Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Zoe failed her MOT today, Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn nearside and offside. Only 16000 miles on a year 2015 car. Is this a common failure on the Zoe? Must admit she is on her second set on front tyres. Maybe the front suspension can't take the weight of the batteries.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,115 Posts
It can. It's basically taken from the Megane. The speed bumps sprinkled left and right are not helping. But it's still too short, bummer. Just saying it's not systematic.

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
If it's close to being in warranty or still in warranty and only serviced by Renault dealers I'd have a crack at some good will against the cost. It's not brilliant for them to be knackered so early.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I just had front shocks and top mounts replaced under warranty. Dec 2015 car with 44k. The dealer initially said they might go 50/50 but asked Customer Services and they agreed to cover the whole cost.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I checked with my Renault dealer who say the car is still under warranty, but they can't look at it for nearly 2 weeks, then they would have to submit a warranty claim which could take more time. As the car failed the MOT today I can't faf about for nearly a month to get the car repaired. Renault price to fix car non warranty in 2 weeks time £447.72. MOT station will fix the car and rest tomorrow, price £210.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have asked for the old ball joints to be returned to me. I wonder if Renault would consider a reimbursement for the parts under warranty?

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's the one PITA I have found (I own a Dacia - Renault budget brand) is that you seem to have to really pester their customer services to get things done under warranty, from my experience. It appears I am not alone either from various tales online of Renault CS in the UK :(

·
Registered
135 Posts
My 15 plate failed its MOT on a front ball joint and a rear wheel bearing 2 weeks ago. It was not cheap to repair either. I'm very disappointed and wondering when I should swap it. Not something I want from a car I've owned for less than a year. I've been put off buying another Renault.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi guys,

I have been fixing some cars as a hobby, worked on a Mitsubishi i-miev and then Zoes, to be honest the quality of the Zoes is not great, the Mitsubishi was build like a bridge, if you tried to overtighten something it would either bend your spanner or your hand, on the Renaults i've snapped bolts without even realising they are tight, the scuttle panel below the windscreen is held on by plastic clips that just break if you breathe on it... its basically a Renault...

Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Same happened to me earlier this year. 25k miles 15 plate. MOT failure for exactly the same description as OP. Not what I expected and it’s disappointing since replacing my old Merc ICE with a used Zoe a couple of years ago has done nothing but save me money (including increasing in value since I bought it!)

I realise one repair bill doesn’t change all this, but the car hasn’t been thrashed so it’s disappointing if the suspension isn’t up to the job.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,018 Posts
I thought EVs were cheaper to sevice?

Track rod ends for the Espace are around £12.50. About 30 mins to fit.

... oh, and never changed them yet, though been getting advisories for 8 years ... ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a very poor view of the Zoe these days. It seems very cheaply built. With the e-Corsa and 208e coming soon, both cheaper than the ZE50, and doubtless other cars soon after, the Zoe will have to earn its keep a little more or sales will drop. I don't think I'd buy another Zoe if other options are available.

·
evezy referral code d6540
801 Posts
I think the morals of this story are:

1. Get your suspension checked by a dealer a couple of months before the MOT is due and/or the warranty runs out.

2. Don’t buy a Renault outright or if you do, change it before end of warranty. PCP, rent or lease.

3. Drive over speed humps like people who’ve had their suspensions lowered, very carefully 🤣

·
Zoe Devotee
7,549 Posts
Just had my Zoe fail MOT. Tyres and a offside ball joint. Ball joint cost buttons. Didn't use dealer for balljoint but instead my trusted small independent. They quoted that their system (where they order parts from) said 3 hours labour and they couldn't believe it would take that long. End of the day they charged me 2 hours labour to fit ball joint and tyres. Seems like Renault are insisting on battery disconnect for any repair work hence the 3 hour time. My small garage didn't seem too concerned about that, ball joint isn't high voltage. Much like the drop links i changed a few weeks ago didn't have big orange cables going into them so I assessed the situation as safe to proceed.

Moral of story, the whole job probably cost less than Dealer would charge for the balljoint alone.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Indeed.

In my Sister in law's case they have replaced both arms.

It's a shame she didn't ask for advice before she booked it in for the service and MOT... I use Formula 1 Autocentre. Always half price for MOTs. And I'd have swapped the arms for her!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same issue with my Zoe for the first MOT in Jan, thankfully was sorted 4 days before the 4 year cover ended..

MOT centre said that it was the same as a renault clio.. which didn't seem like a good choice due to the weight of the car

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a very poor view of the Zoe these days. It seems very cheaply built. With the e-Corsa and 208e coming soon, both cheaper than the ZE50, and doubtless other cars soon after, the Zoe will have to earn its keep a little more or sales will drop. I don't think I'd buy another Zoe if other options are available.
VW ID3 is going to overtake them all. i think. 550km range...similar price to a pile of junk zoe and Corsa and dont even mention Peugeot...hehe

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
17 Participants
foureyes
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing