Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

What's the most efficient way to drive the car, regen wise?

I have Eco mode on permanently. I have regen on Auto. But what's the best default setting within auto?

I mostly drive at Auto/2, but I turned it down to 0 the other day and was amazed at how long the car coasted for.

(This is all urban driving - motorway I sit exclusively on the SCC, and let it do its thing)

So I was wondering - is it more efficient to leave the car coasting for as long as possible on Auto/0, or to have it constantly breaking/accelerating off again on Auto/2?

Thoughts welcome.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
976 Posts
Laws of physics apply. Energy you put in can never be fully recovered, hence coasting is better than decelerating / accelerating.

That being said, in city traffic coasting is not an option so you'll have to do a lot of braking. Regen is actually just a user preference since the brake pedal also applies regen (unless you perform an emergency stop). Personally, I have regen set to 3 (in town and in the mountains) because I can do 99% of the driving without having to move my foot to the brake pedal and only touch it to come to a full stop. Just play around with it and see what you like most.

·
Registered
eNiro 64kWh 2021. Ioniq 38kWh 2020.
1,174 Posts
Laws of physics apply. Energy you put in can never be fully recovered, hence coasting is better than decelerating / accelerating.
In a nutshell, this is the answer. Coast as much as you can (until you have to stop obviously :))

·
Registered
741 Posts
I usually leave it at 0 (no auto) but find the paddles very convenient for applying level 1 or 2 regen on downhill sections in town (where I'd otherwise be speeding even without touching the accelerator since EVs glide so much).

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
Level 3, no auto for me. It's behaviour is predictable, totally adjustable with my foot (which is on that pedal anyway) and other than in ice/snow the fractions of a second additional braking time you'll get are a safety boost.

Reactions: T67M

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,851 Posts
I’m another regen 3 user. You can still coast by feathering the pedal. For methis works out best because of the safety element - I really don’t like coasting when driving in town - and the level of control one pedal driving offers.

The most efficient regen is not braking at all, but that’s not realistic. The next best is to slow down using regen as much as possible to avoid throwing energy away with the friction brakes.

I recently drove a manual ice car with a small engine and felt a moment of genuine panic as I lifted off the throttle and the car didn’t slow down.

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV, Red, 230.4MJ (64kWh) Premium SE (10.5kW OBC)
83 Posts
I use Level 3 with the speed limiter around town and on country roads, and Level 0 with cruise control on motorways to make switching cruise on/off more conformable. Generally I find lower levels of regen hide the jerkiness of an unsubtle right foot (or cruise control switching), while high levels of regen and avoiding Auto mode is more predictable and thus safer. Efficiency wise, driving at a constant speed is the most efficient and can be done equally well with any Regen setting - the setting doesn't affect the drive train of the car at all, just the response curve of the pedal. Any acceleration or deceleration (even so-called "coasting") reduces efficiency.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,851 Posts
As an experiment, did 35 miles on a mix of country roads and dual carriage way with regen 0. That was a slightly different style of driving but made no difference to the overall efficiency figure I tend to get.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts