Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per title, we need a 7kw type 2 tethered home charge point for a fairly exposed location in West Cornwall, where we get a fair bit of wind and heavy rain, any recommendations would be most helpful.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have read that Viridian charge points are supposed to be built for durability and the tethered version is rated IP66, has anyone got opinions/experience of these?

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
609 Posts
Zappi, for example, is IP65 rated. As I'm sure you know, the second digit being a 5 means it is protected against low-pressure jets (6.3 mm) of directed water from any angle (limited ingress permitted with no harmful effects). That should cope with most weather conditions.

The second digit being a 6 would be for protection against powerful jets (12.5 mm nozzle) of directed water from any direction. That is, the likes of a pressure washer. I don't think even Cornwall equates to that.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
343 Posts
Install a 32a commando socket and plug in the OHME (commando plug) charger when needed. Then the charger could be kept indoors when not required.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I have read that Viridian charge points are supposed to be built for durability and the tethered version is rated IP66, has anyone got opinions/experience of these?
I've installed several Viridian charge points in exposed locations. Super quality diecast aluminium enclosure with good deals.

Even then, additional weather protection to stop freezing rain might be a good idea.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Zappi, for example, is IP65 rated. As I'm sure you know, the second digit being a 5 means it is protected against low-pressure jets (6.3 mm) of directed water from any angle (limited ingress permitted with no harmful effects). That should cope with most weather conditions.

The second digit being a 6 would be for protection against powerful jets (12.5 mm nozzle) of directed water from any direction. That is, the likes of a pressure washer. I don't think even Cornwall equates to that.
Actually the IP rating only applies to dust and water for a new unit. You want something mechanical robust as well. Not flimsy Rolec plasticity like.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Not often a problem in west Cornwall I suspect :)
Yes, too true. Freezing rain inland Highland Scotland can freeze a socketed cable into the charger. No fault of the Viridian EVSE which I think use Phoenix Contacts sockets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts