Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone knows for certain why a car less than 3 years old would any records on government MOT database. I use the MOT Check service to see the mileage per Service\MOT interval of cars that I'm interested in, however, as a matter of curiosity I entered the reg of a 65 plate car with the expectation that there would be no record as the MOT would not be due until September 2018 at the earliest.

To my surprise I have found several cars with a 65 plates that report both the MOT history and mileage for years one and two and in some cases 6 month intervals.

As an example, the reg BV65WTF was first registered on 28/09/15. This car shows MOT history and mileage from tests dated 12/10/16 and 11/04/17 and the current MOT is valid until 10/4/18. Surely the MOT isn't due until 27/09/18, 3 years from the date of first registration.

There are two reasons I can think may result in the scenario, those being:
  • The car was used as a taxi or private hire vehicle and the local authority had a policy of annual or biannual vehicle testing

• The car has was part-exchanged at a dealer and thus when sold on by the dealer the MOT was renewed prematurely so the new owner had an MOT, this does not explain why it would be done for a car less then 3 years old.. but maybe it's standard practice.
    The advert for the car details 1 owner, but this could be incorrect.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'd say for sure the car has been a cab.
I use my soul EV as a cab in Brighton and it will need a council compliance test ( enhanced MOT) when it's 12 months old.
Some authorities insist on bi annual tests.
Interestingly though I can have the compliance done and ask for an mot certificate but do not need to have it. (Mot cert)
If I only have the compliance certificate then mileage is NOT documented.

·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say for sure the car has been a cab.
I use my soul EV as a cab in Brighton and it will need a council compliance test ( enhanced MOT) when it's 12 months old.
Some authorities insist on bi annual tests.
Interestingly though I can have the compliance done and ask for an mot certificate but do not need to have it. (Mot cert)
If I only have the compliance certificate then mileage is NOT documented.
I found out why one of the cars I was looking had an MOT check in years 1 and 2.

The owner on the logbook was a rental firm.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts