• Take about the same kWh from public chargers

• Take less KWh from from public chargers

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, it is an assumption that as BEV batteries get bigger with more range, the need for public charging goes down. But if the extra range means the BEV is used more for much longer trips then it could be that the need for public charging actually goes up. So if you have switched to a longer range BEV have your say and comment so we can see what is really happening. Chose one answer from the first three questions and one from the second set of three please. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
It also the many people who would never has brought a short range EV and the people who are replacing their "back up ICE" with a long range EV so both their family cars are EVs.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Thinking about my uses for my EV, in terms of non-rapid charging. I'd say visit about the same but take more energy.

For example, we'd visit a big supermarket most week for 2-3hr long stay (other shops and food joints nearby). It's free and it's the only non-rapid public charging our EV will ever do. The amount of energy we get is limited by the 3.3kW charger in the Leaf and occasionally battery capacity. I don't see me bothering with more public non-rapid charging with a big BEV. I can only see us getting more free juice due to the increased charging capability.

For long trips and rapid charging however, it's the opposite. Big BEV will take similar amount of energy to get to destination. But it requires less stops. So if that's what you meant, the only sensible answer should be less stops same energy. Because why would you drive a 60kWh Kona and do charging stops like a 24kWh Leaf?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Plz clarify; I take it that for the last 3 questions you mean "Take ... kWh from public chargers Each Time You Visit them" ?
Fewer visits but with bigger charge each time could mean the same total kWh being used, and that might broadly match your mileage (but more charge at home may mean less public kWh taken in total), so I assume you're trying to look at how long & how often the public chargers are occupied?
Or did you mean "Take ... kWh from public chargers In Total over the Same Period Of Months" ?

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Plz clarify; I take it that for the last 3 questions you mean "Take ... kWh from public chargers Each Time You Visit them" ?
Fewer visits but with bigger charge each time could mean the same total kWh being used, and that might broadly match your mileage (but more charge at home may mean less public kWh taken in total), so I assume you're trying to look at how long & how often the public chargers are occupied?
Or did you mean "Take ... kWh from public chargers In Total over the Same Period Of Months" ?
Thanks for the comments. The idea behind the last three questions to to find out if folk are doing proportionally more long distance trips than just the biggest battery would allow. Even allowing for the bigger battery and the need for fewer stops are folk buying more electricity from public chargers? Exploring too the notion that as BEVs can replace the 'just in case' ICE, the public chargers get to sell more electricity because folk do more long distance trips and the extra range of the car makes the geographical coverage of the chargers less of an issue. For example lack of chargers close enough stopped me from taking my 24 kWh LEAF up and down the A303. Now with a 94 Ah REX my annual mileage has doubled (replaced LEAF and old ICE) but a higher percentage of the total kWh used now comes from public chargers.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This vote is irrelevant to me, since this is my first BEV after moving from my Qashqai. Perhaps an "If" in the question would be more useful :)
Sorry about that. It is only a small group that can have the evidence of the effect of switching from the first short range EV to a second EV vehicle and how public charging use has changed. Come back when you get your next BEV. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts