which you shouldn't be using in a car that can only slow charge. You're absolutely fine on a 3kW/7kW charging post where there is no such restriction.

Note that the same charges exist whether you're using the app or your RFID card. It's a penalty that's set to the specific charging unit, not the app.

To answer your question though. Yes. I believe its once you hit 91 minutes onwards that it will start to calculate the penalty rate until you finally unplug.

#3 ·
Hmm, that seems a bit unfair, the type 2 cable at that location is rated at quite a high power rating, but my cars onboard charge controller will still only draw 3.5kW.

Also the type 2 cable never seems to be used as its only ever Zoes and Leafs that use it and they use the other two cables (CCS & Chamedo)

Andy

#4 ·
Your car can't rapid charge, so it shouldn't be near a rapid charger. There aren't enough of them as it is and they are needed for people to get a quick top up and be on their way, without getting held up by somebody in a PHEV charging at 3kW.

The 2013-2019 Renault Zoe uses this connection to charge on AC Rapid. Its only the new 2020 Zoe that has CCS Support. I can assure you that as one of the most popular EVs in this country, the AC43 connector does get used quite a lot.

Not all rapid chargers can do 2 cars at the same time either. So it would be even more unfair, not just to Zoes at that point if they were having to wait 90+ minutes to use a rapid charger for somebody who not only can't, but also doesn't need to use it.

I urge you to stick to charging at home or at 3kW/7kW public charging posts. I've witnessed on more than one occasion people getting their PHEV keyed or otherwise vandalised by blocking rapid chargers, and have lost count how many times I have seen it cause huge arguments. It's a sensitive subject in the EV community I'm afraid.

#5 ·
I can always leave a large note on my windscreen, I dont mind unplugging if someone has greater need, but this is my closest charger and is beside a bunch of shops so it should really be a destination charger. Ah well probably have to look into getting an outside power source at the house sorted out then.

#6 ·
Phevs are more than welcome on destination chargers. Only Phev that rapid charges is the Outlander, so rapid chargers are not for other phevs. The reason for the overstay fee is because many slow charging phev owners don't go online to find out about charging speeds and etiquette and the only way to educate them is in their purse/wallet.

Thankfully (y) you came on here and asked questions, so you'll be well warned. FYI leaving a note on your car won't work as AC Type 2 is locked by the car, not just when actively charging but until YOU unlock it. More than once I've rolled up to a rapid on a low SOC in my Zoe only to find a merc plugged in to the AC, fully charged with a 7 hour parking ticket on its window. As was quoted to me at the time "you've got the wrong car then!" in this case the same applies to you. ?‍♂

Reactions: 80698
#7 ·
I think I can unlock it remotely, I am looking into that, but I'm literally just down the street, so I'll leave my mobile number on the dash and can be there in a jiffy if someone needs juice.
Like I say, I've not seen anyone use the type 2 cable there yet anyhow and its only for 90 mins

#8 ·
While a note sounds like a good idea, and i've often considered it myself, in practice it doesnt work, because i've found that if i arrive at a charger to find an abandoned PHEV, i wouldnt even get out the car, i'd just drive off with rageface.
The issue isnt quite as bad in scotland, as a PHEV stuck on a rapid AC port doesnt usually stop the DC port from working on the units typically used in Scotland. With some other charge networks the machine can only do one or the other.

#9 ·
The issue isnt quite as bad in scotland, as a PHEV stuck on a rapid AC port doesnt usually stop the DC port from working on the units typically used in Scotland. With some other charge networks the machine can only do one or the other.
What??!! The AC charger can stop the DC unit from working? I had no idea that was even an issue.
Mind you I suppose having 3 charging leads for only 2 parking bays is a bit strange....

Andy

#11 ·
Its rare to even see another EV in a charging space in most of the ones ive been to in Scotland.

Ive only ever had to que in motorway services in England.

And when you do meet another EV driver the conversations are always pleasant in my experience.

The leaf gives you the option to set the lock to be always locked, never locked or to automatically release when charged.
I usually leave mine on unlocked, or occasionally (if my charge is very low) put it on automatic.

So ive come back to rapid chargers a couple of times to find another leaf has taken the charger as mine was finished.... pretty much exactly as you would expect.

Ive came back to slow chargers in shopping venues and found another EV waiting, and offered them the chance to charge as long as i have enough to get home.

Its a shame if you are low charge and pull up to a charger with someone elses car there, be it EV or PHEV, but thats life.
If you are looking for someone to blame, id suggest the person in the mirror is your best bet.

Id certainly never justify keying someones car because id let mine go so low as to NEED the charge, thats a mad way to look at things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.