Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Official release

First UK National Forecourt EV Roll-Out - ChargePoint Services

They have some rapids and fast chargers in Hampshire. I occasionally use their fast charger in Basingstoke and they are one of the more expensive.

I guess all new rapids are good news, but I am yet to be won over by the idea of putting a single EV charger at a location originally designed for a 5 minute dwell time. Waiting for the charge itself is bad enough, but having to wait to use it would make it even worse.

There are some service stations that have facilities next door and hopefully these are the ones they will target. I note press release doesn't actually say how many locations they are going to deploy them at!

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
It's rapid charging hubs we need not single chargers dotted all over the place. I'd rather see these new rapids being bunched together strategically. I arrived at the new Warwick Harvester Polar ultracharger today to find a Zoe on it and a Soul waiting. I travelled on to Warwick Services Electric Highway. Both rapids were free but within minutes of me starting a charge the one next to me was occupied by another Leaf and a third Leaf arrived to start a queue.

·
Registered
92 Posts
As a user, I would much rather see hubs of multiple rapid chargers. When I use Electric Highway, I plan my stops to be at services with more than one charger.

But as a charge point operated I guess the question is what make most money? Do you get a better return on dispersed single chargers or on hubs?

Part of the answer is going to be down to user behaviour. In locations with plenty of choice such as EH chargers along the M4, I bet that the services with multiple chargers are more used that those with one charger. In areas with few chargers, a single charge point is going to be more profitable as it will get used.

It will be interesting to see how increased consumer choice and competion play out.

·
Registered
303 Posts
It will be interesting to see where the chargers are installed. I suspect they will be in the South (London area) where there is already plenty or Milton Keynes!
It would be nice to think that they would install where there aren't many.
I live in Shropshire, so according to the map there aren't many filling stations, so no hope for us!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
provided it isn't an app-based only service.
The ones in Nantwich (and Crewe?) are touch screen and so easy to use. Currently free and app-less. They have been saying that they will be charging for charging for ages now. I have heard that may happen in October. I suppose that will need an app:(

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,627 Posts
A cautious welcome... provided it isn't an app-based only service.
ChargePoint Genie works with a mobile browser, RFID card or phone call (24 hours). No app needed and in my experience extremely reliable.

It will be interesting to see where the chargers are installed. I suspect they will be in the South (London area) where there is already plenty or Milton Keynes!
It would be nice to think that they would install where there aren't many.
I live in Shropshire, so according to the map there aren't many filling stations, so no hope for us!
From what I can tell, MFG cover the whole country and from what I can tell from the press release, this is the whole network we're talking about. ChargePoint Genie recently sent out a press release claiming they'd placed an order for 1,000 new rapid chargers, so this could well account for a good number of them.

The whole public charging market is still in the early stages of real growth - it's going to take a while to get enough capacity in place in each area. I don't think it will be more than a couple of years before we have three genuinely competitive, national networks (Electric Highway, Polar and ChargePoint Genie). Polar and CPG are making all the right noises at the moment; Electric Highway bimble along as they always have but they're going to have to start shifting on expanding soon or the other two will be along with better alternatives.

·
2,627 Posts
As a user, I would much rather see hubs of multiple rapid chargers. When I use Electric Highway, I plan my stops to be at services with more than one charger.

But as a charge point operated I guess the question is what make most money? Do you get a better return on dispersed single chargers or on hubs?

Part of the answer is going to be down to user behaviour. In locations with plenty of choice such as EH chargers along the M4, I bet that the services with multiple chargers are more used that those with one charger. In areas with few chargers, a single charge point is going to be more profitable as it will get used.

It will be interesting to see how increased consumer choice and competion play out.
CPG recently placed an order for 1,000 rapid chargers, so there is potential for more than one per site. At least CPG are very reliable - I've never seen one out of action in person, and judging by their website they're fixed within a few days.

I would argue at the moment that two per site at as many sites as possible is the best way - a small number of large hubs significantly restricts the options people have for routeing and charging. We should be aiming for quantity and quality.

·
Registered
929 Posts
ChargePoint Services Places £1m Order for EV Charging Equipment to Expand GeniePoint Network - ChargePoint Services

1,000 ? news story says 50 Rapid Chargers from EVTronic , 20K a pop Supplied & Fitted I guess

still 50 new Rapid ' At strategic Locations ' in the next 3 months is a good news story especially if this tails in with the Forecourt announcement , rather than a hotel , some out of the way car park or other intriguing location .

whether is strategic for them or us we'll find out when they start to appear

·
2,627 Posts
ChargePoint Services Places £1m Order for EV Charging Equipment to Expand GeniePoint Network - ChargePoint Services

1,000 ? news story says 50 Rapid Chargers from EVTronic , 20K a pop Supplied & Fitted I guess

still 50 new Rapid ' At strategic Locations ' in the next 3 months is a good news story especially if this tails in with the Forecourt announcement , rather than a hotel , some out of the way car park or other intriguing location .

whether is strategic for them or us we'll find out when they start to appear
Oops- sorry, that'll teach me for posting in a rush and not fact checking....disregard those sections of my previous whilst I work out how to edit!

That said I do think CPG are going in the right direction still.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Used their rapids at 2 independant filling stations and only 1 was installed at each. In fact I havent seen any location with more than 1. They are quite reliable and get fixed fairly promptly but each time I have used one I have always made sure of a plan B and been nervous it would be down. 2 rapids at a location is the way to go and is why I use EH for long journeys.

·
2,627 Posts
The ones in Nantwich (and Crewe?) are touch screen and so easy to use. Currently free and app-less. They have been saying that they will be charging for charging for ages now. I have heard that may happen in October. I suppose that will need an app:(
Are you sure you're talking about ChargePoint Genie and not Engenie? ChargePoint Genie have had a tariff in place from the start - not the best value but just about reasonable, considering they have excellent reliability and are genuinely the speed they claim to be.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
The engenie Rapids are the only ones I've not had hassle of some kind with.

The more chargers there are the better. Shell will have to get a wriggle on if CPG are whacking in 400.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Being in Cumbria if we venture out and about we use the CPG rapids and they are the easiest, fastest and most reliable (never seen one up here out of order) we have come across. No app required, infact they let you register any RFID card when you join up, we use our old EH one. You can register any card (gym, work, vending machine) as long as you know the long code number that is printed on most. They are a little bit more expensive but they simply work.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts