Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone has produced a summary table of the most reliable to least reliable charging networks? I have had the most success with Instavolt and the least success with ecotricity, however I have also experienced some problems with polar. It would be good to have a summary table of actual stats.

·
Super Moderator
12,213 Posts
I don't think anyone has access to real data across all the networks. EH don't share at all. I'm not sure we can trust the outputs from the others.

Zap Map is not useful for a statistical analysis. I've seen chargers reported faulty because they weren't free. I've seen charges marked faulty because they were on free vend.

Anecdotal reports are not useful.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
In case you wish to start a table of reports, this is my experience for yesterday 27th Jan:

FAILED with Ecotricity at Oswestry Mile End, Successful charge with GeniePoint at Oswestry Morrisons (on a previous occasion had a problem there, but they responded to my e-mail and had the point fixed within one day), also did some charging at Rhug Farm Estate on the A5 west of Corwen (Pod-point destination charger) and had a problem getting started.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think anyone has access to real data across all the networks. EH don't share at all. I'm not sure we can trust the outputs from the others.
That's a shame that real data is not shared. I wonder what the unofficial consensus is amongst members? From the volume of complaints on these boards, it appears that Ecotricity is pretty much at the bottom. But who is near the top?

·
Registered
17 Posts
100% at Fastned - trial i-Pace just before Xmas, two charges both successful. (Unfortunately they only have one UK site).

·
Registered
531 Posts
I can’t believe that the crown would go to anyone other than Tesla! My view based on 19k in 12 months in an e-Golf (including 14 rapid charges in two days) plus 8.5k in 3 months in a Model 3.

·
Super Moderator
12,213 Posts
From the volume of complaints on these boards, it appears that Ecotricity is pretty much at the bottom.
Maybe. Anecdotal reports are a start but not enough to make an accurate table of reliability. We know that EH chargers fail sometimes, but not much more than that.

We could have selective reporting. Perhaps SpeakEV members are more likely to post about EH failures than a fail on another network, like Polar or Source London.

Location is important. For example, I don't think we have that many active members using Source London.

There is also a reporting bias. People complain when a charger doesn't work. They are mostly silent when they do work. EH chargers are mostly at busy Motorway services. EH chargers see more customers, so we see more posts.

Someone could start a user based project. Everyone taking place has to log detailed results of every single public charge attempt. There is still the possibility of sample bias, but perhaps that could be adjusted for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts