Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

ID.3 1st vs Polestar 2 vs M3 performance - in who's world are they natural competitors?
That's a £37k ID.3 vs a £55k Polestar 2 vs (what is now a) £60k M3 Performance
Bored, paid to do pointless crap, can't be bothered to do real tests journalists put "top-end" ID.3 up against much more expensive cars and then comes up with the surprising conclusion that the more expensive cars are a bit better?

I wish I was a car magazine print journalist so I could get paid for this rubbish.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,645 Posts
Until every manufacturer has a full range of EVs, then this is going to continue to happen.

At the moment, it’s all about ‘here are 3 available EVs, let’s compare them’ isn’t it.

·
Registered
121 Posts

ID.3 1st vs Polestar 2 vs M3 performance - in who's world are they natural competitors?
That's a £37k ID.3 vs a £55k Polestar 2 vs (what is now a) £60k M3 Performance
Bored, paid to do pointless crap, can't be bothered to do real tests journalists put "top-end" ID.3 up against much more expensive cars and then comes up with the surprising conclusion that the more expensive cars are a bit better?

I wish I was a car magazine print journalist so I could get paid for this rubbish.
Like we all drive at 100 mph on the autobahn

For me choice was kia niro (suv size waa a negative), leaf (62kwh needed for range so price and old style cabin), zoe (got range but reading users same issues in cold). ID3 ticked range and apart from software which so long as off/on fixes them I am ignoring for now. Ride is better than old a3 sportback, cornering flatter and even in cold cheaper to run.

Tesla M3 had never considered due to price, now have id3 have looked more for comparison and the steering wheel just looks so cheap in videos. Also length of car means bigger than most parking spots. Shocked when I watched some uk auto pilots videos over how often it would turn off.
Build quality and things like opening boot and water drips into boot make me happier with my choice.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Like we all drive at 100 mph on the autobahn

For me choice was kia niro (suv size waa a negative), leaf (62kwh needed for range so price and old style cabin), zoe (got range but reading users same issues in cold). ID3 ticked range and apart from software which so long as off/on fixes them I am ignoring for now. Ride is better than old a3 sportback, cornering flatter and even in cold cheaper to run.

Tesla M3 had never considered due to price, now have id3 have looked more for comparison and the steering wheel just looks so cheap in videos. Also length of car means bigger than most parking spots. Shocked when I watched some uk auto pilots videos over how often it would turn off.
Build quality and things like opening boot and water drips into boot make me happier with my choice.
For anyone reading the reviews I found watchable and informative rather than tabloid were carwow (was surprised at that) and fullycharged. Fullycharged nailed the normal person stuff rather than pure car nut getting excited.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,566 Posts
For us the perfect EV would have to be the shape and size of the ID3, with the all important hatchback, Tesla software (not autopilot) and a price of £25k. 2 years ago I would have said supercharger use as well, but its really not essential with the number of Instavolt sites on our routes now. If Volkswagan can nail down the software they are the most likely going to be closest when we look for our next EV.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With a bit of effort and thought, it could have been ID.3 vs Leaf vs Kona vs e-Soul, with specs/prices matched

..or M3 performance vs Polestar + PP + extras vs i-Pace.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The top ID3 vs the entry level Tesla M3 is a much closer gap, does seem daft to use the performance version though, perhaps they didnt have access to the standard range car?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Pro S versus M3 is closest price wise before playing with options £50k vs £43k

1st with 58kwh battery is closer on range though

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The top ID3 vs the entry level Tesla M3 is a much closer gap, does seem daft to use the performance version though, perhaps they didnt have access to the standard range car?
That's still a top-end Golf vs a mid-range 3-series (being generous to Tesla) in ICE world......still not a test any car mag would run and not get flak for finding in favour of the 3-series.

I get that there aren't many competitors yet, but they do exist and it's lazy to suggest otherwise, simply to keep getting test M3P's to blat around in for free ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dunno, car is a magazine typically aimed at people who like cars, not only at people who need help buying cars. It’s something shiny to read on the train (when we still caught trains) so no need to take it too seriously.

I also think it could be a fair comparison because some people could afford to spend an extra hundred quid a month or two on their car payment but don’t know if it’s worth it. They are not distinctly different customer groups. I could have stretched to a model three but have a rather expensive bikes and camera habit so got an iD3 instead 😂

still, in a weeks time I can provide an even more pointless comparison, iD3 vs Renaultsport Clio 200😁

·
Registered
225 Posts
Pro S versus M3 is closest price wise before playing with options £50k vs £43k
Except, if you look at realistic / achievable purchase price, ie what people could actually have to pay, then it isn’t as close as that.

You’ll be paying £50k / £47k for the Model 3 LR, no PCP or dealer savings. Where as a Tour (with heat pump and metallic paint) could be bought for £36.5k at the end of last year, or about £37k now.

1st with 58kwh battery is closer on range though
It is, but it also has a number of trim levels that are considerably cheaper than a SR+

I’d agree with @Jon Chalk - a far better comparison would be with a Leaf, Kona and e-Niro. For me, range was the deciding factor, so it came down to the ID3 vs the e-Niro. Lots to recommend them both, but in the end the extra range of the ID3 Tour and the fact I found it more comfortable were the deciding factors. It was also pleasing to end up paying (very slightly) less for it than the e-Niro 4+ would have been.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
65 Posts
I notice the review states:
The First Edition has 100kW charging capability fitted as standard, which enables the speediest possible top-ups at public sites. Entry-level cars have 50kW DC fast charging, which allows a decent top-up in half an hour.

I thought all had 100kW charging?

·
Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
148 Posts
I think all the 'Pro/Pro Performance' cars have 100 kW? And 'Pro S' have 125 kW?

The 'Pure Performance' model, which is the 45 kWh battery with the more powerful 150 PS* motor, seem to be able to take faster than 50 kW charging, as on the German configurator in the technical info bit, they have a quicker 0-80% charge on 100 kW than 50 kW.

Perhaps the slower charging speeds are coming later.

*More powerful for the 45 kWh battery, that is!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I don't know why they bother with the first edition models of any car for this diet of thing because no one can buy them who hasn't already either committed or actually taken delivery. It's a limited edition model which isn't representative of the range.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,686 Posts
I don't know why they bother with the first edition models of any car for this diet of thing because no one can buy them who hasn't already either committed or actually taken delivery. It's a limited edition model which isn't representative of the range.
Some people will pay serious money to get any car first.

I won't but there's enough who will!

·
Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
148 Posts
Well... the 1st is basically a Business with dual zone AC, alloys, and some special trim. All the basics, things like how the car drives, how the interior feels, all that stuff, applies to the rest of the range. Basically the only thing that doesn't is the specific 1st trim bits, which are pretty minor.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,645 Posts
Some people will pay serious money to get any car first.

I won't but there's enough who will!
I got a 1st, but only after a lot of others were first, and whilst it was serious money, it wasn’t as serious as those who went before me, so in that sense I was second, but came out in front? 🤪

·
Registered
121 Posts
Except, if you look at realistic / achievable purchase price, ie what people could actually have to pay, then it isn’t as close as that.

You’ll be paying £50k / £47k for the Model 3 LR, no PCP or dealer savings. Where as a Tour (with heat pump and metallic paint) could be bought for £36.5k at the end of last year, or about £37k now.

It is, but it also has a number of trim levels that are considerably cheaper than a SR+

I’d agree with @Jon Chalk - a far better comparison would be with a Leaf, Kona and e-Niro. For me, range was the deciding factor, so it came down to the ID3 vs the e-Niro. Lots to recommend them both, but in the end the extra range of the ID3 Tour and the fact I found it more comfortable were the deciding factors. It was also pleasing to end up paying (very slightly) less for it than the e-Niro 4+ would have been.
The price we pay is a massive thing as you say.
I got a 1st, but only after a lot of others were first, and whilst it was serious money, it wasn’t as serious as those who went before me, so in that sense I was second, but came out in front? 🤪
Just looked around and what I paid for my 1st is £2k less than current offers on business model. Talking carwow/drivethedeal

1 - 20 of 22 Posts